Logic Gets Stuck Opening Projects during Plugin Loading

TimeForMusic

Hi all, I'm having a recurring issue on my system where projects will freeze during loading on specific plugins. My attached photo shows this now happening with the stock Channel EQ. This occurs spontaneously, and the usual fix for me is opening a blank project, loading that plugin into a track in that blank project, and then going back and reopening the initial project. However, this is a time-consuming workaround.

Most commonly, it'll get stuck loading Pro-Q 3. My hunch is that these are (EQ) plugins on lots of tracks in the project, which may be a hint to the issue. 

Can anyone give some insight into this? 

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 1.23.49 AM.png

Does the system info in your signature up to date?

Are those 3rd party plugin up to date?

Any of those plugin use the iLok system? In such a case, sometimes updating the iLok software resolves plugins issues.

Edited by Atlas007

13 hours ago, TimeForMusic said:

My attached photo shows this now happening with the stock Channel EQ.

It's happening *after* the Channel EQ, so it's stuck loading some third-party plugin, most likely. You'll need to identify the plugin in the usual way, or open the project with Core Audio disabled, remove the plugins you suspect might be causing it, and resave the project under a new name. If you can then load that new project without problems, you've identified the plugin/s causing problems, and can investigate that issue (eg, update/reinstall, get support from the developer etc).

20 minutes ago, des99 said:

It's happening *after* the Channel EQ, so it's stuck loading some third-party plugin, most likely. You'll need to identify the plugin in the usual way, or open the project with Core Audio disabled, remove the plugins you suspect might be causing it, and resave the project under a new name. If you can then load that new project without problems, you've identified the plugin/s causing problems, and can investigate that issue (eg, update/reinstall, get support from the developer etc).

How certain are we that it is a faulty plugin? Again, the issue is spontaneous, sometimes displays different plugins during the loading freeze, and is sometimes resolved by opening a blank project and creating a track with the plugin displayed during the freeze. It is hard to test, because sometimes I can load the project(s) just fine, so isolating a faulty plugin is tricky. I can only go off of what plugin is displayed upon the freeze during the load. 

How do we know the freeze is "after" Channel EQ is loaded? Doesn't Channel EQ being displayed indicate that the plugin is what is currently being loaded? 

Just now, Atlas007 said:

Thanx!

Did you consider Keyboard Maestro solution as suggested by @rAC

Yes, I use it, but imperfectly. Nothing beats the 10.5.1 built-in behavior. 

If you have more thoughts on the EPM change, would love to hear them on the other thread -- let's try to keep this one on topic as I try to find a good fix! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimeForMusic said:

How do we know the freeze is "after" Channel EQ is loaded? Doesn't Channel EQ being displayed indicate that the plugin is what is currently being loaded? 

Because Channel EQ is not a third-party plugin, it is part of Logic, and so will not crash Logic on load. What's happening is that has loaded, but something is crashing Logic before Logic comes back to update the progress display with the task it's trying to do.

It's only third-party plugins that crash Logic on load, or problems with the project itself (project corruption etc).

On 4/13/2024 at 4:33 PM, des99 said:

What's happening is that has loaded, but something is crashing Logic before Logic comes back to update the progress display with the task it's trying to do.

I don't think this is the case because, as I said, a workaround fix to this is opening an empty project and inserting the plugin that is displayed DURING the freeze.

For example, as mentioned, Logic will often freeze on Pro-Q 3 for me (i.e., that plugin is displayed upon the freeze during load). If I open an empty project, create an empty software instrument track, and insert a default stereo Pro-Q 3 instance to that track, then (re-)open the initial project, it will load fine. How would you explain this behavior? 

I don't know what is happening in your specific case. I'm saying though that just because the progress bar says "Channel EQ" and doesn't progress further, doesn't mean Logic is hanging on it's own code - that really doesn't happen in my experience. Leaving aside corrupt projects, it's 95% of the time third-party plugin problems.

There was an iLok issue a couple of years back that could be fixed in the way you describe for specific reasons (I won't go into this in detail here), but unless you're running old iLok code, that's probably not the case here.

In the case of Fabfilter, these have a reputation of being pretty solid, but the environment software is running in is a wild card - I see in your case, you're running a patched macOS on presumably an otherwise unsupported hardware machine (which is the point of patching it), so it's difficult to say what's going on. It could even be something hardware related like RAM issues. But if you feel that the FF plugin (or other ones) is unreliable on your system, you might want to connect with support, they might have some ideas.