Drum Machine Designer Changes Samples - Override defaults?

zestyOrange

Hello all. I thought I'd get around to using Drum Machine Designer, rather than continue doing things the old school way, but it does some ghastly things to samples out of the box (I figure the programmer responsible for 'Record MIDI to Tack Here' must have had a hand in it!).

Anyway, it loads instances of Q-Sampler, so I tried loading up Q-Sampler, modifying the defaults and saving them as the new default, and then creating a new instance of DMD and hoping it applied it to those instances too, but noooo.  DMD just says 'f*%@ you, I'm going to continue filtering every sample you load in and adjusting its volume, because I know what you want better than you do'. 

Is there a workaround? Or do you guys not bother with it. 

Edited by zestyOrange
typos

18 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Your workflow is a little unclear....
How are you adding audio to DMD?
How do you add audio to QuickSampler - outside of DMD?

Apologies. I was instantiating a new instance of DMD either using the New Instrument dropdown (DMD is finally  listed there now, in Logic 10.8 - in previous versions I don't believe it was), or by dragging a sample from an external folder and hovering over the area below existing tracks, then chosing it from the pop-up.

In both cases I was then dragging samples onto the DMD slots which automatically creates a track, inside of the DMD stack, with QuickSampler on it, but this instance always has a filter engaged and a -8dB volume dip. 

Edited by zestyOrange
clarity

Hmmmm....
There seems to be some variability here and it's a bit unclear as to what differentiates behaviour.
Data in the sample file header looks to be the cause, at a guess.
If you don't mind, could you try the following - just want to see if you can replicate/notice differences in playback, etc?

Can you open DMD and choose an empty cell.
Click the plus button and from the kits in the Library (Electronic Drum Kit > Kit Pieces), then choose the Percussion category.
Scroll down to Chimes.....
Choose "Chimes Modern TR727"
Cool beans...no filter.
Now choose "Chimes Solaris"
Filter.
Open the Loop Browser and drag an Apple Loop directly into QuickSampler....and drop it on the Original pane....then click the Details tab.
Repeat on the Optimized pane....then click the Details tab.
Trigger the loop in both cases...and compare with playback in the Loop Browser.
Now drag the same loop onto the cell.
Again, compare by trigger/playback in the Loop Browser.
Click the Pad Controls button in DMD and you'll note that the "Chimes" label remains.

DMD seems to have a few "quirks"...so if you're interested - maybe you and I (and anyone else interested) can try a few experiments to figure out how sample handling works with different material/different methods of getting data in.
This way, we'll know what to do/what not to do....or which files, etc.

Edited by oscwilde
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, oscwilde said:

DMD seems to have a few "quirks"...so if you're interested - maybe you and I (and anyone else interested) can try a few experiments to figure out how sample handling works with different material/different methods of getting data in.
This way, we'll know what to do/what not to do....or which files, etc.

I was going to say yes, but after playing around with DMD a bit more I don't think it's worth it!
I was previewing sounds and it kept replacing either my entire kit or the pads. So I then made sure to select a specific pad, previewed another sound and it filled that pad then moved on to  the next, overwriting it. It seems to easy to lose sounds it's crazy.