Official "Did they fix this" in Logic 9 thread!

JT3_Jon

Here's my first draft of things that have been fixed/added in v9. This is a work in progress and I will update it later (I'm only on my 2nd day with 9 so far). Note that I'm generally focusing on the less obvious stuff here - all the "big" new features & additions are easy enough to find. First, the good news - shows they ARE listening!

- WINDOW FOCUS/SCROLLING ISSUES - FIXED!

In previous versions, when using a scrolling mouse or trackball, you could place the cursor over ANY window (regardless of "focus") and scroll the contents of that window. Logic 8 made you click in a window to put it in focus first. We're back in business here. Also, the new white border is nice on the focus window, but a user-definable color would be nice for this...

- RESTORE FLOATING 'EXTENDED SEQUENCE PARAMETERS' BOX - DONE!

It was so nice to have that floating palette available in close proximity to where you're working, especially on large/multiple displays

- "CAPTURE LAST TAKE AS RECORDING" ISSUE - FIXED!

When you "capture last take" the SPL always reverted to just before the region captured, as opposed to the last play position. It is be preferable for the SPL to return to the last play position instead. Done!

- RESTORE SAMPLE EDITOR 'PRELISTEN' TO USER-DEFINABLE CHANNEL - FIXED!

You can now Control-click on the prelisten icon to choose between the destination track (through its plugins) or the "Prelisten" channel (dry, no effects). This is an even better option than version 7 and earlier!

- "CLOSE PROJECT WITHOUT SAVING" KEY COMMAND CRASHED LOGIC 8 - FIXED!

This was a nice safety feature - once a song is saved as it should be, we didn't want to accidentally overwrite it. Live performers particularly appreciate this when having to open/close songs quickly and not have to bother with the save dialog.

- ADD CHANNEL STRIP / PLUGIN CHANGES TO 'UNDO' HISTORY - DONE!

- ADD KEY COMMANDS FOR ALL HYPER DRAW CONTROLLERS - DONE!

Many people use Hyper Draw to edit controller data for virtual instruments - now it's much easier/faster to switch between controller types without having to mouse through menus.

- ADD ARRANGE "HIDE GROUPS" - DONE!

I still fantasize about the idea of "drop-down folders" though; it would be awesome to be able to see a folder's contents in the context of your arrangement - not to mention the ability to grab regions and easily move them into/out of folders. Scoring guys often organize [hundreds!] of tracks into folders, and this would be a HUGE productivity boost...

...and now the not-so-good news:

- NEW v9 BUG: you can no longer move plugins with the hand tool (via the CMD key) in Arrange/Inspector channel strips. You can now do that only in the Mixer window - this is a major step backwards.

- EXISTING v8 BUG: Unlike every other Mac app in existence, we still can't move laterally between local menus while holding the mouse button down. This functionality was broken as of Logic 8 and is a major drag. I know submenus are not a standard Apple GUI convention, but the ability WAS there before.

- NEW v9 WISH: user-definable color for the window focus outline? White is an improvement but it's still not as bold as some would like.

- EXISTING v8 BUG: Make the floating CPU/disk meter screenset-dependent; as of now it stays in its current location regardless of screenset.

- NEW v9 BUG: strange waveform overviews while recording (screenshot available). Example: if I have a 4-bar audio region on bars 10-14 and I start recording at bar 20, the overview starts back at bar 14 while recording, and the waveform is not drawn accurately at all; instead, it forms solid "blocks" representing amplitude until I hit stop. This is very disconcerting and is a useless visual representation of what's actually happening while recording.

- NEW v9 BUG: restore the ability to color a track AND its regions at the same time in the Arrange window. If I select a track then click a color in the color palette, it now only colors the track's regions but leaves the track color untouched. I don't want to have to open the mixer, select the track & color it there - I want to do it all in one click in the Arrange window, as before.

- LONGSTANDING BUG: selected region(s) should always be central on the screen when switching to a screenset with an Arrange window! There's still no "logic" to the current behavior; often times a selected region will be off to the right side of the screen.

- NEW v9 BUG: graphics glitch in the Audio Bin window when deleting a file (screenshot available). It leaves a "ghost image" of the deleted file until you either redraw the window or recall the screenset.

- LONGSTANDING BUG: the SPL always reverts to bar 1 after the first playback of a song (when you hit 'stop'), regardless of start point. It should revert to the last-played position.

- EXISTING v8 ISSUE: restore the "trash" folder from versions prior to Logic 8. It was really nice to be able to open that folder and selectively cut/copy deleted regions and paste them back into the arrangement. The undo system does not allow for this kind of flexibility.

- LONGSTANDING WISH: cache the track icons when Logic boots so they display instantly when clicked in the inspector. Also, display the icon popup horizontally rather than vertically. This would show all 340+ icons simultaneously on all but the smallest of screens.

