Is it possible to see the click values of the transients of an audio file?

tcarden

Is it possible to see what the click values are, of the transients of an (audio) percussion loop?

I’m asking because i’ve created a quantize grid based on a 2 bar audio percussion loop and it’s not working. the midi percussion tracks' timing are clearly not lining up. I’ve been wondering about this for some time now

I hope i’m stating this clearly! by click values i mean the smallest timing increments found in the event list window. there are 240 of them per 16th note, which is the default i believe.

thanks in advance

btw - the audio file itself may be a problem. it’s an old Zero Gravity audio loop and the format is not a straight up AIFF or WAV file. that may be causing the problem

7 hours ago, tcarden said:

by click values i mean the smallest timing increments found in the event list window. there are 240 of them per 16th note, which is the default i believe.

In Logic Pro they are called "ticks". You could click-hold a transient, which creates a Flex Marker, and you'll see its bar/beat/division/tick position value in the LCD display while you're holding down the mouse button. Then press Command-Z to undo the Flex Marker creation. 

7 hours ago, tcarden said:

btw - the audio file itself may be a problem. it’s an old Zero Gravity audio loop and the format is not a straight up AIFF or WAV file. that may be causing the problem

It could be. You can convert the file (Control-click the audio region and choose Convert > Convert to New Audio Files). 

Don't hesitate to post some screenshots of your attempt at making this work, or to share an example of a loop that shows the issue, or better yet a Logic project with that loop so that one of us can see what's going on? 

Hey David, a very belated thank you for answering my post. helpful indeed!

btw - i determined the 'quantize to audio problem' is due to the song file itself. I believe it was orginally a Logic 8 file from long ago. I repeated the procedure on a brand new song file and everything worked fine.

thanks again

to Atlas007, no i haven't heard of groove track. i will def check that out

• Like 1