For Quad Core PPC G5 Logic Pro Users

Never had this before!:

A number of your recent posts to the Apple Discussion Forums have been inappropriate. You have been notified regarding the proper use of the forum, but you continue to violate the Apple Discussions Use Agreement for Apple Discussions Forums.

This mail is notification that if you continue to violate the Apple Discussions Use Agreement of these Forums, Apple will disable your posting privileges for a period of time.

If you create new Apple ID(s), such ID(s) will be disabled without warning. The IP address(es) which you post from may be blocked, and your ISP may be notified.

Apple Discussions Staff

This message is sent from a send-only email account. Any replies sent to this address are deleted automatically by the system.

++++++++++

"COWARDS! They removed my posts about the Quad G5 and Logic Pro.

Well that shows your colours on that matter.

Instead of paying the moderator to delete my posts why not pay a programmer to change the code in logic and make it run on a G5 quad machine like we PAID FOR."

I'll speak for myself: I think apple have totally ripped off their G5 quad owners, specificallly those that use it with Logic Pro most of the time. They sold them a machine that can't be fully used by the software they also sold them. I don't mean a little bit, I think they got a significantly raw and unfair deal.

I think all Quad owners should consider a joint suit against Apple. I'm certainly advising my friend to get a lawyer to at least write a letter. The bottom line is that they are legally not on solid ground on this one. At least if you bought a quad, specifically for use with logic, you have been ripped off. If you were told it would be optimised by the sales person, then you were doubly ripped off right in your face and slapped there too.

I hope this thread doesn't mysteriously dissappear, mpower is right. i couldn't have said it better myself.

And ski, yeah it's neccessary. and don't belittle this issue by referring to this thread as a 'trip'. we're talking about an expensive machine that may never work at more than half it's capability, and as i worked myself into the grave to get it into my studio BECAUSE I WAS SPECIFICALLY TOLD OTHERWISE, i do NOT take it lightly. this is serious business. if it's not serious to you then that's great and i'm really happy for you. it is not so with me.

Well here's the sory.

Two weeks ago I contacted Apple and expressed my discontent regarding the Quad G5/Logic Pro issue. I send the mail to several high ranked apple (including SJ).

It didn't take long before I got an answer. "Apple was aware of the problem and they thought it would be best if we could solve the problem over the phone"

So far so good.

I got another mail to confirm a date and time.A technical expert was gonna call me to discuss my support options....

Then I got the call. Not by far to discuss a solution but to tell me that they would look for a software solution ( the ones discussed in the forum...) and that he was going to contact as soon as he had a solution.

Well, he called me yesterday to tell that none of the options were capable of handling the problem and that he didn't know if Apple was gonna support the G5 Quad....duh.....right back to where i started.........we have to wait for an anouncement from Apple..don't know when or if it's even gonna come.

Maybe time for some other meassures...

All Quad-owners together?

Let me know

Don't know how many but by the looks of it there will be quite a few of them.

First i'm gonna mail back up the apple-ladder and tell 'm that i'm not impressed with the way they "try" to handle this and see what the response is.I don't that you can do something legaly untill Apple anounces that they will not support the G5 Quad in Logic's case.

Another very angry G5 Quad owner here.

Someone should get this story posted on Slashdot. I don't think people are making enough noise about this very serious issue. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up, and this will have been just a nightmare. How can Apple do this? And the false advertising on the Mac Pro page??? Pitting a Xeon Quad using all 4 cores against a crippled 2 core PPC Quad... it's unthinkable!!! Maybe getting them to remove the false advertising from their site would be the first step... I know it sounds like conspiracy theory, but if they fixed the PPC Quad bug, their speed comparison goes out the window. Personally I'm not even convinced the new machines are as fast as the "old" Quad when running Logic. When you realize the PPC Quad is running at half power, that bar graph is hardly impressive.

I've been called by Apple and they are trying to come to some kind of agreement/solution. don't know what but they're not gonna replace the machine. They did say that Apple was going to take care of the softwareproblem. I'll keep you guys posted.

read this thread :

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=438279&an=&page=&vc=1

---------

Based on the Logic benchmarks I've seen, the Pro is slightly faster than the G5 quad for some plugins when you look at real perfomance and not give one machine an artificial advantage. More like 20-25% instead of the 60% apple claims.

