Poll: What are you using Logic for?

Zipfunk

How do you use Logic Pro?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use Logic Pro? Click all that apply.

• Personal use
    • Producing music (pop, rock, country, rap, EDM, etc)
    • Producing Soundtracks for TV, movies, commercials, etc.
    • Producing backing tracks for live performance
    • Mixing
    • Mastering
    • Scoring sheet music
    • Overdubbing
    • Creating educational material
    • Arranging and editing
    • Sound design
    • Songwriting

In answering some questions (recently with the Suno AI topic) I was wondering how most forum users here use Logic so David allowed me to make a poll.

I hope it works. 

I've kept the choices fairly standard to keep it simple.

If I've not thought of an obvious use please let me know 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 9:06 PM, Zipfunk said:

We covered it with soundtracks did we not?

Using the Logic Score Editor deserves a category on its own - users like myself do not create Scores for Soundtracks but Instrumental Parts for  musicians to play live on gigs or in studios  -  from small band to big band to orchestral scores.

Another category is Overdubs - again users like myself do not 'produce' music as in mix master and send a finished product but .. a key use of Logic  is recording overdubs ( in my case chromatic harmonica)   to backing tracks  sending stems with no effects to clients for their  projects, albums, commercial sessions etc recorded.

Another use is Creating Educational Material  -  transcribing music so that the score plays in real time with the original track for a student to slow down and study. I have literally hundreds of projects available in all genres, classical,folk, mainly jazz & funk etc and am constantly making new ones for students.  Sometimes turning these into Quicktime movies using Screenflow  for those who do not have Logic on their computers.

Another use is the Assembling and editing of multitracks recorded in a studio I have made 4 several albums in this way - recording a band in the studio, bring stems into Logic for each track. Doing extensive editing of the  all the instrumental stems with no effects. Adding overdubs (keyboards,  percussion, vocals, a few instrumental corrections)  And then sending the entire project off to a mixing engineer. I have no use for or knowledge of  plugins or eqs or anything like that except as they relate to get a rough sound to work with the raw individual stems.

Edited by Music Spirit
  • Like 2

I don't like that low number on Scoring... that gets me scared that Apple may stop that feature... which, even though I don't do real score preparation in Logic I still very much need the sheet music feature...

• Like 1

I don't read too much into this, and I guess Apple doesn't either. Yes, only two people clicked on Scoring Sheet Music. But what if these two are churning out scores for all the Hollywood blockbusters....

So we don't know.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is possible to create wonderful scores in Logic, but compared to other (specialized) notation software, the effort is too high. That's why I switched. I'm much faster now, especially with non-pop music scores.

Edited by logicben

1 hour ago, logicben said:

It is possible to create wonderful scores in Logic, but compared to other (specialized) notation software, the effort is too high. That's why I switched. I'm much faster now, especially with non-pop music scores.

I believe this question would deserve a dedicated topic…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes unfortunately, I've noticed that here as well, and there's no way around it other than to restart the entire poll. 😞 

Unless I log in as a new user… which could kind of balanceout for my missed selection but would mess the total voter value…

Oh well! C’est la vie!

I think this is a great project!

Just a minor point: The reporting looks a bit strange to me. Instead of showing the percentage of people having voted for a particular option, it shows the amount of the total votes that has been cast on that specific option. But since people have been allowed to vote for several options, this might not be the most intuitive way to report the numbers. 

For example, 53 out of 69 people (≈ 75% of all people) have voted for "Producing music ...", but it shows that as ≈ 23%, since only about 23% of the total amount of votes, (which has been 231 thus far), has been cast on that option.

If you end up restarting the poll, with the added options discussed above, is it possible to change the way that it reports the results as well?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr.Socrates said:

If you end up restarting the poll, with the added options discussed above, is it possible to change the way that it reports the results as well?

If that occurs, it might be worth making this as a sticky to entice new comers to participate… Perhaps reiterate the poll on a yearly basis could reveal the tendencies…

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr.Socrates said:

Just a minor point: The reporting looks a bit strange to me. Instead of showing the percentage of people having voted for a particular option, it shows the amount of the total votes that has been cast on that specific option. But since people have been allowed to vote for several options, this might not be the most intuitive way to report the numbers. 

For example, 53 out of 69 people (≈ 75% of all people) have voted for "Producing music ...", but it shows that as ≈ 23%, since only about 23% of the total amount of votes, (which has been 231 thus far), has been cast on that option.

Good point. Unfortunately it's currently not possible to tally the results by percentage of voters. I've made a suggestion to add that option. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:26 PM, logicben said:

I'd be curious about a  sub - poll on how  Logic Score Editor Users use the Score Editor. ...

There are experts on this topic who  no longer regularly post here though  I think they do lurk 😉 the most authoritative of which are 
@ski Peter Schwartz  ( who has produced an excellent Macprovideo series on the Score Editor) and @Jay Asher whose book 'Scoring with Logic Pro' is the definitive independent printed  guide to the Score Editor. 

And there are many regular users here ( like myself who use the Score Editor in quite specific ways adequate for the areas we work in).

And then there is the invaluable input of @volovicg who does not as I understand produce scores for a living... but has  profound problem- solving piercing insights into all aspects of the Score Editor in its current form.

Back in the day though - Ski and Jay were posting  advice and solving problemns from the standpoint of musicians who could score any pro session for any size group of instruments in Logic ... 

In the UK, Sibelius is still the gold standard on sessions and pro scoring .. I cant speak for elsewhere.

But the scarcity  of posts from anyone  writing  orchestral /film/ big band  scores using Logic suggests to me that either the Score Editor is functioning so perfectly and that they have such great workarounds that they rarely  need to ask a question - and/or - that they are too busy working to contribute more than the odd post here...

That said - it would still be wonderful if Apple showed some love to the Score Editor and kept improving it...

• Love 1