Drum Comp Editing Problems

Neil Teago
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Hi there.

I've recorded some multi track drums in Logic Pro X. There are several takes. The takes are the same across each track, as they were recorded all at once.

I have grouped the drums for editing. When I swipe to hear the alternative takes they don't all change congruously. Some change together as I'd expect, some stay the same on my (kick and room channels). 

I've done the following

• Created a group.
  • Enabled editing.
  • Quantize lock.
  • Checked that groups are active in the mix dropdown.
  • Trimmed the tracks to the same length at the beginning and end.

I'm stumped. I'd like to go through the takes and find the best bits of each but can't currently do this. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

I have ensured the box is checked. Some of the takes will allow me to select different takes and will change together. 2 of the tracks (part of the group), when I select different takes do not. 

• Like 1

Please try going to the front and end of the tracks and trim them *ALL AT THE SAME TIME*.

So take the marquee tool and trim all the beginning and end of the tracks so that they all start/end exactly with the same cut.

Does it work now?

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

First off, let me just say that was an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately it's not done the trick. 

Just for more info - (with all the tracks at identical length and all the group features appropriately selected) channels Snare, Rack Tom, Floor Tom, Overheads and Room 2 all takes edit together. With the Kick and Room 1, they take edit together...

Ok so unfortunately I was able to reproduce the issue you're describing. 

Were the tracks all grouped before you recorded audio on them or did you group them later? Did you group them all at the same time? It should have worked either way, just trying to understand what could have gone wrong. 

I've tried to recut your take folders, and I even try to move them to a new set of grouped tracks and nothing fixes it so it looks like there may be some corruption going on.

Now there's one workaround that should fix it but it's long and cumbersome, it would be to recreate new grouped tracks and use busses to route the output of each existing track to one of the new tracks and re-record all the multi-tracks one take at a time. 

Sorry I don't have anything better to offer.  😞

I could reproduce too - I don't have time to investigate too much but there is/was some funkiness with the comps before the takes were created. @David Nahmani I'm pretty sure afterwards, or a single track was armed and something was recorded before the others were. See attached pics.

I would just ungroup all the channels, unpack each take to new tracks, trim down a bit, create new take folders and then regroup and see if it's still an issue, probably quicker to just get on with that vs keep scratching your head!

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 15.08.37.png

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 15.09.49.png

Edited by TeddyRuxpin
  • Like 1

• Solution
David Nahmani
This post was recognized by David Nahmani!

"Awesome work. Thanks polanoid! :)"

polanoid was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 25 points.

Click on the Takes & Comps menu widget (the one displaying "A" in your example project) of each Take Folder, check if it contains more than one comp and if so, choose "Delete All Other Comps".

That should fix it (it sure does here).

Seems like Logic

a) does not like to edit-group Take Folders containing different numbers of comps.

b) does not apply the "Delete All Other Comps" to other selected Take Folders containing a different number of comps

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1