Raise all volume sliders as well as automated tracks

Jeff Flood

Hello, I need to raise the entire output level of a project to -9 for mastering; including the automated tracks.  If I add a gain on my output/bounce slider it adds too much noise.  Normally I would just select all and raise all of the volume sliders at once but it does not raise the volume of the automated tracks.  If I raise all of the tracks separately from my automated tracks, I will need to raise my automated tracks separately but I like the mix I have now.  Any suggestions?  

Turn on automation view.

Make sure every track has volume automation, if necessary, add a node.

Expand the track header until you see the "Trim" box.

Select all tracks and then move one of the trim boxes up. All tracks will increase relative to this track.

ATTENTION:  this is where you need to make sure that each track has enough headroom, otherwise, your automation line will just be flat at +6dB and it will never go back down correctly after you let go of the trim box.

So on tracks, that have more then -3dB (because you want to raise by 9dB) you need to insert a gain plugin, reduce the highest automation point so it reads -3dB then add the difference on that track in the gain plugin.

Personally, I would set it so that my highest gain would be at 0dB on the fader, leaving another 6dB headroom - but then you will probably have to calculate and change the gain in a lot of tracks.

A side note: because I have to do this kind of operation a lot, I try to set all my faders to -6 dB and then create a mix using the output parameter in plugins or gain plugins or region gain to get a ballpark good mix. Then I will start with automation of the volume fader.