Drum Kit Designer crash cymbals muted by V-Drums hi-hat

GDDrums
Go to solution Solved by realtwang,

@JakobP @Jordi Torres Hello, gents.  I'd absolutely love to get your expert opinion again. So, here's the latest...

When recording or even playing along with my V-drums in Logic Pro X, my hi-hat (striking it in any way) is turning off the use of my crash cymbals. Then when I play the session again without touching my drums, the use of the crash cymbals return, but as soon as I touch my hi-hat, they disappear again. If it's a midi/controller assignment situation, I'm really not sure how to find it as I've been trying most of the night and coming up short.  I could definitely use your help.  Thank you.

Hi @GDDrums,

1 hour ago, GDDrums said:

When recording or even playing along with my V-drums in Logic Pro X, my hi-hat (striking it in any way) is turning off the use of my crash cymbals. Then when I play the session again without touching my drums, the use of the crash cymbals return, but as soon as I touch my hi-hat, they disappear again.

That sounds like your hi-hat is sending MIDI messages that causing this behavior. Is it happening with a specific software instrument? Dum Kit Designer? Or is it happening with your V-Drums own module?

In any case, you should do a test and record the hi-hat and look at the contents of the recorded region in the Event List editor to see what messages the hi-hat is sending. It could be some due to Polyphonic Aftertouch messages...but that wouldn't affect every and any software instrument, so it would be good that you answered the previous questions.

J.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GDDrums said:

When recording or even playing along with my V-drums in Logic Pro X, my hi-hat (striking it in any way) is turning off the use of my crash cymbals.

This is likely just an "anecdotal evidence", but when the drummer from one of my bands was using V-Drums for our recording sessions, we had random but constant soft "ghost hits" coming from the ride cymbal. Since his V-Drums are partially broken anyway, we've assumed there's nothing we can do about it. And from what I recall, there were some problems with the hi-hat as well. So I ended up cleaning the MIDI track manually after recording (aaand fixing his mistakes at the same time, hehe…)

So I would definitely double check if the V-Drums is operating correctly in the first place.

• Like 1

@Jordi Torres @loukash Thank you both.  @loukash, I definitely know what you're referring to because when recording midi, I see all the clean ups that need tending to.  I appreciate the heads up and thank you for your prompt reply. @Jordi Torres I'm recording directly into Logic using a usb from the Vdrums to the computer and selecting a standard Logic kit (not a Logic producer kit). I can tell that it's most likely an assignment issue as the hat may be acting as a trigger and unassigning my crash cymbals.  I will take a look at the Event List editor although I don't believe I've ever tapped into that as I am pretty new and green with Logic.  If I'm unable to figure it out and you offer virtual online help, I'm happy to set something up.  Thank you and will let you know if I find anything.

Hi @GDDrums,

Thanks for the screenshot and for clarifying that you're experiencing this behavior with Logic's Drum Kit Designer (DKD) instrument.

I believe I've found what's causing this unwanted behavior:

Your region contains note, poly aftertouch and CC4 (Foot Control) events. I just tested, and for some reason, CC4 Foot Control is muting the crash cymbals when using the "V-Drum" Input Mapping in DKD.

Screenshot2024-02-18at10_22_39.thumb.png.9b531ab59d4d8967cbe26ed34f919841.png

It's probably a bug. I'll have to check whether this behaviour is present in other versions of Logic...

J.

• Like 1

So, I tested this on the oldest version of Logic I have (Logic Pro 10.4.8) and the behavior is the same.

I'm not so sure this is a bug after all as the behavior seems very specific: CC4 events with values lower than 109 trigger this behavior. I don't have V-Drums so can't say whether this expected or not.

J.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

So, I tested this on the oldest version of Logic I have (Logic Pro 10.4.8) and the behavior is the same.

I'm not so sure this is a bug after all as the behavior seems very specific: CC4 events with values lower than 109 trigger this behavior. I don't have V-Drums so can't say whether this expected or not.

I vaguely remember (after 2 years) having experienced similar issues in my aforementioned example. That was with Logic 10.3.3 on El Capitan. 

10 hours ago, realtwang said:

try the Scripter MIDI plugin

As we're also planning new recording sessions with V-Drums later this year, thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GDDrums said:

@Jordi Torres @realtwang Well, you both are incredible for checking this out and figuring it out.  I'm not exactly sure how to navigate standard mapping and the Scripter MIDI plugin with the VDrum map selected, but I will look into and give it a shot.  If either of you do Zoom sessions on this or can send any visuals, that would be great.  Appreciate your time, expertise and kindness!

Simply load the Scripter MIDI FX in the MIDI FX slot above the instrument slot, then load the "Drum Kit Designer V-Drum Compatibility" preset:

Screenshot2024-02-20at07_18_09.png.6cda14dac9044cec0921a835a47413b6.png

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
Typo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

Simply load the Scripter MIDI FX in the MIDI FX slot above the instrument slot, then load the "Drum Kit Designer V-Drum Compatibility":

Screenshot2024-02-20at07_18_09.png.6cda14dac9044cec0921a835a47413b6.png

J.

Yes, thanks Jordi for positing that.  Then, of course you would leave Drum Kit Designer itself in standard (stock) mapping.  Hope that helps.  I just discovered the power of this MIDI plug myself.  Here's a link to a great walkthrough of it, which includes our example.  There's a lot of power in that little thing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, realtwang said:

I just discovered the power of this MIDI plug myself.  Here's a link to a great walkthrough of it, which includes our example.  There's a lot of power in that little thing.

Indeed! We have a forum entirely dedicated to Scripter with many examples of scripts: 

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/forum/17-midi-fx-plug-in-scripts/

• Like 1