Sonarworks Sound Reference ID Freezing Projective Alternatives

BobbyT
Go to solution Solved by BobbyT,

Hello. I am using Sonarworks Sound Reference ID 5.9.2 with Logic 10.8 and a M2 Mac Studio. When I switch Project Alternatives and Logic shuffles through plug ins, it freezes on Sound Reference ID every time. Application Not Responding appears and I have to close and re-open the session. Anybody experiencing the same issue and know of a solution? At the suggestion of Sonarworks's customer support, I have trashed various files, etc. to no avail.

Appreciate any suggestions. 

Thank you.

Edited by BobbyT

On 3/4/2024 at 3:22 PM, BobbyT said:

Hello. I am using Sonarworks Sound Reference ID 5.9.2 with Logic 10.8 and a M2 Mac Studio. When I switch Project Alternatives and Logic shuffles through plug ins, it freezes on Sound Reference ID every time. Application Not Responding appears and I have to close and re-open the session. Anybody experiencing the same issue and know of a solution? At the suggestion of Sonarworks's customer support, I have trashed various files, etc. to no avail.

Appreciate any suggestions. 

Thank you.

18 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Can you run Sonarworks on the Mac Outputs (standalone)....and NOT as a plug-in?
i.e. either delete the AU from Library/Audio/Components or disable it in Logic.

Thanks for the reply. I can run it stand alone but I usually just use it as a plug-in. I'd like to troubleshoot it as a plug in first and use it stand alone if there is no work around. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyT said:

I'd like to troubleshoot it as a plug in first and use it stand alone if there is no work around.

I had similar problems a while back, so just changed my workflow (i.e. used standalone) as the plug-in was flaky/unstable. Sounds like it still is.
I think this one's gonna be down to a fix/update from Sonarworks.

One thing I haven't tried (as the AU is no longer on the system) is to switch to Rosetta mode and re-scan the plug-in (then switch back to Native)....nor tried actually running Logic in Rosetta/using the plug.
Perhaps give these a try?

• 4 weeks later...

I just switched from Logic 10.6 to a new MacBook Pro with Sonoma and 10.8.1 and I’m having this problem too. Did you manage to fix it?

Fortunately I also bought the new Arc Studio hardware unit and as soon as I calibrate the room with it, I’ll be able to get rid of the SoundID correction plugin. 

• Solution
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, stormy said:

I just switched from Logic 10.6 to a new MacBook Pro with Sonoma and 10.8.1 and I’m having this problem too. Did you manage to fix it?

Fortunately I also bought the new Arc Studio hardware unit and as soon as I calibrate the room with it, I’ll be able to get rid of the SoundID correction plugin. 

Hi. After lots of back and forth with Sonarworks, this option worked. I haven't built up a lot of action on a new session yet, but so far it has worked.

1. Close Logic Pro

2. Using macOS Finder go to “~/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache/” (without the quotes)

3. Manually delete the com.apple.audiounits.cache file (to force a complete new plug-ins scan)

4. Re-open Logic Pro

5. Reboot the computer

My two cents, after working in a not-so-perfect room with Sound Reference ID as a plug in, critical listening was better but not nearly as effective as using headphones without  calibration. I have room treatment, etc but once I put headphones on I could much more clearly hear phase issues and small details. 

Edited by BobbyT
  • Like 2

Thanks @BobbyT! I will check and report back, I hope it will work for me too. I have a well treated studio and Sonarworks really did provide the final 5%. I've been a big fan but the latest releases have been too buggy, that's why I'm jumping ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Unfortunately the fix didn't work for me. I've gone back to Reference 4 instead of SoundID so I can avoid this problem.

Sorry to hear that. Open a support ticket with Sonarworks, they have other troubleshooting options.  This was just the one that worked for me.