Bouncing in place is bypassing plugins, even though I don't have that box checked.

Sherlap

I just got done bouncing down a whole project with dozens of tracks and having it work properly (tracks bouncing with the enabled plugins).  I opened up another project, and started trying to bounce tracks there and they are bypassing the enabled plugins.  I've tried restarting the program as well as the computer and it's still doing the same thing.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

On 12/6/2023 at 7:37 AM, David Nahmani said:

Can you share how exactly you're bouncing (which menu function you're choosing), along with a screenshot of your bounce settings?

Highlighting the track and right clicking and clicking bounce in place with these settings, as well as with "audio tail" and "vol/pan automation" unchecked

Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 12.50.20 AM.png

On 12/6/2023 at 7:56 AM, polanoid said:

Also, have you checked if Low Latency mode is enabled (you should disable it before bouncing)?

Low latency mode is off. Thank you for your reply.

4 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

So what do you mean exactly by that? Do you see the plug-ins bypassed on the new track? Or do you hear that their processing is not applied to the new resulting _bip audio file? 

The plugin's processing is not applied to the new bip audio file

1 hour ago, Sherlap said:

It's got a few plugins on it.  

Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 1.10.41 AM.png

It's because you're using a Track Stack. Place a MIDI region in the main track of the Stack, make sure it's selected then do File menu > Bounce > Track in Place.

EDIT: Bouncing the MIDI region in the main track of the stack in place also works. I was not in front of Logic so wasn't sure.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I'm sure it is. 

Well @Jordi Torres could you clarify why you wrote “a MIDI region” then?

EDIT: Ah I think I got it now, bouncing the MIDI region will trick Logic into bouncing the sub tracks through the main track’s aux as well.. so, disregard my posts in this thread please 😉

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

It's because you're using a Track Stack. Place a MIDI region in the main track of the Stack, make sure it's selected then do File menu > Bounce > Track in Place.

EDIT: Bouncing the MIDI region in the main track of the stack in place also works. I was not in front of Logic so wasn't sure.

J.

Shoot man, I was pretty sure the other project I was doing this with wasn't bypassing the effects from the stack.  I guess I need to go back and make sure.  What a pain in the balls lol.  I'm gonna try your suggestion later, thank you brotherman.

Edited by Sherlap

10 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

The plug-ins are on the main track of the track stack, so if you bounce in place a region that is on a subtrack, it makes sense that the plug-ins wouldn't be applied to the bounced file. 

That doesn't really make sense, no.  The plugs are applied to the track, so they should bounced with it if they're on.  There should be an option to bypass the stacked plug ins or something.

2 hours ago, Sherlap said:

That doesn't really make sense, no.  The plugs are applied to the track, so they should bounced with it if they're on.  There should be an option to bypass the stacked plug ins or something.

Maybe check out this info on track stacks - Folder and Summing - and the concepts behind/use cases for each.
There is a "logic" to it, if you'll pardon the pun:
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcp9bc4b63d/mac

20 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

J.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean.  Could you explain it a little more please?  I'm making midi tracks in the stack and tried bouncing the real one, and also tried highlighting the real one and the midi and hitting "bounce and merge" and they're not working and apparently I'm not understanding what you're explaining.

34 minutes ago, Sherlap said:

I'm trying to figure out what you mean.  Could you explain it a little more please?  I'm making midi tracks in the stack and tried bouncing the real one, and also tried highlighting the real one and the midi and hitting "bounce and merge" and they're not working and apparently I'm not understanding what you're explaining.

MIDIRegionMainTrackStack.gif.3b484f3105e0926e8dd4b8e3b692d2d3.gif

J.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sherlap said:

That doesn't really make sense, no.  The plugs are applied to the track, so they should bounced with it if they're on.

The plug-ins on your screenshot are not applied to the "bass" track (left channel strip in the inspector - track 3 in the Tracks area) where the region you're bouncing is. They are on the "Bass guitar" track (right channel strip in the inspector - track 2 in the Tracks area).

The idea is, only plug-ins applied to the track where the region is located are applied to the "bounce in place" file. 

In a summing track stack, all the subtracks have their output set to a bus routed to the main track. They are summed onto that main track and the effects on the main track are applied to the sum of all subtracks. 

Take for example a drumkit. Your subtracks are kick, snare, hat and overhead microphones. They are summed and you're compressing the entire drumkit on the main track. If you bounce in place only one kick region through that compressor, the compressor would act completely differently and the resulting sound would be different from its intended purpose: compressing the entire drumkit.

For that reason, the plug-ins that are downstream in the routing of the region you're bouncing are not applied in the resulting bounced file. 

So on your screenshot, if you had plug-ins inserted on the selected track (bass), they would be applied. But the plug-ins on the main track of the summing stack (Bass guitar) are not. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 11:21 PM, Jordi Torres said:

MIDIRegionMainTrackStack.gif.3b484f3105e0926e8dd4b8e3b692d2d3.gif

J.

So I tried what I think you were illustrating and bouncing the track was still coming out without the plugins on.  So then highlighting the track and the empty midi track and hitting "bounce in place" under "bounce and join" and it seems to bounce with the plugins on, but for some reason the track is now louder.  Perhaps because it converts it to stereo?  I think I'm at having to just drag the plug from the stacks into each of the tracks and bouncing them that way.  Appreciate your help. 

ScreenShot2023-12-10at3_05.06PM(3).thumb.png.fc1d8a3ee40af69b0aa1d1dd7d54efe5.png

12 hours ago, Sherlap said:

for some reason the track is now louder.  Perhaps because it converts it to stereo?

What are you comparing exactly? Did you bring back the bip file onto the same track that is still routed through the plug-ins? That would mean you're processing the audio through the same plug-ins again, so they've processed twice: once during bouncing, and a second time now when you play it back. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

What are you comparing exactly? Did you bring back the bip file onto the same track that is still routed through the plug-ins? That would mean you're processing the audio through the same plug-ins again, so they've processed twice: once during bouncing, and a second time now when you play it back. 

I'm turning off the plugins when I move them back.

22 hours ago, Sherlap said:

So I tried what I think you were illustrating and bouncing the track was still coming out without the plugins on.  So then highlighting the track and the empty midi track and hitting "bounce in place" under "bounce and join" and it seems to bounce with the plugins on, but for some reason the track is now louder.  Perhaps because it converts it to stereo?  I think I'm at having to just drag the plug from the stacks into each of the tracks and bouncing them that way.  Appreciate your help. 

Works fine here? Here's an example complete with null test:

TrackStackBIPEffects2.thumb.gif.f633e7e1f5fda7636798c7212fde3b58.gif

J.