- LONGSTANDING BUG: Hyperdraw pen tool is still "sticky" and doesn't draw smoothly much of the time (especially in the Piano Roll editor). It often feels like it can't keep up, and ends up drawing straight lines rather than the intended shape. Also, PLEASE give us some default drag & drop curves for automation; every other DAW on the planet has them.

- HARDWARE ISSUE (?) Many Emagic MIDI interface users are having major problems with losing communication; especially daisy-chained units.

- NEW v9 ISSUE (not researched yet): hotter output? nasty audible clipping when hitting 0db, even on short peaks. I could peg it pretty hard in all previous versions; it's almost like Logic's output is hotter than the meters are indicating?

Edited by whinecellarstudio

NEW v9 BUG: you can no longer move plugins with the hand tool (via the CMD key) in Arrange/Inspector channel strips. You can now do that only in the Mixer window - this is a major step backwards.

This is still working just fine here.

NEW v9 BUG: you can no longer move plugins with the hand tool (via the CMD key) in Arrange/Inspector channel strips. You can now do that only in the Mixer window - this is a major step backwards.

Can anyone confirm that this is still working? That would indeed be a HUGE step backwards ...

I have written this before but my understanding is that the developers never intended the note display in the Arrange window to serve any purpose other than to confirm there were MIDI notes in the region. Editing was to be done in the MIDI editors.

I think you're missing the point slightly, my friend. This has nothing to do with editing. The notehead display does exactly what you described -- it confirms that there are MIDI notes in a region, just like the birch bark display does. But unlike the birch bark, the notehead display shows the pitch contour. It must have been intentionally programmed to show exactly that. Or if it was a mistake, it was a gorgeous one that was around for probably 12 years or so and then deprecated for some unknown reason (more on this in a moment). But to the point --- you can't do editing of durations the birch bark display. You couldn't do it on the notehead display either. The ONLY thing you can edit on either display is velocity. And thank gawd THAT hasn't been deprecated. Yet...

I would think that people doing drum programming, say, would LOVE to see their kicks positioned at a lower point in the display than their snares or crashes. Right? Does that make sense? But depending on the zoom level, that display can appear to be exactly the opposite. Or totally kerfuffled! As you know, that's Yiddish for "totally freekin' useless." ;)

As far as the argument that the birch bark display shows durations, I certainly can't argue with anyone that finds it useful. Right? However, I just can't imagine a situation for myself where I'd want to see durations in that display because, after all, I played the notes in, why wouldn't I already know that info in my head?

But from a visual recognition standpoint, where you have scads of MIDI tracks, seeing the pitch contour immediately identifies (in my mind anyway) what I'm looking at in about 3 femtoseconds.

Furthermore (that's right, I'm not done yet...) look at these two regions:

http://www.score2picture.com/L9pix/bb1.jpg

http://www.score2picture.com/L9pix/bb2.jpg

Do they look like the same part to you? Well, they ARE!! They're both representations of this simple pattern of

kick, snare, crash, hh, but at two different zoom levels:

http://www.score2picture.com/L9pix/bbpr.jpg

Stellar feature that birch bark display. Stellar. Or, in the newspeak of the new generation, "epic fail".

So for this "new generation" whom, as you say, are growing up with a piano roll frame of mind... the piano roll editor (nee matrix editor) is nothing new. I remember Alan Friedman programming drums for C&C Music Factory on a PC laptop and editing that way. Heck, probably even Dr. T's Algorithmic Composer had a feature like this if memory serves. So what makes this generation different that they have to see birch bark instead of noteheads? 'Splain that one, Loooooocy. ;)

I am not disagreeing. I am only saying that Apple did the math and decided more new users relate to bar graphs than notes, so they went with bar graphs.

Do you know how many new users have suggested that Apple remove the Score Editor altogether because "traditional notation is a dated concept." ?

That is the reality, ugly though it is.

Really? Wow - it's definitely not working for me. I've tried holding CMD and all other modifier keys (and combinations) while in the Arrange inspector/channel strip area, and I get nothing but the pointer. Curious - did you install the ProKit update? Very strange...

Really? Wow - it's definitely not working for me. I've tried holding CMD and all other modifier keys (and combinations) while in the Arrange inspector/channel strip area, and I get nothing but the pointer. Curious - did you install the ProKit update? Very strange...

I do have the latest Pro Kit update installed.

As do I and it works here as well.

Thanks Chris. Man, I'd love to know if anyone else is having this problem! I was on 10.5.6 before, so I just ran the 10.5.7 combo updater & all updates, installed Logic 9, then the Pro Kit update, rebooted, repaired permissions, etc. - all the usual stuff. Can't imagine what would cause this one!

Jim

OK, figured it out. It DOES still work, however, the pointer no longer changes to the hand icon when you hold the CMD key - it only changes when you actually click on a plugin to move it. That's what was throwing me off - it's just a display issue. It should be fixed, IMHO.

Thanks fellas...

Jay, I'm glad we don't disagree. But...

I am only saying that Apple did the math and decided more new users relate to bar graphs than notes, so they went with bar graphs.

