For Quad Core PPC G5 Logic Pro Users

Even within one application, a processor is going to be better at a certain type of processing, and another at another type of processing. So your question is virtually impossible to answer.

Apple will find the tests that make the new processor appear faster and base their advertising campaign on that. The nay-sayers are going to find the tests that make the old processors appear faster and scream conspiration theories.

This has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Did you know that Notator 1.0 was able to do several things that Logic Pro 7.2.2 can't?

I agree with you totally. I used Unitor for a number of years. It was a great piece of hard/software and never let me down to my memory.

I guess whether the Intel beats the G5 or the G5 beats the Intel, it isn't as important as making sure that both perform at their perceived level when purchased.

We all just want our machines and software to work right so that we can carry on being prolific with our writing, arranging and producing as well as being able to compete with each other.

Apparently, it's been confirmed...

The G5 Quad 2.5 ghz is *faster* than the Intel Quad 3 ghz.

Check out the thread on the Apple forums before it is deleted:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=643884

It seems pretty damn likely that is why Apple is screwing us over.

They have shorten, lock the thread and suppress MacPro v.s. Quad G5 results !

Apple is screwing us over !!!!

This is why they do not want to update Logic pro for the Quad G5 !!!

I saved a copy of the thread before Apple deleted the evidence.

Here is the link to the forum thread with benchmarks (in french):

http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=187740&st=30

Someone had posted a rouch altavista translation:

"On an application of financial calculation (with much of rate of disc transfer < - > memory) which we develop in UB, our measurements resemble that... Mac Pro 3 GHz is 18% slower than G5 Quad (all the remainder of the config is equivalent: 2 Raptor 150 Go in RAID 0 and 5 Go of RAM)... For the moment (provided that a wolf is not picked up...) we are very disappointed."

Hard to believe, but it seems pretty obvious that this is indeed a conspiracy.

Again, how can we fight this false advertising? Anyone?

Got a call from Apple today. They said that the Logic Pro/Quad problem now has the highest priority and that I could expect an update within a couple of weeks.

That would be great and it would solve my problems

Cheers guys!

This does sound hopeful and it would help solve my problems as well, but let's keep the subject active, maybe key down a bit but keep discussions until either it arrives or Apple publically announces their intentions. If the Logic Pro/Quad problem now has the highest priority, there is a good reason for it.

Yes, we don't want to suddenly go quiet and have Apple forget why it is high priority. I really hope they aren't just telling us what we want to hear. There is still the issue of a fix completely destroying their false benchmark ad campaign. Seriously, what will they do then? Hopefully just remove the Logic benchmarks from their site, but who knows? I'm still skeptical. Let's keep this thread alive.

Yes, we don't want to suddenly go quiet and have Apple forget why it is high priority. I really hope they aren't just telling us what we want to hear. There is still the issue of a fix completely destroying their false benchmark ad campaign. Seriously, what will they do then? Hopefully just remove the Logic benchmarks from their site, but who knows? I'm still skeptical. Let's keep this thread alive.

I posted a message on Apple discussions yesterday morning asking "How is the progress with the Logic Pro/quad problem?" I checked back last night and it was not locked, but totally gone. Wonder if they'll stop me from posting. [update: They disabled my username] As long as they keep pulling and locking our posts I sure don't get that nice warm fuzzy feeling about a fix anytime soon.

But then who knows.

Edited by StashO

Here's an interesting add-on.

I accidently got over to the Apple Pro Audio.com page. I might be missing something, but I'm wondering why there isn't even a mention of Logic Pro on the Apple Pro Audio.com page?

Go figure.

I have found this :

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/

can you paste the link you where referring ?

Did copy what you wrote on Apple discussion that was deleted and make you banned ? can you paste it here ?

Best

Cyril

Banned 3 times from East/west forum ! because of all the problems with QLSO Platinum

Hi Cyril,

The address was: www.appleproaudio.com

It was just strange to look at this page for "pro producers and engineers" by apple without apple bragging about Logic and all it's strengths.

As for the post I made, it was an innocent post asking about the progress of the LogicPro/quad problem. The rest of the crowd joined in and I did copy a bit of the last ones:

: Re: Any progress to report on Logic Pro/G5 quad problem?

Posted: Sep 22, 2006 9:10 PM in response to: linuxuser

Reply Email

http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=187740&st=30

Okay here it is. This benchmark BTW measures calculations which are relevant to Logic performance on the hardware.

Altavista:

"If I included/understood well (I am not morning wink.gif ). You compare the benchs between the quad 2,5 and Macpro 3 Ghz with Power Fractal?

I obtain more than 25000 with the quad G5 against 20000 and of the wheelbarrows on Macpro but after checking, Power Fractal is well in Universal and does not use Rosetta....

Thus are the figures much more flattering for G5 and Altivec of the blow, not?"

--------

"On an application of financial calculation (with much of rate of disc transfer < - > memory) which we develop in UB, our measurements resemble that... Mac Pro 3 GHz is 18% slower than G5 Quad (all the remainder of the config is equivalent: 2 Raptor 150 Go in RAID 0 and 5 Go of RAM)... For the moment (provided that a wolf is not picked up...) we are very disappointed."

-----

"I am not surprised, that explains why APPLE do not want to give an update of Logic so that it uses Quad to 400 % (4 X 100 %) Actuellement Logic produces an error "core audio overload" when the total of the load of the 4 proc of G5 is with nearly 200 %)"

Dual CPU 2Ghz Powermac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.7) Logic 7.2.2 Ubuntu PPC

That was all. You would think that if there were intentions of them(apple) taking care of this problem, they would have made it public or have it "accidentally leak out"

Maybe there just aren't enough quad owners to make a difference. I'd sure like to know how many people bought G5 quads.

This is good news. I will update tonight if I can find the time, or maybe next week. Did we get all that we expected or is there still a problem?

Where can one get ahold of the 2 benchmark tests that are being used?

I'm glad to start feeling good about Apple and look forward to one of their newer machines in the future.

I haven't had the time to really test it but heavy sessions seem to work smoothly.

Sessions that froze in the past. Also the system performance meter (in Logic)seems to have the same output as the activity monitor in my dock.

I'll let you know how this works out on the long run.

Have a nice weekend everybody :)

Everything working great here too, but i've only had a little time to open logic and check it out but at first glance it certainly looks like it's nearly doubled in strength. I can't report much more than it's running fine and the new 4-bar system performance window looks great. i can't wait to get more into this in a couple days, it looks very promising. i'm warm and fuzzy inside , for real.

Nice test.

I did my own, creating one track with a Sculpture pad holding a 6 note chord. I put a Space Designer with a 2 second delay time, a Logic delay and a Waves L1 limiter on each track, just for fun. Then I just started duplicating it.

Then I picked a 16 bar stereo drum loop, and started making audio tracks (NO sense in testing CPU usage WITHOUT testing disk usage as the same time).

I don't remember the final track counts, but I had a LOT of Sculpture tracks, and about 30 loops going all at the same time. I opened up a few of my old songs that I used to have to Freeze Tracks on..unfroze them, and had PLENTY of CPU to spare.

no crashes..no nuthin...seems to be a good fix all the way around for my Quad.