For Quad Core PPC G5 Logic Pro Users

you could use any other limiter plug in..I just used the Waves one cuz I had it ;)

I opened your session as well. I was able to play it, but I had to stagger the ESX tracks so they didn't all just kick in at once. I did it 4 tracks at a time, staggered a bar apart. Got about 2/3 of them unmuted before the CPU error message came up.

also got rid of about half of them, and added a bunch of stereo audio tracks with loops...again...makes a lot of sense to me to make the CPU deal with hard disk stuff as well as softsynths.

all in all...looks like Apple made an appropriate fix.

NOW..what about OS 10.4.8 that just hit???

Hello dkgross

you could use any other limiter plug in..I just used the Waves one cuz I had it ;)

Not sure that the limiter plug-in of Logic is using the same amount of CPU power than the Waves one :)

I opened your session as well. I was able to play it, but I had to stagger the ESX tracks so they didn't all just kick in at once. I did it 4 tracks at a time, staggered a bar apart. Got about 2/3 of them unmuted before the CPU error message came up.

also got rid of about half of them, and added a bunch of stereo audio tracks with loops...again...makes a lot of sense to me to make the CPU deal with hard disk stuff as well as softsynths.

all in all...looks like Apple made an appropriate fix.

NOW..what about OS 10.4.8 that just hit???

Did you set the EXS VM to off ?

What is your computer ?

You should not modify my song. It is on purpose it plays all notes at the same time. :)

To make the same test as I did you should only load Logic

a) mute all the track

b) put Logic to play

c) un-mute tracks FROM TRACK ONE until you get the core audio overload error.

Then :

d) you stop Logic

e) make it play again.

f) If you do get "core audio overload ", then you mute a track

g) you start again from (d) until you dont get the core audio overload error or hanging notes

Since 7.2 on my Quad I can play 26 track at a time ---> 26 X 24 = 624 notes, no improvement with 7.2.3 :(

Then you load "Activity Monitor" (in Application utilities) and you watch how much CPU is used by Logic when playing

Thanks for doing the test again, this will show if Apple is fooling us or not

Best

Cyril

I'm on a Quad G5 with 5 gigs of Ram. I got to 25 tracks. It was fun watching the Processor usage windows (both within Logic AND with Activity Monitor.

also...try taking your tracks and shifting them down a bar. Let a bar of 'blank' play first. (fyi..my buffer is at 128).

all in all..I think the fix is pretty good. I'll try a few more 'real world' test this week with songs I've done that used to crash the processor (and make me do a LOT of 'freeze tracks'. That'll be a better litmus test for me.

I'm on a Quad G5 with 5 gigs of Ram. I got to 25 tracks.

If you set your buffer to 512 or 1024 you will gain a track!

Is Logic around 260 % of CPU load ?

I have made this song to make comparaison with Kontakt 2 as in K2 you can import EXS samples. K2 is going mad with 3 tracks :(

I would like to see my test song run on a MacPro quad 3 ghz to se how it is reacting there ?

Firstly, I sympathise for the Quad owners that for so long were left in the dark. It's frankly unacceptable that Apple left it so long. If emagic still owned the company, perhaps I'd be a little more forgiving. But knowing emagic, it probably would have been already sorted anyway! - Enough of that.

I ran the EXS test. Now baring in mind I use a Digi Core-audio manager (Which sometimes spikes up to %20 CPU overhead) On a Dual 1.8ghz G5, Sample rate of 44,100 Hz, Buffer of 256 Initially I could run only 13 tracks. Switiching off Virtual Memory got me 14 tracks. Switching to 32-bit Sample Storage (within the EXS24) then gave me a respectable max track count of 20

Loading the samples in 32-bit (and running my os) Used 3.46GB of my total 3.5GB

It's not entirely accurate however, as the Environment hasn't been cut down to only account for the tracks nessacery in this test. And some tracks do indeed play more than the stated 24 as overlapping occures. The Piano & Strings layer for instance sometimes reaches 64.