I'd love to take a poll and see if any of the people from this forum were polled on this question.

Do you know how many new users have suggested that Apple remove the Score Editor altogether because "traditional notation is a dated concept." ?

Yup, that's ugly alright. But it's not reality and it's not truth. It's the distillation of the ramblings of the ignorant. It's an over-reaction to what is deemed to be elistist, and who would do worse than the philistines and the proletariat to mistake elitism for normalcy?

As long as the world enjoys classical & contemporary music, film scores, and music lessons, there will remain a need for notation. To believe otherwise is to give credence to false notions of the uninformed.

The noteheads showed you the true arc of the pitch, regardless of the octave span. This is quite unlike the horror show that is the current display -- a display that never shows the correct pitch arc because the pitch indicators wrap to the bottom when the pitch gets above some threshold. For me, and I'm sure for others who appreciated the noteheads, there was never any issue with the notehead display not showing duration. If you knew your music then you knew the durations.

I'm on the verge of a rant about this (lack-of-noteheads rant #23) but I'm going to refrain from going there and sign off.

Ditto. I like the L7 note head display. Working on a friend's rig with L8, I found the L8 display of notes-as-stripes to be distracting and cluttered looking. It was a while ago but I seem to recall there was also a problem with muted notes not showing as such. (Did they fix that?) I like the simplicity of the L7 way, including being able to more accurately see the arc of the melody.

Jay, I'm glad we don't disagree. But...

I am only saying that Apple did the math and decided more new users relate to bar graphs than notes, so they went with bar graphs.

I'd love to take a poll and see if any of the people from this forum were polled on this question.

Yup, that's ugly alright. But it's not reality and it's not truth. It's the distillation of the ramblings of the ignorant. It's an over-reaction to what is deemed to be elistist, and who would do worse than the philistines and the proletariat to mistake elitism for normalcy?

As long as the world enjoys classical & contemporary music, film scores, and music lessons, there will remain a need for notation. To believe otherwise is to give credence to false notions of the uninformed.

Once again, I do not disagree with anything you are saying. What has happened and will continue to happen however is not about what I believe, or you believe, or the members of this forum, which is not a microcosm of the new users, it is about what Apple believes.

And as I believe the Bible says "You shall know them by their works.":)

ski wrote:

i really miss the noteheads but i must admit, it's easier to know where the midi note starts and ends when cuttin up MIDI regions now with the bars.

i can see why people who don't read notes prefer that but c'mon! how hard is it to make a preference choice out of this?

k

Anyone that thinks that notation will (or even could) become obsolete simply because DAW's users may prefer piano roll type editing simply does not understand what notation is. Notation is a language that is used to write down musical ideas. One sheet of paper, some lines, and some dots can communicate a clear musical idea. While piano roll style 'notation' only transmits musical ideas when processed through a DAW. Can anyone imagine a violinist playing a concert using sheets that look like piano roll? Or sight reading piano roll info? Any DAW taking this approach would loose a major proportion (especially professional users) of their business overnight.

Some people thought that tabs were superior to and would replace notation for guitar but those that thought this were unaware that tablature predated modern musical notation which evolved from tablature in order to be able to carry more information than could be done with tabs. When recorded speech became possible did we do away with the written language because it was no longer necessary to write things down? Notation is not becoming less of a standard simply because fewer people use it. If anything, this fact will only make those that do more 'elite'.

I personally prefer Logic 8's piano roll style view in regions because as has been mentioned it makes accurate 'cutting' easier to do from the arrange window. I does bug me that Logic doesn't represent the proper note positions but at least the starting/ending positions are accurate. I agree that a preference might be a good idea but as no actual note editing is possible in the arrange area other than cutting regions, I think the piano style is more useful than note-heads and should not be 'replaced'. As I do a lot of cutting in the region area I would find it impossible to use Logic with the note head-display, while note-heads offer no more functionality other than visually.

robinloops makes a ton of great points, including a very cogent and practical perspective re durations shown in the current piano roll-style display.

Were the Logic boyz to modify the interpretation of notes so that the lines of that accurately reflect pitch excursion, I would have no problem with never seeing the noteheads again. This, then, would satisfy the needs of both notehead and piano roll-style advocates.

Is there a way to search within a thread here?

I just loaded L9 hoping automation would actually work as drawn now, when soloing a track. Nope--still about a-measure-behind crapshoot. :roll:

You should start a new thread describing your problem and the steps to reproduce it. (BTW no, you cannot search within a thread)

Hey David,

I was actually responding to this thread of unfixed bugs, but didn't want to be redundant if there existed a search function--now I know there doesn't.

Thanks! :D

• 5 weeks later...
Did they fix...

The midi chase bug where midi CC's & sustain pedals set to midi channels other than 1 would not chase properly? For example, set an on/off sustain pedal on midi channel 2, play through the sustain off message and now jump into the middle of the sustain on message. Does the sustain pedal work?

Does anybody know?

I really want to be able to use two keyboards with separate sustain pedals badly.