Official "Did they fix this" in Logic 9 thread!

JT3_Jon

Here are some highlights from my long-standing wish list - I'd love to know if any of these have been addressed:

1. restore the ability to assign the "prelisten" output as needed in the Sample Editor. I was stunned when that changed in 8 - as of now you can't audition your work through the intended channel (and its plugins). Useless...

2. restore lateral movement between submenus; this broke in v8

3. "Close Project w/out saving" key command crashes Logic as of v8

4. speed up display when trying to change track icons - it takes several seconds as of now. Also, make them go horizontally instead of vertically so you don't have to scroll within the pop-up!

5. restore "close floating window" key command

6. fix pen tool when drawing in the piano roll; as of now It feels "sticky" and will not allow you to draw smoothly; it will often draw straight lines when you're trying to draw a curve, etc. This is crucial for editing expression and other performance data, especially for virtual instruments like strings, etc.

7. remember last folder level/Finder location when saving channel strip presets; as of now it always starts at the root level of the "Channel Strips" folder.

8. Piano Roll editor should always reflect selected region!!! Example: if you have a region selected that starts at bar 32 but your SPL is at bar 31 and there's a previous region at bar 26, the Piano Roll editor will show the contents of the region on bar 26 rather than the one selected.

9. add volume & plugin edits to Undo History

10. add assignable key commands to all Hyperdraw controllers - or at least #11 (Expression) - LOTS of people use that!

11. add "drop-down" folders to see contents within context of arrangement. In other words, the ability to have a folder drop down (just like automation lanes) so you can easily move tracks/regions into & out of folders while seeing the rest of your project. Those of us with large scoring templates tend to categorize things (strings, winds, brass, perc, etc.) and this would be a HUGE timesaver...

Thanks for your time. I look forward to checking out 9 but I'm in the middle of some projects & can't risk the bleeding edge right now ;-)

did they fix:

-Saving led on Mackie Control staying red after saving from the MC

-Is the old arrange window (open trash l8 key command) still working?

I've got that one on my autoload

- is the Pianoroll editor link still broken? ie : when you select multiples parts to edit in the arrange and then switch your screenset to get the pianoroll, are all theses parts appears on the pianoroll?

-is the 5.1 panning works the proper way? ie : when you pan a stereo track from front to back, the sound became mono to the center and back to stereo to the back (like this : ><)

-is the audio buffer tail issue still present when bouncing?

Edited by pieca

1. restore the ability to assign the "prelisten" output as needed in the Sample Editor.

That hasn't changed in L9.

Not sure what "lateral movement between submenus" is?

4. speed up display when trying to change track icons - it takes several seconds as of now. Also, make them go horizontally instead of vertically so you don't have to scroll within the pop-up!

In L8.0.2, the icons are displayed on a 10x15 grid - which version of Logic 8 are you using?

5. restore "close floating window" key command

Why? What does it offer that "Close Window" doesn't do?

6. fix pen tool when drawing in the piano roll; as of now It feels "sticky" and will not allow you to draw smoothly

Feels the same in L9

10. add assignable key commands to all Hyperdraw controllers - or at least #11 (Expression) - LOTS of people use that!

Yup, there's a key command for Expression in L9.

This is from the original LP9 thread:

I want to know one more thing.

Is the FX tails problem fixed?

This bug really annoys me. I have to play empty part for some seconds every time I bounce the mix. I really hope it's fixed.

Could anyone who already has L9 answer this question please?

Is this "audio/effects stuck in cache" problem fixed?

Thanks.

Is this related to the "qhost audio" issue splicktik mentioned earlier in this thread?

I think he means lateral movement between the tiny menus located in editing areas. You can't open one menu and move to another with a single click like you would do with Finder menus.

restore "close floating window" key command

Why? What does it offer that "Close Window" doesn't do?

Sometimes cmd-w doesn't close the frontmost floating window but the whole project.

I have questions too (not about bugs though, but usability):

In LP 8 when you create an empty region with pen tool you can't determine its lenght by holding down the mouse and dragging (it just grabs the region and moves it around). I think it would be useful if you could "draw" regions to desired length as that is the functionality you would expect from pen tool. In piano roll it works just like that when drawing MIDI notes.

I don't like the accessibility of channel strip insert/slot menus. When they're empty and you click them the menu pops up immediately which is ok. But when they're loaded you have to click and hold for a while to access the menu. If you hold for too long, you'll lose the menu and might even select something you didn't inted to. This is inconvenient and in a long run it wastes a lot of time since working with instruments, effects and sends is a huge part of the production. Do channel strip insert menus still work the same in LP 9?

