Poll: What are you using Logic for?

Zipfunk

How do you use Logic Pro?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use Logic Pro? Click all that apply.

• Personal use
    • Producing music (pop, rock, country, rap, EDM, etc)
    • Producing Soundtracks for TV, movies, commercials, etc.
    • Producing backing tracks for live performance
    • Mixing
    • Mastering
    • Scoring sheet music
    • Overdubbing
    • Creating educational material
    • Arranging and editing
    • Sound design
    • Songwriting

Hey @Music Spirit, I absolutely still use the Score Editor, both as a way to view MIDI parts and to produce scores. But no, I don't lurk the hallowed halls of LPH much these days. That aside, I see only upside for continued improvements to the Score Editor.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Music Spirit said:

But the scarcity  of posts from anyone  writing  orchestral /film/ big band  scores using Logic suggests to me that either the Score Editor is functioning so perfectly and that they have such great workarounds that they rarely  need to ask a question - and/or - that they are too busy working to contribute more than the odd post here...

… or they simply switched to another app for that specific purpose…😏

If you worked with orchestras you know that they accept Finale or Sibelius files. Finale mostly, it's the industry standard for music notation even though it still feels like and probably is an application from the 90ies.

For me, the notation in Logic is really only to quickly analyze music in notation form, because my brain works differently then, or if I call in a cello player for example and just have to record a couple of lines I will just print out or even show on screen, what we're doing...

Everything that's an orchestra recording we have orchestrator involved and they all work in Finale.

But as I said earlier: it would be a real shame if this functionality wasn't available anymore... 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wonshu said:

But as I said earlier: it would be a real shame if this functionality wasn't available anymore... 

That would be unacceptable for many users.

Logic provides an excellent way to automatically transcribe a recorded performance into very decent notation with relatively little effort. That is essential to many many musicians and composers.

I wonder how other DAW compares in that field…?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Logic provides an excellent way to automatically transcribe a recorded performance into very decent notation with relatively little effort. That is essential to many many musicians and composers.

I wonder how other DAW compares in that field…?

Finale is (was? I'm not a heavy user anymore since many years...) terrible in that field... but I understand Dorico is coming up and people very much like the speedy workflow...

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 9:05 AM, wonshu said:

For me, the notation in Logic is really only to quickly analyze music in notation form, because my brain works differently then, or if I call in a cello player for example and just have to record a couple of lines I will just print out or even show on screen, what we're doing...

This is very similar to the way I work. Sometimes editing in the Score Editor can be much easier than in the Piano Roll, for example. But even if I wanted to give a cello player notes to play in a production, I would quickly create a midi file and open it in Sibelius. Without having changed anything, just selecting the right instrument, the score immediately looks better.

Of course, in a Logic forum we live in a Logic bubble, but there are many composers and instrumentalists who have never heard of Logic. I don't know of any university that teaches Logic as notation software to its composition students. They know Finale, Sibelius and more and more, even if only to a small extent, Dorico. The rest of the notation software, including Logic (!), are isolated solutions.

Edited by logicben
  • Like 1

Well! I never knew I was reading Sumerian. Thanks for the heads up.
I must say - I absolutely use the score editor most as part of my creative workflow process in Logic. That and the Event Editor. 
I need to see and read the music I am imagining and hearing. 
If Logic ever deprecates the Score Editor I'll have to give up on Sumerian and find a new language for my ears.

• Like 2