10.8 and X-Touch Controllers

pjl
Go to solution Solved by pjl,

From the 10.8 release notes:

"Track colors are now shown on the channel LCD displays on Behringer X-Touch devices."

I have a setup with an 8-Channel X-Touch and two 8-channel extenders.  The displays on the main controller are coloured as expected but on the extenders the displays are all completely dark.  Everything was working ok (without the colour) before the upgrade.

Anyone else have experience with X-Touch controllers? 

I use one Extender with my X-Touch and am having the exact same experience as you. I’ve tried everything but to no avail. I launched the previous most recent Logic version from an archive to check, the extender works perfectly there. So it’s definitely a 10.8 issue. 

I have filed a report. I hope many people reports this so it gets fixed ASAP!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 5:19 AM, pjl said:

From the 10.8 release notes:

"Track colors are now shown on the channel LCD displays on Behringer X-Touch devices."

I have a setup with an 8-Channel X-Touch and two 8-channel extenders.  The displays on the main controller are coloured as expected but on the extenders the displays are all completely dark.  Everything was working ok (without the colour) before the upgrade.

Anyone else have experience with X-Touch controllers? 

Extenders Now working in 10.8.1 😄 

X-Touch & Extender LED's.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Is this colour scribble strip thing an apple M chip only function? I am on an intel i9 on the latest version of Sonoma and Logic 10.8.1 and my X-Touch scribble strips are the same old monochromatic look they always had. Everything works as expected but there is no colour at all on those scribble strips.

Not a major issue by any means but I am just wondering why.

Alan.

That is a possibility Des though I am not aware of any different models and it has the latest firmware. When I purchased it the instructions said that it would have colour strips when used with other Behringer gear. So I just expected that it would have the colour strips with this upgrade.

I have unplugged it from the Mac, restarted it and the Mac but it just displays the same way as it did before. As I said previously it's not a big deal, I was just wondering why it wasn't working for me as it was for others.

Alan

23 hours ago, des99 said:

so long as it's blue...

Came across this while trekking aimlessly in the wastelands of the internet...(in the last of the V8 Interceptors, with my trusty blue heeler)....

The colors of the entire unit are set with a single Sysex message. The message is as follows:

Full size XTouch (all scribbles red)
F0 00 00 66 14 72 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 F7

Extender (all scribbles red):
F0 00 00 66 15 72 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 F7

All Sysex messages begin with F0 and end with F7, those are not special. The first 5 bytes after the F0 (00 00 66 14 72) are required. The next 8 bytes are what set the colors of each scribble (in order from left to right), followed by F7. The colors are mapped as follows:

00 - Blank
01 - Red
02 - Green
03 - Yellow
04 - Blue
05 - Purple
06 - Cyan
07 - White

So for example, sending this message to a full size XTouch:

F0 00 00 66 14 72 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 F7

Would make the scribble strips blank, red, green, yellow, blue, purple, cyan, and white respectively.

Edited by oscwilde

5 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Came across this while trekking aimlessly in the wastelands of the internet...(in the last of the V8 Interceptors, with my trusty blue heeler)....

The colors of the entire unit are set with a single Sysex message. The message is as follows:

Full size XTouch (all scribbles red)
F0 00 00 66 14 72 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 F7

Extender (all scribbles red):
F0 00 00 66 15 72 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 F7

All Sysex messages begin with F0 and end with F7, those are not special. The first 5 bytes after the F0 (00 00 66 14 72) are required. The next 8 bytes are what set the colors of each scribble (in order from left to right), followed by F7. The colors are mapped as follows:

00 - Blank
01 - Red
02 - Green
03 - Yellow
04 - Blue
05 - Purple
06 - Cyan
07 - White

So for example, sending this message to a full size XTouch:

F0 00 00 66 14 72 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 F7

Would make the scribble strips blank, red, green, yellow, blue, purple, cyan, and white respectively.

Thanks for this OscWilde. Much appreciated. Takes me back to the E-Magic/Notator days ☺️

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Alan Shields said:

Is this colour scribble strip thing an apple M chip only function? I am on an intel i9 on the latest version of Sonoma and Logic 10.8.1 and my X-Touch scribble strips are the same old monochromatic look they always had. Everything works as expected but there is no colour at all on those scribble strips.

Not a major issue by any means but I am just wondering why.

Alan.

Works on my 2018/Intel Mac Mini. Not an M1 thing………yet! 😏

11 hours ago, rAC said:

@Alan Shields Try sending the X-Touch the MIDI strings that @oscwilde posted and see if it reacts. If it doesn’t you may have a defective unit. BTW are you USB, DIN 5-pin or RTP MIDI network cable connected?

Not sure about others who’ve posted but mine is USB via the Apple Display in my sig.

Thanks rAC, I will try that once I get back to my system - most likely a couple of days time. The X-Touch is connected via USB to my iMac and as I have said all other functions work as expected.

@oscwilde thanks for posting those midi strings. I still fondly remember (rose tinted goggles) the Emagic days and the C-Labs days. Great times.

Alan.

• Like 2