Also i wish for a solution for organising and arranging plugin windows. Often i find myself in a situation where i have dozens of plugin windows opened at the same time and finding a certain window is a pain. I could hit v to hide them all and then double-click the plugin insert i want to edit but then they all pop right back up. I wish Apple would have developed a workaround to arrange plugin windows and find the one you want easily. Or at least a key command for closing all plugin windows.

I'd like to know if the markers text problem got fixed in Logic 9 ?

The problem is, if you have a lot of text in a Marker, and you forget to hold

the option key when double-clicking the marker to open the text editing

window, Logic8 would auto delete all of the text except the first line and if

the first line was a long line of text, Logic 8 would auto delete most of the line.

I'm not sure this is a bug, as this is the part of the way it was designed to work (however questionnable...).

Hereafter an exceirpt from the manual (Logic Studio 8 ) :

1489321655_Image1.png.e7702b171ee4798c2188d08066dfb340.png

Being able to move sideways to an adjacent menu in one of the editor windows, just like in the Finder (or any other app for that matter). As of v8 you have to let go of the mouse button then click again in another menu. Logic is the only app in the entire Mac world I know of that does this!

In L8.0.2, the icons are displayed on a 10x15 grid - which version of Logic 8 are you using?

I'm not sure why we're seeing differences here; I'm on 8.0.2 as well. When I click & hold on a track icon it takes several seconds for the icon window to pop up, and the icons display in a 10x35 window that fills my screen vertically, so I have to scroll to see them all. If the icons were displayed horizontally, it wouldn't be an issue. If the icons were cached on startup it wouldn't have to "think" when you actually go to use them. The Finder does this as of 10.5 in order to display folder contents, so I know it's possible...

Someone else mentioned a similar issue as related to channel strip & plugin menu display - they take several seconds to display as well. I would think caching these things when Logic boots would solve these issues...

did they fix this: cutting or inserting a range of bars inside an arrangement sometimes does not properly move (some of the) related track automation data, sometimes does not move it at all, sometimes moves it too far. this is one of the bugs in L8 that drives me nuts ...

god yes. this is one of this no-brainer bugs has always bugged me.

how about the ability to select more than one audio track in the arrange view/ inspector and move them up or down?

nope.

wow, well does anyone else care about this functionality? or is just me. i feel like i spend alot of time moving audio tracks one by one.

BB

Being able to move sideways to an adjacent menu in one of the editor windows, just like in the Finder (or any other app for that matter). As of v8 you have to let go of the mouse button then click again in another menu. Logic is the only app in the entire Mac world I know of that does this!

I see what you mean - it still does it.

But I've found a new feature that you will like, unfortunately only for the sample editor: You can now control-click the preview button and choose "Auto-select Channel Strip" to play through the correct channel strip - the one corresponding to the track that file is on.

I've found a new feature that you will like, unfortunately only for the sample editor: You can now control-click the preview button and choose "Auto-select Channel Strip" to play through the correct channel strip - the one corresponding to the track that file is on.

AWESOME! I know a lot of people that were dumbfounded by the removal of that choice in v8.

You know, going through my long list of bugs/feature requests from v8, I can happily check off the majority of them... they are definitely paying attention!

Thanks for the info...

Edited by whinecellarstudio

Were any of these fixed in L9?

1. Selecting a Track does NOT de-select currently selected Regions: If you have regions selected in the Arrange, and you then click on a Track header, the regions should deselect. ANY selection of anything should automatically deselect regions (I continually delete regions by accident because of this odd behavior.

2. Playhead Zoom

A. Highly erratic and difficult to control when doing quick zooming (even if you try to hold your hand steady (so as not to move left or right), the playhead wiggles left and right, forcing you to moving all over the timeline of your project). The default behavior should be that when you hit option and drag vertically on the playhead, the playhead stays locked on that position (or at least it stays locked if you're holding down an additional modifier).

B. Accessibility: You should be able to pull up Playhead Zoom from ANY place your mouse is on the Arrange (as long as you hit the proper modifier): Currently, you most go to certain portions of the Ruler in order to access Playhead zoom functions.

3. Playhead Accessibility: Logic requires that you mouse all the way to the top of your ruler (in _just_ the right place so as not to accidently activate the Locaters) to pull up the Playhead at a particular place on your Arrange. The default should be that you can put the Playhead instantly at ANY point on your Arrange by hitting a modifier key and then clicking.

4. No Way to Throw Regions: You should be able to hold a modifier and "throw" any audio (or midi) region to the left or right so it's perfectly adjacent to another region. Fiddling with the various settings in the "Drag" pulldown menu is a pain.

