Half of Waveform Showing

BobbyT

Thanks for writing. No, I didn't record one channel on a stereo track. This is happening across multiple tracks with various instruments (kicks, vocals, etc). I attached 2 images. The first image shows a mono file dragged into the Workspace. The second image is the same file enlarged. 

Why does just the top of the waveform appear, but also why does it fully appear when enlarged?

This track was recorded on a different DAW and is MONO.

Thanks

MONO file.jpeg

ENLARGED.jpeg

Edited by BobbyT

Thanks Jordi and David. 

The original file I uploaded yesterday was too large. So I uploaded an excerpt from it, edited and exported in Logic. Once I dragged that file back in, like you, it was okay. Today I attached a smaller version that was exported the same way as the original file. This one has the same issue once dragged into Logic. Thank you.

Edited by BobbyT

@BobbyT, for what it's worth, I could not reproduce the issue with the second file you uploaded in Logic 10.6.3 (which is the latest version I have at my disposal at the moment).

I did a bit more digging and it may be that there's some data in that file that this version of Logic just ignores and that with newer versions of Logic produces this phenomenon. That explains why generating a new version of the file (BIP, etc.) from within Logic, which apparently strips this additional data, takes care of the problem.

The file comes from Digital Performer and there is some metadata chunks that both the Python SciPy library and BWF MetaEdit complain about.

Screenshot2023-11-21at16_17_47.thumb.png.a4573b0015d3f61de8dfa03cc7e2efc1.pngJ.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BobbyT said:

Thank you Jordi. Will the stripping away of info adjust the sound at all?

If you follow @David Nahmani's advice the actual audio data should not be affected, those meta data chunks are themselves separate from the audio data, so removing them should not make any difference to the sound.

Unfortunately I could not find much info about the ones that start with "dp" (dpam, dprn, dpte), but I think we can assume those come from DP.

"LGWV" is actually "Logic Wave", "rgne" apparently comes from Pro Tools, and "acid" is an ACID Loop chunk.

23 minutes ago, BobbyT said:

Many of the files, which were all exported out of DP, have this half wave issue and some don't. I wonder why that might be.

Would be good to compare the ones that do and the ones that don't.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 2

@David Nahmani Thank you David and Jordi. @Jordi Torres I can upload a file (that shows a full waveform) from the same session. Let me know if you'd like to compare. 

Update: Clicking on the region then choosing 1 REGION AS AUDIO FILE and exporting works. Not sure yet what 1 Region as Audio File does to audio and if it is preferable to BIP in this instance. Thank you

Edited by BobbyT