Also, curiously, I do not have the Harpsichord or Full Organ EXS instruments. Not too big a loss there though :P

Thanks for setting it up though, if other people also use this test, then at least we can gather some pretty detailed information on our speeds relative to other users

just curious...any other QUAD owners notice their fans kicking in a lot more often since the latest updates (Logic AND Mac OS...)

I'm quiet here too. I did have a problem before with fans. Oddly, it turned out to be connected with 2 devices that couldn't coexist on the firewire bus. Strange.

Regarding the full cpu support, this issue isn't dead yet. While there was some improvement in the last update, it was only incremental. I've now tried several test songs and can't get it past 260% cpu utilization.

It's just occured to me that I should see what Final Cut Pro, or better, Motion can draw from the cpu's. Maybe do up some kind of multitrack fractal generation and see how far it will go. Hmmmm.....

hmm..tell me more about the Firewire Bus details...I'm wondering if that' s my issue. Pretty much just opening Logic or ProTools kicks the fans on high. I've got three record drives...and a PCIe card with 3 extra fw ports..I try NOT to daisy-chain drives if I can avoid it.

hmm..tell me more about the Firewire Bus details...I'm wondering if that' s my issue. Pretty much just opening Logic or ProTools kicks the fans on high. I've got three record drives...and a PCIe card with 3 extra fw ports..I try NOT to daisy-chain drives if I can avoid it.

My problem was mostly with a Canopus ADVC300 on one of the ports of my PCIe NitroAV FW card sharing with a Digi002. Oddly, I have them now plugged into the G5's port and they are happy together. This completely solved the fan problem. No more system crashes was another advantage. I have no idea why these would be causing the fans to accelerate madly at times.

hmmm...guess I should do a bunch of different rewirings to determine which devices need to be directly into the G5 ports and which ones can go off the PCIe firewire card.

I believe that now, the Motu FW interface is in one G5 slot, and one record drive is in another. I have three little Porsche 250g drives that I use for video stuff and archiving, but they stay off most of the time (and they're on the PCIe card.

I love troubleshooting :)

Cyril..I'll plead ignorance on the whole 'SATA solution'. I'm just using LaCie D2's on the FW 800 PCI-e card...Something tells me I shoulda bought something else.

Feel free to enlighten me :)

You have Sata cards for MAc like the RocketRaid 1820 A.

search in google for : sata mac pci you will have all the solution

If you want to chat my AIM is : cyrillindablanc

OK, back to the original topic?

i'm confused as to whether this quad problem is fixed or not. my activity monitor doesn't show nearly as much activity as the logic system performance window shows. sorry to even bring this up, but i'm still curious. logic is working great these days, and i'm working at 88.2 with little problemsso far, but i'm just getting into a much more audio-heavy project and feel like i'll be hitting a ceiling fairly soon, so i'm still curious about this issue and how much more powerful this program could be if it was using more of the cpu and ram. it's a shame logic still can't use much ram. when the quad came out a tech told me it would be able to use as much as you put in, so i bought 8 gigs. what a waste of hard earned cash.

Hi Cyril,

My first post. Here are the results on your test song on a MacPro 3.0GHz, 5Gig RAM. It did not show any core audio overload but it stopped and got the message "Deep Architecture. Please unpack some folders" when the 26th track was unmutted. Played it again many times with all 28 tracks unmutted and it seems fine with no Deep Architecture message. I took a screenshot of all 28 tracks playing (attached)

Hope this helps

Dyan

MacProTest.gif.0d17ea786e5a0b370cae478c2ec07269.gif

Hi Cyril,

My first post. Here are the results on your test song on a MacPro 3.0GHz, 5Gig RAM. It did not show any core audio overload but it stopped and got the message "Deep Architecture. Please unpack some folders" when the 26th track was unmutted. Played it again many times with all 28 tracks unmutted and it seems fine with no Deep Architecture message. I took a screenshot of all 28 tracks playing (attached)

Hope this helps

Dyan

Hi Dyan

Thanks you very much for running the test. Its good to know that there no EXS limitation in Logic.

Now we need to know if Logic can go over 260 % of CPU load on the Mac Pro Quad 3 Ghz

Can you look in the activity monitor how much CPU power is used by Logic playing the 28 tracks

Thanks again.

Best

Cyril