Logic Pro and Express 9.1.1 Available

midiman

About Logic Pro 9.1.1

This update delivers improved compatibility and numerous fixes.

Issues addressed with 9.1.1 include:

Improved stability of the 32-Bit Audio Unit Bridge

Compatibility with Novation's Automap feature in 64-bit mode.

Compatibility with Euphonix Eucon protocol in 64-bit mode.

Issues addressed with Logic Pro 9.1.0 include:

Support for 64-bit native mode

Compatibility with 64-bit Audio Unit plug-ins

File names with over 32 characters are now supported

Samples are now mapped correctly when using the "Contiguous Zones" option in the EXS editor

Updated System Requirements

32-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later

64-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later

The update is recommended for all users of Logic Pro 9.

For detailed information on this update, including some restrictions when working in 64-bit mode, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2565

About Logic Express 9.1.1

This update delivers improved compatibility and numerous fixes.

Issues addressed include:

• Support for 64-bit native mode

• Compatibility with 64-bit Audio Unit plug-ins

• File names with over 32 characters are now supported

• Samples are now mapped correctly when using the "Contiguous Zones" option in the EXS editor

Updated System Requirements

• 32-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later

• 64-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later

The update is recommended for all users of Logic Express 9.

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2567

Great :-)

Still on my MIA list

Automation: Interface issue

Interface problem when pulling up/down on the line between two nodes. Requires multiple strokes (4-5 strokes) of the mouse to make volume up/down automation that only requires one stroke in Logic 8. This is due to the increased resolution near the bottom of the scale.

Example: Set volume fader to minus infinity. Use Shift+Control+Option and drag to create 4 nodes. Pull up on the line between 2 nodes until you reach unity (0 dB). This could be done in one stroke in Logic 8, but now requires several strokes or one seriously big mouse mat. Same problem when performed from the top and down.

Solution: make control linear (coarser and faster) near the bottom of the scale by default and use modifier to manually increase resolution (fine and slower) near the bottom of the scale.

Automation: Non-existant volume fader/node values

Can not match exact volume fader values in automation data, e.g. +3.3 dB unless the fader is already at that position when creating a node.

Solution: Match volume fader values when manually creating nodes in track automation.

Edited by lagerfeldt

Can report that BFD2 is now working a treat! Yay!

I'm not sure if I am missing something completely, or I have a dodgy setting, but I am not able to view a movie in the sessions at all (I know we can't use firewire or Digital Cinema Desktop).. I can only see the frames in the Video global track. I thought at least you might be able to watch via a basic window, or is this just how it is for now?

Cheers,

Matt

Guitar Rig 4 interface now appears to be working properly. Prior to this update, some interface elements did not work (such as showing and hiding the tuner, recorders and metronome).

I am not sure, but it also seems that the processor load for 32 bit software instruments and effects have been reduced a small amount.

Its nice to know that Apple is striving to improve and optimize Logic. Good job Apple!

I now have 3 versions of logic express... when i installed my update...

I originally have LE 8, then I bought the upgrade... and got just Logic Express (no 9)... and then when I upgrade i have two LE 9's - one being called "LE 9.01" - does it keep the old version? here's a screen shot:

http://grab.by/39Pm

p.s. can someone please help me figure out how to put images into posts? Just click "IMG" put in the url and then click "IMG" again ?

I would delete the old versions unless you need them for some special reason.

Use the "Add attachment" button to attach an image to your post.

If your image is already uploaded to another server you can paste the URL and wrap

[img][/img]

tags around it.

I don't think you can do that with your Tiny Grab URL since there's no direct picture file reference in it. You'll have to upload the PNG using the forum attachment function.

Can someone tell me why they would make it so that all new instrument tracks default to an EVP88? That's just a weird inclusion to me... an EXS24 would have made more sense if it absolutely had to happen at all.

Re: why not EXS24 - EVP88 requires no loading of samples. MainStage already did this, so I guess they just included it in Logic as well.

It does seem weird to me as an experienced user, but makes sense as a gesture of friendliness to new users. It shows more obviously where the Software Instrument AU plugin goes. (I don't want to see any more posts about "where do I put the VSTi on my instrument track?")

Awesome! My major workflow issues have been addressed:

It is now possible to run FXPansion's BFD2 plug-in the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge.

Various issues with the GUI and controls of Native Instruments plug-ins in the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge are resolved.

CPU performance at high sample rates has been improved.

Thanks Apple! Looking forward to downloading this tonight and cranking out some album mixes this weekend! Sweet!

is the "32 bit audio unit bridge" supposed to be in the dock?

also, i only have 4 gigs of ram, is there any point in running logic express in 64 bit mode?

No. 64 bit Logic only affects systems with more than 4 gigs of RAM. There's no shame in sticking with 32 bit. I have 8 gigs of RAM and I still use 32 bit and will continue to do so for a while.

Well, I'm a tad disappointed that they fixed the following:
  • • Double-clicking the position of a marker in the Marker List no longer causes it to unexpectedly shift position when the project start is earlier than 1 1 1 1.

but, somehow ignored the fact that double-clicking the position of a marker actually creates another...

Happy to see another update and lots more snags etc being fixed!

Disappointed they've not got round to fixing/restoring Ultrabeat's envelope automation - still can't write automation from control surfaces (worked in Logic 8.02, but not since)... there are workarounds, I know...

Can someone tell me why they would make it so that all new instrument tracks default to an EVP88?

I just updated, running in 32-bit mode, and a newly created software channel strip does not contain any plug-in. Working for other people?

It does if you create a new software instrument using the New Track menu/button. One quirk is that it only seems to do it for the last one if you add multiple Software Instruments track this way. It also only adds the plugin if you have 'open library' ticked. :roll:

Edited by involver

The EVP is CPU and RAM light and requires no samples, so it's quick to load.

If the behaviour was as before with an empty instrument, you'd still have to go to the instrument slot and pick and instrument, or a channel strip setting etc, so the new way whilst being more straightforward to the non-manual-reading-newbies shouldn't really interfere with anyone else's workflow, imo.

It's not like you have to remove it, then add the instrument you wanted.

But, from here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2370997&tstart=0&messageID=11242862#11242862

"If you prefer having a blank SI channel strip, even when 'open library' is ticked -

1) Quit Logic.

2) Go to: Library/Applications support/Logic/Channel strip settings/Instrument/01 Logic Instruments/

3) Rename the EVP88 Electric Piano.cst to some other name of your choice.

Restart Logic and create a new software instrument track. It is nice and empty"

Nice tip from JG99 there...

Can someone tell me why they would make it so that all new instrument tracks default to an EVP88? That's just a weird inclusion to me... an EXS24 would have made more sense if it absolutely had to happen at all.

I don't understand this either, there should be an option to turn this off.

With 9.1.1 when you click on a track header it no longer selects all the sections on that track. This is VERY annoying, can anyone confirm?

That's working fine here, have you checked your General Editing preferences to see if the option is disabled or not?

J.

I disabled then re enabled it, still no change. Only seems to be happening on Projects created pre 9.0