Silence at the start of bounce

Gum

Hey guys!

Somehow I get 22 ms of silence at the start of the sound files each time I bounce. I think this started after updating to 10.8.1. Anyone else that have experienced something similar? 

I usually bounce using the cycle range, then 22 ms is added. If I disable the cycle range and bounce a single region at the start of the project 66 ms is added. It is consistent over different projects except for newly started ones.

Bouncing in realtime, with tail or 2nd cycle pass doesn't seem to matter either. 

Skarmavbild2024-01-02kl_16_51_13.thumb.png.56b565d2bc1cedbf2e700f5d9243daa3.png

Removing/adding all the plugins I usually use to both old and new projects doesn't seem to make any difference. 

Any idéas?

15 hours ago, Gum said:

It's at
1 1 1 1

Ok, that’s good. Too bad that wasn’t it (you may have heard moving the project start marker can cause unexpected behaviours).

Since say it happens with some projects but not with new ones, then there’s something in those older projects that’s creating the issue. That could either be incompatibility-related, some kind of project corruption, or some project setting that differs, but I can’t think of any project setting that would cause such a behaviour.

Just in case, can you share a screenshot of your bounce window settings?

J.

4 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Ok, that’s good. Too bad that wasn’t it (you may have heard moving the project start marker can cause unexpected behaviours).

Since say it happens with some projects but not with new ones, then there’s something in those older projects that’s creating the issue. That could either be incompatibility-related, some kind of project corruption, or some project setting that differs, but I can’t think of any project setting that would cause such a behaviour.

Just in case, can you share a screenshot of your bounce window settings?

J.

Yeah, I've heard of it but didn't think of it this time, good suggestion! 

Usually looks like this, sometimes without Audio Tail and sometimes 2nd Cycle Pass. They all add some silence at the start.

The workaround is to bounce, and then open the sound files up in a fresh project, remove the silence and bounce again. But it's kind of a pain since I'm working with sound design, and sometimes I need to do that a couple of hundred times a day...

Bounce.thumb.png.0580a0164c0bc74139835c5f9b29a1d5.png

54 minutes ago, Gum said:

The workaround is to bounce, and then open the sound files up in a fresh project, remove the silence and bounce again. But it's kind of a pain since I'm working with sound design, and sometimes I need to do that a couple of hundred times a day...

If you have Izotope RX you could batch automate this perhaps, that's what I would try.

My OCD requires me to say that dithering has been turned off in your screenshot. Is that because it's your second pass on an already 16 bit dithered file?

1 hour ago, Holger Lagerfeldt said:

If you have Izotope RX you could batch automate this perhaps, that's what I would try.

My OCD requires me to say that dithering has been turned off in your screenshot. Is that

because it's your second pass on an already 16 bit dithered file?

Reaper speeds up things a bit as well, no trimming files in batch but at least the file names are automated. Thanks for the tip!

Well look at that, Dithering is off, that was not on purpose, thanks for pointing it out. It's not really the first thing you notice when bouncing, but yes, it should always be on when exporting to 16-bit. 

I actually found the culprit. It's Logics built in Adaptive Limiter (same result with the other limiter as well).

It feels kinda silly. Whatever I set the lookahead to that amount of silence is added to the beginning of the bounced file. 

• Like 1