Guitarist wanting to get Logic working like a Loop Station. Anyone managed it yet?

Ben Halliday
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi

I am a long time guitarist and iPad music maker. I have really enjoyed Loopy pro (and HD before that). I have moved to Mac and logic and really enjoying the power, control, and sound quality I am getting. Here comes the but

But, I can't loop easily with Logic Pro (fully up to date OS and Logic). One of the main issues is I can't monitor the guitar when not recording. That is a pain, you want to quickly set up the background then improvise over the top. I also want to use my iRig Blueboard foot controller as a midi controller.

This would all be for live situations. Not pre-recorded

Anyone doing anything like this 

Thanks 

11 minutes ago, Ben Halliday said:

One of the main issues is I can't monitor the guitar when not recording.

You should check your input monitoring settings... of course you can monitor your input signal while not recording.

What's not possible is to stack recordings in cycle mode, i.e. play one phrase over one cycle run and then play on top of that without stopping and restarting record

Edited by polanoid

• Solution
13 minutes ago, Ben Halliday said:

One of the main issues is I can't monitor the guitar when not recording.

Either you use the Input Monitoring button, or you disable the preference "Input monitoring only for the focused track..." in Logic Pro > Settings > Audio > General and simply R-enable the track to monitor it. Software monitoring should be checked. 

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Logic does not provide any means to use it like a Loop Station. You should look into MainStage for this, AFAIK (although I don't use it regularly) it has a looper functionality built in.

Hi thanks of the help

Yeah I heard that, but not sure I want another product. Might move to it or wait for loopy pro to be ported to the mac

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

You should check your input monitoring settings... of course you can monitor your input signal while not recording.

What's not possible is to stack recordings in cycle mode, i.e. play one phrase over one cycle run and then play on top of that without stopping and restarting record

Yup that's what I am finding and is one of the "Issues" 🙂

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Either you use the Input Monitoring button, or you disable the preference "Input monitoring only for the focused track..." in Logic Pro > Settings > Audio > General and simply R-enable the track to monitor it. Software monitoring should be checked. 

That's one of the issues fixed. Thanks David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben Halliday said:

not sure I want another product

You might not know that Mainstage used to be part of Logic. It was spun off by itself, but still shows it's roots in Logic. You get the same sound library, etc.

Plus it only costs $29.99!!! Unfortunately there's no demo so you can try it out before purchasing. There is a Mainstage forum here you should check out. Search for "loopback".

ScreenShot2023-02-28at5_07_44PM.thumb.png.345382efad714f40c17c4e8465b54c52.png

Edited by enossified
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...