5. Copying Automation between Tracks/Paste at Original Position: There is no way to copy track automation from 1 track to another such that position of the automation is retained (i.e., the Paste at Original Position function does not work, regardless of the Snap setting in the Arrange).

6. Automation Selection Bug: The Automation Select Tool (as described on p.589 of the manual) does not allow you to rubber band select specific nodes of automation between points X and Y like it should -- it forces you to select EVERY node connected to few nodes you DO select. Ex: If you rubber band select across the TOP half of, say, a repeating up/down pattern of automation nodes (so that you can adjust the height of ONLY the TOP nodes while leaving the bottom half untouched), it won't work: the rubber band selection instead selects EVERY node between point X and Y (instead of the just the peak values you're trying to adjust). This forces you to MANUALLY deselect every node that you didn't want.

7. Can't Reassign Orphaned MIDI regions: Logic 8.0.2 regularly causes midi aliases to be orphaned when you attempt to reassign midi aliases to a new midi parent. When this happens, Logic will then NOT let you reassign those orphaned midi aliases to a new midi region. This seems to occur on larger projects (where perhaps Logic's internal memory limit gets pushed).

Thanks!

1. Selecting a Track does NOT de-select currently selected Regions: If you have regions selected in the Arrange, and you then click on a Track header, the regions should deselect. ANY selection of anything should automatically deselect regions (I continually delete regions by accident because of this odd behavior.

Not the expected behavior: in Logic (8 or 9), selecting a track will select all the regions on that track - just like clicking a key in the Piano Roll will select all the notes on that pitch. It works as expected in both 8 and 9.

STOP THE PRESSES!

(just for a second :lol: )

Below is a list of over 20 inquiries from this thread which, AFAICT, haven't been answered yet. I'd like to request that some of our esteemed LPH members try to answer some of them before this list becomes longer and longer and longer...

Apologies if I've missed anyone's question, if some are redundant, or if they've been answered.

1. Is MIDI Chase fixed?

2. The graphical bug where the matrix/score editors would not always display the selected region? (this had to do with the link function if I'm not mistaken...)

3. Custom I/O labels not showing up in I/O Plugin.

4. The bug where "New with next midi channel" places instrument on top of first audio track in mixer environment and it cannot be moved!

5. dotted-quarter note click available in metronome for working in 6/8, etc?

6. At a high enough zoom setting in No Overlap drag mode, dragging an audio region to the right so it barely touches another region (and therefore, should shorten) completely deletes said region.

7. IS UNDO FIXED?

8. do flattened comps retain track names?

9. What about Tap Tempo (dodgy at the best of times)?

10. Using an external/hardware midi isntrument in Logic 8 in cycle record mode: In L8 the note right before the cycle always hangs and Logic never sends the note off message to the hardware synth you are using.

11. I'd like to know if the markers text problem got fixed in Logic 9 ?

The problem is, if you have a lot of text in a Marker, and you forget to hold

the option key when double-clicking the marker to open the text editing

window, Logic8 would auto delete all of the text except the first line and if

the first line was a long line of text, Logic 8 would auto delete most of the line.

12. "Close Project w/out saving" key command crashes Logic as of v8

13. speed up display when trying to change track icons - it takes several seconds as of now. Also, make them go horizontally instead of vertically so you don't have to scroll within the pop-up!

14. restore "close floating window" key command

15. fix pen tool when drawing in the piano roll; as of now It feels "sticky" and will not allow you to draw smoothly; it will often draw straight lines when you're trying to draw a curve, etc. This is crucial for editing expression and other performance data, especially for virtual instruments like strings, etc.

16. remember last folder level/Finder location when saving channel strip presets; as of now it always starts at the root level of the "Channel Strips" folder.

17. Piano Roll editor should always reflect selected region!!! Example: if you have a region selected that starts at bar 32 but your SPL is at bar 31 and there's a previous region at bar 26, the Piano Roll editor will show the contents of the region on bar 26 rather than the one selected.

18. add volume & plugin edits to Undo History

19. add "drop-down" folders to see contents within context of arrangement. In other words, the ability to have a folder drop down (just like automation lanes) so you can easily move tracks/regions into & out of folders while seeing the rest of your project. Those of us with large scoring templates tend to categorize things (strings, winds, brass, perc, etc.) and this would be a HUGE timesaver...

20. is the old arrange window (open trash l8 key command) still working?

I've got that one on my autoload

21. is the Pianoroll editor link still broken? ie : when you select multiples parts to edit in the arrange and then switch your screenset to get the pianoroll, are all theses parts appears on the pianoroll? (redundant from #2 above?)

22. is the 5.1 panning works the proper way? ie : when you pan a stereo track from front to back, the sound became mono to the center and back to stereo to the back (like this : ><)

23. notehead display for regions?

