Logic sending unwanted midi clock information to external instrument

jimbolabola
Go to solution Solved by oscwilde,

I'm using Logic to control two external things: TR-8S and hardware Juno synth, but the Juno synth seems to be receiving unwanted "clock like" information.

I've done midi  lock synchronisation from the settings for TR-8S (in the picture) and it's running fine. But somehow it's also maybe sending midi clock information to the Juno which makes it play this weird constant pattern. I can also play normal notes on top but since there is this constant pattern it's unusable. I've tried using E-RM Multiclock or Emagic MT4 to send the midi information to Juno (as an external instrument) but the results are the same. If I disable the external instrument or the "Clock" setting from Midi Sync Project Settings the pattern does stop. But I would of course like to use both of them at the same time.

Any advice? 

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 16.34.03.png

Edited by jimbolabola

Hi Jimbo,

In which exact version of Logic/macOS and which kind of computer are you experiencing this behavior? 

I just tested on Logic 10.8.1/Ventura on my Intel Mac mini and I don't see anything like what you describe when sending MIDI clock out a specific MIDI output port.

You say your Juno is receiving "clock-like" data, it would be interesting if you captured what your Juno is receiving using the free Snoize MIDI Monitor and its "Spy on output to destinations" feature.

J.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick answers, I appreciate it!

@oscwilde, it's Juno-106. 

@Jordi Torres, MIDI Monitor is useful! In the first photo TR-8S is sending clock information. In the second photo it looks like it's also sending some note information. In the third photo the Multiclock seems to be sending the same note information to Juno. Multiclock stops sending this information if I stop the "Sync" from Midi Project Settings for TR-8S.

Any ideas how I can stop TR-8S sending this midi note data to a wrong place?

Cheers!

TR-8S Clock.png

TR-8S Midi Notes.png

E-RM Multiclock.png

• Solution
4 hours ago, jimbolabola said:

Juno-106. 

Been a long time since I've used one, but pretty sure the Juno defaults to Omni On/Poly every time you turn it on.
Perhaps setting it to a channel will make it ignore the TR8-S mystery data - which is presumably sending on Channel 10?
On the Juno - press the MIDI CH button and one of the blue 1-16 buttons (not 10) to change the channel.
If this is the workaround, you'll need to do this each time the Juno is turned on.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jimbolabola said:

Any ideas how I can stop TR-8S sending this midi note data to a wrong place?

Do you need that MIDI note data to be sent anywhere at all? If not the way to turn it off is documented in the TR-8S Reference Manual (not the Owner's Manual) under MIDI (page 46). Seems a bit of a pain as you have to set a bunch of instrument notes to Off. Apparently doing this will also stop the TR-8S from responding to incoming notes (but maybe that wouldn't affect you).

In addition to @oscwilde's idea on changing MIDI channels on the Juno, another approach would be use your Multiclock to remap the incoming MIDI notes to some MIDI channel the Juno is not using, or maybe set it so that MIDI notes coming in to the Multiclock on channel 10 don't go anywhere (not clear if that's possible with that device).

J.

• Like 3