musicismygas
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello, what do you suggest is the most efficient and fail-safe way to transfer Logic and all of my saved templates, channel strip/plugin/software instrument settings, to another Mac?

Does Migration Assistant do a pretty good job when transferring over all stock Logic settings and templates?

Or is our only option to manually copy over every single file associated with Logic from their original locations?

Thanks for your help!

13 minutes ago, des99 said:

Migration Assistant should be fine as long as you include all the options.

You can also check this article:

Thanks. So do we still need to go through the manual process even after completing Migration Assistant? Would that not take care of plugin settings, templates, etc. as well?

I'm personally not a fan of migration assistant, I've seen some issues... once bitten twice shy! And I generally prefer to control exactly what I'm moving where and when. 

I also think it's generally worth the time to do a fresh new clean install of macOS and Logic Pro and its sound library on your new machine, then move your custom settings and templates manually. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I'm personally not a fan of migration assistant, I've seen some issues... once bitten twice shy! And I generally prefer to control exactly what I'm moving where and when. 

I also think it's generally worth the time to do a fresh new clean install of macOS and Logic Pro and its sound library on your new machine, then move your custom settings and templates manually. 

Just read the article and it does seem worthwile to manually move those files from the original folders.

Hope that this method isn't as tedious and user error-prone as I assume it to be!

In saying this, could this manual process be done in combination with Migration Assistant?

If so, do we do it before or after?

Or just simply ditch Migration Assistant and stick with wjat you outlined in the article?

Whichever way makes most sense to you. If you can't trust yourself to copy files correctly, then I'd suggest to go for Migration Assistant. You can always check afterwards to make sure.

Like David, I prefer to maintain control over the process, generally, and do these things manually when I set up a new machine.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

• Solution

I would do it the way I've described in the Article, that's what I personally do for myself and for my clients. 

1. Make sure all drives are formatted APFS.
  2. Install the most recent available version of macOS.
  3. Install the most recent available Logic version. 
  4. Install the entire sound library.
  5. Copy your custom settings according to the article. 

It can really be done rather quickly, it's just a few folders that contain most of the settings. 

• Like 3

On 11/7/2023 at 6:32 AM, David Nahmani said:

I would do it the way I've described in the Article, that's what I personally do for myself and for my clients. 

1. Make sure all drives are formatted APFS.
  2. Install the most recent available version of macOS.
  3. Install the most recent available Logic version. 
  4. Install the entire sound library.
  5. Copy your custom settings according to the article. 

It can really be done rather quickly, it's just a few folders that contain most of the settings. 

For sure. Thanks, David

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 6:31 AM, des99 said:

Whichever way makes most sense to you. If you can't trust yourself to copy files correctly, then I'd suggest to go for Migration Assistant. You can always check afterwards to make sure.

Like David, I prefer to maintain control over the process, generally, and do these things manually when I set up a new machine.

Will definitely do the manual route to be absolutely sure