With some plugins in Logic, the Pro so far seems to run them SLOWER than the G5.

As far as I can tell, the Logic numbers Apple is quoting are completely bogus, and potentially false advertising. I'm a little surprised the mac press is willing to let this sort of deception slide.

Post Extras:

Alam

Old Salt

Reged: 11/15/04

Loc: Planet Earth

Re: Logic Pro, Express update boosts Mac Pro perfo [Re: minderbinder]

#445811 - 09/14/06 10:27 AM

Reply Quote

Quote:

As far as I can tell, the Logic numbers Apple is quoting are completely bogus, and potentially false advertising. I'm a little surprised the mac press is willing to let this sort of deception slide.

You mean they really lie in the world of adverisement?

At every introduction or a new thing from Apple, Mac Press behaves somewhat like a buch of giddy cheer leaders... probably part of the strategy for survival and mutual benefit- just a guess!

Processors are not magic wands. Certain processors are faster at certain things, others faster at other things. Even though the Intel processors are generally faster than the PPC ones, you can always find certain tasks where the PPC are going to be faster than the Intel. Same thing with any two processors.

So Apple is going to find the tasks at which the new processors are faster and advertise based on that. Can you blame them?

Certain benchmarks show FW400 as being faster than FW800 for certain specific tasks. Should Apple advertise that? Is that false advertising to claim FW800 is faster than FW400? Should we sue them?

I did find the Quad/Mac Pro comparison interesting knowing that the Quad only runs on 2 processors for Logic, but if anything, it shows you that the Quad performs pretty well when compared to the Mac Pro, EVEN on only 2 processors.

....and EVEN ON 2 PROCESSORS????

I bought the freekin' thing because it has 4........Just to compare the Quad G5 to the Mac Pro is a joke.I don't care if other machines do well, I want MINE to do what it's supposed to do...RUN ON 4 PROCESSORS..that's what this threat is all about.

You know what I mean. Even if english is not my first language.....

Seems like whenever we talk about the 4 processorbug somebody starts about how good the quad is even on 2 processors and thats not the issue.By the way by threat i meant thread..

Jel, I know you meant thread, no hard feelings, I was just making a joke because at the same time this thread is starting to look like a threat to sue Apple. I didn't mean anything by it, believe me.

I'm not saying the Quad functioning only on 2 processors isn't an issue, I'm just saying that if anything, the comparison tables show that the Quad is still a good contender as far as power to run Logic.

And yet at the same time, I agree with Cyril that it is indeed weird that they would compare the Quad with the Mac Pro to show how much faster the Mac Pro is, while we all know the Quad is only using 2 cores instead of 4.

In fact, despite what I wrote before, I'm only now starting to understand Cyril's point about false advertising: it could be considered as false advertising for the Mac Pro, not for the Quad (obviously).

Anyway, I hope Apple is looking into it and will find a solution asap for all you Quad owners.

I was trying to figure out where to report false advertising, but I could not. Does anyone know what the procedure for this is? We have to get Apple to take down those deceptive benchmarks.

Also... yes what about how to start a class action? Everything on this subject is now quiet over on the Apple forums. I guess people got worn down by the moderators deleting all the posts.

Hi Xyla,

I'm not sure where one would deal with that, but maybe we need to draw the public's attention to the situation in a calmer and friendlier way. Not sure how that can be done.

I've championed the Mac since I can remember, I still want to keep using the Mac, even with the Intel inside, but I have to admit that I'm afraid that I might be let down again.

Apple needs to make this quad situation right so that it can retain all of it's past customers as well as gain new ones.

Wasn't there talk that NASA or some other organization purchased 50 quads or something like that? I'm sure Apple will do their best to make good.

The G5 Quad 2.5 ghz is *faster* than the Intel Quad 3 ghz.

Like I said, certain processors are faster at certain things and other processors faster at other things. You can always find a test that proves a PPC processor is faster than an Intel processor, or tests that prove the Intel is faster than the AMD, and other tests demonstrating the AMD is faster than both...

Don't believe the hype.