‘Combining’ 3 Vocal tracks into one final vocal track.

Robeen
Go to solution Solved by sunbrother,

Hi,

I’m using Logic Pro X 10.8.1.

Because I am uncertain about how to navigate in Track Stacks, I have [re] recorded different vocal parts of the song on different tracks.

The tracks all have volume automation to zero out the vocal on one or more tracks and raise it on another.

Everything sounds good to me now and I want one composite track that includes all three of my vocal tracks.

I have used Join for this kind of thing in the past but with all the volume automation, I don’t know if that is a good option. Would it be better to Bounce … or Bounce Regions in Place ….

I’ve got all the volume levels exactly like I need them and I need all the vocals on one track with no Normalize or volume changes from what I have now.

What is the best way to achieve this?

I added a screenshot to show the extent of the Volume Automation that I don’t want to accidentally lose.

Plus … with ‘Join’ the resulting track inherits the automation of the first track selected [?] ...

I understand I probably chose the least efficient way of doing what I’m trying to do? 

Thanks,

Robeen 

20240103_150544.jpg

Thanks, Loukash!

Those three tracks that are selected are for the same Lead Vocal.

I might, as I have in the past, use a Take Folder next time.

This time, my question is how do I stick with what I have and turn that into one vocal track?

I don’t want to start from scratch on the vocals… unless I absolutely HAVE to. 

• Solution

If you Bounce in Place multiple regions on multiple tracks it will effectively mix them down. You can include volume and pan automation and leave the originals before you do one final check and then remove them. Often I make a project alternative before and after so I can always get those tracks back if I messed it up. The resulting track might be stereo (a side effect of volume and pan automation and bounce in place) but that really doesn’t matter in this case and stripping one side of it and making it mono is rather trivial if you want to.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

If you Bounce in Place multiple regions on multiple tracks it will effectively mix them down. You can include volume and pan automation and leave the originals before you do one final check and then remove them. Often I make a project alternative before and after so I can always get those tracks back if I messed it up. The resulting track might be stereo (a side effect of volume and pan automation and bounce in place) but that really doesn’t matter in this case and stripping one side of it and making it mono is rather trivial if you want to.

Thanks, sunbrother! I was thinking of something like this, really. Once  read what loukash said, I realized that his suggestion might also work, so I’ll try both options. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Glad it helped. I basically use a combination of Track Alternatives, the Gain tool, a Noise Gate, and manually cutting and fading regions (what loukash suggested) to accomplish what you're doing with all that automation and the three tracks. This would be after recording in Take Folders, swiping until it's basically there, and using the commands for converting Take Folders to Track Alternatives (because you can just keep moving Take Folders onto a track and using that command until everything for the Lead Vocal is contained in a single track). I find it offers a similar level of convenience and detail but wastes less time with juggling multiple tracks.

Edited by sunbrother
  • Like 1