10.8 snapping bug

Huxley

Hi

since upgrading i'm experiencing a quite frankly maddening bug, that means nothing is snapping correctly. whenever i move or copy a box it never snaps to the point i'm dropping it at and either goes half a bar/full bar/or undisclosed amount to a different position. please tell me there's a fix to this. i'm already on relative and i haven't changed my autoload since the upgrade (could this be an issue?)

please let me know. i really dont want to use ableton.

1 minute ago, Huxley said:

it's only occurring on logic though. but open to any other ideas

I understand that you're experiencing the mouse pointer moving after you stop moving it with your input device, but because the mouse pointer is moving, the region is moving accordingly, so Logic is behaving as expected from what I can see. 

It's also worth noting that there have been no snapping issues tied to Logic Pro 10.8 reported so far, so I don't believe this is a Logic issue, more an issue with the input device itself. 

I would try a different input device: a different mouse, or a different trackpad.

You could also try to create a new user account on your Mac and see if the behavior is similar or different. 

Just now, Huxley said:

unfortunately no change with new mouse or on a new profile! 

Ok that's odd!! 🤔

And no kind of 3rd party mouse utility as @polanoid suggested? 

Is the mouse on a hub? Are there other devices connected to your Mac that could be interfering with the pointer movement? Can you try to turn off everything but the mouse, keyboard and display monitor? 

no, no kind of utility or anything else installed that would account for any change. this is why i think it must be a local issue in logic. but like you say, it's strange as no one else has experienced this problem.

not on a hub either. might reinstall to see if that helps. it's only doing it on that single task in logic and nothing else within it

Same here with Huxley, the setting are all the same and ever since the upgrade, the snap just don't work as I expected. been using logic for 5 years now, it never happened before.

I believe it's not a mouse setting thing, since it still works well on my old MacBook. (I've upgraded from intel to m3 so I had to made the logic pro upgrade)

It usually happens while copying file and dragging. It snaps (usually) about but not exactly 1/3 before or after the grid. I'm thinking maybe it's because the default setting was changed to become more precise over the update.

I think it's not a bug, but just different, which is super annoying  

19 minutes ago, hyper said:

It usually happens while copying file and dragging. It snaps (usually) about but not exactly 1/3 before or after the grid.

Still doesn't happen here. What do you mean by "copying file and dragging"? Option-dragging an Audio Region? Could you provide a screenshot video or - if possible - an example project in which this happens?

1 hour ago, hyper said:

Same here with Huxley, the setting are all the same and ever since the upgrade, the snap just don't work as I expected. been using logic for 5 years now, it never happened before.

I believe it's not a mouse setting thing, since it still works well on my old MacBook. (I've upgraded from intel to m3 so I had to made the logic pro upgrade)

It usually happens while copying file and dragging. It snaps (usually) about but not exactly 1/3 before or after the grid. I'm thinking maybe it's because the default setting was changed to become more precise over the update.

so glad i'm not alone.

1 hour ago, hyper said:

Did you watch the video that was posted by Huxley? I am trying to figure out if you're experiencing exactly the same issue, where, when you release your mouse or trackpad, the mouse pointer moves on the screen (and the region in Logic merely follows along as expected). 

It's important to understand that what Huxley is experiencing is not a Logic snapping issue per se: snapping occurs when the mouse pointer no longer moves when you release your input device, but the region snaps to a position that is not the exact position of the mouse pointer. 

If you can clarify the behavior you're experiencing, we'll know better how to help troubleshooting it. 

• Like 1

Not the exactly same problem with Huxley, but I did experience that issue before 10.8, I thought it's just a Logic thing where if the zoom is not big enough, dragging just don't snaps.

My problem appears after 10.8 upgrade, the following is a screen record. I know it doesn't seem wrong in the video, but for previous version, I could always copy the file right on the downbeat where I wanted if I do the same thing.

I believe it's not a bug, rather than a change in the default smart snap setting. (Probably making it more precise which includes the triplet grid of the next beat?)

Also, If I zoom in on the off beat audio, it's not exactly on a triplet as well

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Did you watch the video that was posted by Huxley? I am trying to figure out if you're experiencing exactly the same issue, where, when you release your mouse or trackpad, the mouse pointer moves on the screen (and the region in Logic merely follows along as expected). 

It's important to understand that what Huxley is experiencing is not a Logic snapping issue per se: snapping occurs when the mouse pointer no longer moves when you release your input device, but the region snaps to a position that is not the exact position of the mouse pointer. 

If you can clarify the behavior you're experiencing, we'll know better how to help troubleshooting it. 

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 00.25.16.png

The playhead snapping to in-between grid positions behaviour is indeed new - I just checked in 10.7.3 and a single click into the time ruler always lets the playhead end up on a ruler mark, while in 10.8 it can easily land in between two marks. But that is definitely a different issue than the one the OP describes, so I propose moving this into a separate thread. @David Nahmani what do you think?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, polanoid said:

The playhead snapping to in-between grid positions behaviour is indeed new - I just checked in 10.7.3 and a single click into the time ruler always lets the playhead end up on a ruler mark, while in 10.8 it can easily land in between two marks.

but - this is not a new issue for 10.8. Just checked 10.7.8 and 10.7.9, it happens there as well

• 3 months later...

Same here!
Been using LPX for a living since 2014 through different systems and never had this dodgy snap misbehaviour in Smart mode before.

Just upgraded for M3, Logic 10.8.1 under Sonoma 14.1. Using Apple Magic Mouse.

This is one of the 2 bugs that is driving me CRAZY.

Edited by eduluke