Beat Mapping steps

Desha

Hi all. Coming back to Logic Pro X after a few years off. I don't remember the beat mapping ever giving me this trouble so I've either forgotten something or there's something new I'm not aware of.

I have a project that already has midi instrumentation done to a static tempo.  I want it to play back rubato, so I recorded the melody without a click on a new piano track and beat mapped to that.  On playback, the metronome plays fine with that track is soloed - syncs up fine.  As soon as I unmute everything else, they all play back at the old static tempo. 

I've already looked at videos and read threads and tried a bunch of settings but something about it is always goofed up (won't let me map it properly, won't play back properly, etc), so if someone could explain the steps like I'm a kindergartner, that would be great and save me a trip to the shrink, cuz I'm about to lose my mind with fruitless trial and error. 

Could some kind soul please tell me what EXACT settings to select and in what ORDER to do all the steps so that I get the desired result?

I've never used that, but if it's easier than beat mapping I'll give it a go.  I've done beat mapping before so I thought it was going to be a simple way to go

Edited by Desha

Since trying Groove Track involves less than a couple of minutes of non-destructive few clicks here and there, I strongly suggest trying same first than going through the way more time consuming and demanding and tedious edition work that beat mapping requires… Really!

8 hours ago, airforceguitar said:

Does the newer “Adapt Tempo” features work on MIDI regions or just audio. (Away from my Mac and can’t check) 🤔

Yes it does work on MIDI regions.

For example you can set your Smart Tempo mode to Adapt and record MIDI and the tempo curve automatically adapts to your performance. 

• Like 1