Unreliable MIDI signal flow for External Instrument (Roland UM-ONE, Mk III) Logic Pro X 10.7.9

maestrovt
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I am using a Roland UM-ONE Mk III USB MIDI Interface to connect to a legacy Technics digital piano, trying to record MIDI and play it back, from Logic Pro X 10.7.9. I am using the External Instrument plugin. I find that when I open the project and connect the interface, Logic recognizes it, and the device tests correctly with Audio MIDI Setup, but Logic fails to send the MIDI data or receive MIDI data. I have found that I can workaround the issue by restarting Logic, unplugging and replugging the interface, or visiting Settings, MIDI, Reset MIDI drivers. However, there is no consistent process that always works. I find that I don't have this trouble with Ableton LIVE, so I don't think the interface is the problem. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and found a workaround?

• Solution
2 hours ago, maestrovt said:

but Logic fails to send the MIDI data or receive MIDI data.

Are you sure this is the case? Try using Snoize's MIDI Monitor to observe the MIDI data outputted from Logic, and across the various ports. It might be an issue with the driver, perhaps, or a wrong MIDI port reference.

I've never had an issue of Logic failing to send MIDI data when it should, so this seems unlikely to me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and the tip about Snoize, I will give it a try. At first, I wondered if it was me, but after Googling, I did find some other posts that match my experience, for example here in an Apple forum. The main issue is that I can get it to work, eventually, so if there was a driver problem or MIDI port reference problem, I wouldn't expect the behavior. Also, I can observe the MIDI input and output from the Custom window in Logic which shows, time signature, etc. When the MIDI input and output is working, I can see it. I'll see what happens with Snoize.

• Like 1

So further to my earlier message, I installed Snoize and when I launched it, there was a message about stale MIDI drivers. I removed all drivers and reinstalled only those for devices I knew I was currently using. Then, when launching Logic Pro X, I found that the MIDI device in the External Instrument plugin was showing as not available (in parenthesis, with a triangular warning flag). I selected the desired instrument, and the MIDI communication seemed fine. Thanks very much for the helpful tip!!

• Like 1