24. graphics glitches

25. sustain ped entered from score editor assumes a value of 64 in L8. Is this fixed in L9 (should have a value of 127)

Edited by ski

No, the behavior you're referring to below works correctly and is set in Preferences ("Select Regions on Track Selection"). I have this turned off.

I'm talking about DE-selecting already-selected regions in the Arrange, which should happen as soon as I click on any track header (or if I click on ANYTHING, for that matter).

Currently, already-selected regions do not get unselected (and therefore, will frequently get deleted accidently if, for example, I select an unneeded track to delete it). Clicking anything in the Arrange (including tracks) should deselect already selected regions.

Not the expected behavior: in Logic (8 or 9), selecting a track will select all the regions on that track - just like clicking a key in the Piano Roll will select all the notes on that pitch. It works as expected in both 8 and 9.

No, the behavior you're referring to below works correctly and is set in Preferences ("Select Regions on Track Selection"). I have this turned off.

I'm talking about DE-selecting already-selected regions in the Arrange, which should happen as soon as I click on any track header (or if I click on ANYTHING, for that matter).

Currently, already-selected regions do not get unselected (and therefore, will frequently get deleted accidently if, for example, I select an unneeded track to delete it). Clicking anything in the Arrange (including tracks) should deselect already selected regions.

OK, so if you have that preference enabled, the behavior is exactly the opposite, meaning no region becomes deselected. That's the expected behavior, and a feature, in fact TONS of people have been requesting that feature in the more distant past when it didn't exist - because they became annoyed at the fact that selecting a track would change their region selection.

Definitely not a bug.

and the ability to double click a midi region and have it open in the midi editor window rather then in the half pane midi editor...

This works in logic 8.02 but it is a bit of a workaround. What you do is double click it and it will open the half pane editor, then double click it it again (with the little window pane already open) and it will open it in a new (fullsize) window. a little annoying I know, but really helped me out when I discovered this one.

and the ability to double click a midi region and have it open in the midi editor window rather then in the half pane midi editor...

This works in logic 8.02 but it is a bit of a workaround. What you do is double click it and it will open the half pane editor, then double click it it again (with the little window pane already open) and it will open it in a new (fullsize) window. a little annoying I know, but really helped me out when I discovered this one.

If you hold down the option key while double clicking slowly on a region it will open the piano roll editor in a separate window. This works in Logic 8.0.2 and 9.

25. sustain ped entered from score editor assumes a value of 64 in L8. Is this fixed in L9 (should have a value of 127)

But I think the value of 64 conforms to the MIDI specs.

0 (to 63) is OFF; 64 (to 127) is ON.

Thanks for your reply, Fred, as always. Indeed the MIDI spec states:

less than or equal to 63 (off)

equal to or greater than 64 (on)

So on paper you're correct. But I think you'd agree that creating an "on" value of 64 is highly non-standard even though it might be technically "correct".

I'll venture a guess that the MIDI implementation within plugins, outboard synths, etc, provide for values of CC#64 (and perhaps other so-called 'switch controllers') to be simply >0 to represent an "on state". In fact, I just did a test with good ol' EXS-24 and sure enough, value of CC#64=1 enables the damper function.

It's bothersome, because the output of pretty much any keyboard controller transmitting a sustain pedal "on" message will be CC#64 = 127. When viewing sustain pedal markings in hyperdraw which reflect a combination of played-in sus pedal and manually-entered Ped., the display looks strange. On is on, off is off. It's only with half-damper pedals that I'd ever expect to see any value other than 127.

Well, it's not a sword to fall on. I just wish they would "fix" it (quotes used to indicate that I use that term loosely for your benefit. ;) )

Thanks chris that is a nice one to know...

About the ghost audio at the begining: I fixed this problem by starting all projects with a quick fade in for master volume (must be done in the output track an d not MASTER). This ficed it for me, but it is a little bit of hassle...

restore "close floating window" key command: Command+W to close any active window should works for me, BUT, you have to make sure that the window you want to close is also the one where the focus is.

OK, so if you have that preference enabled, the behavior is exactly the opposite, meaning no region becomes deselected. That's the expected behavior, and a feature, in fact TONS of people have been requesting that feature in the more distant past when it didn't exist - because they became annoyed at the fact that selecting a track would change their region selection.

Definitely not a bug.

Yep. Always bugged me.

Forgot that it works as I would expect now. I WANT every region in a track selected (not toggled) when I select the track over the region. Region = ALL.

It would, I suppose, be nice to be able to set it to "toggle selection," though I wouldn't set it to that personally.

- zevo