Logic Pro 8 at NAMM???

porter

Gotta agree on this big time. There is NO WAY that were gonna see Logic 8 Before Leapord comes out. That just wouldent make ANY kinda sence. Here, use this huge update that you will have to update again with in a few months? Doubt it.

[scratches head, puzzled] Just one thing... if they can come out with updates for OSX every few months, why not Logic? Y'know, to fix a bug or two? Or five?

And re the Quad issue, there's really no way to tell how much time/money/resources they had to spend to make the fix for the PPC Quads. Some of the programmer types on the Apple/Logic forum suggested that it might take nothing more than minor surgery to allow the Quads to run on all 4. Specifically some suggested that Logic for the Quad was deliberately hobbled, and that the fix was a matter of undoing the deliberate hobbling thingee whatchamacallit in the code. But we really don't know for sure.

The other thing about the Quad issue is that people buying Logic for their Quads really had no reason to believe that only 50% of its power could be used running Logic. So in my view, that was a fix that Quad owners deserved to get gratis.

Frankly, I'd be willing to pay for bug fixes. I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but if it were a matter of spending, oh, say, $50 to alleviate various headaches it would be oh so worth it.

Anyway, I'm done...

scratches head, puzzled] Just one thing... if they can come out with updates for OSX every few months, why not Logic? Y'know, to fix a bug or two? Or five?

I agress with.. Please dont misunderstand me. I just think moving to the 64 bit arc. is more thian a "Minor Fix" so if a whole program overhaul is in the works It would make sence to do it then.. U dont think so?

And re the Quad issue, there's really no way to tell how much time/money/resources they had to spend to make the fix for the PPC Quads. Some of the programmer types on the Apple/Logic forum suggested that it might take nothing more than minor surgery to allow the Quads to run on all 4. Specifically some suggested that Logic for the Quad was deliberately hobbled, and that the fix was a matter of undoing the deliberate hobbling thingee whatchamacallit in the code. But we really don't know for sure.

I agreee, and if the code was delebratly hobbled that sucks, in the grand scheme of the world I thought they responded pretty quickly with the Quad fix. It just seemed forever because of thier damn secrecy policy. We had no idea for a while the Boom! Fixed.

So in my view, that was a fix that Quad owners deserved to get gratis.

Agreed, and apperently apple does too!

Frankly, I'd be willing to pay for bug fixes. I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but if it were a matter of spending, oh, say, $50 to alleviate various headaches it would be oh so worth it.

Anyway, I'm done...

Man I would gladly pay another grand to get this kinda attention. I definilty an SUPER unhappy with the speed with which the program has been updated, but I did not expect to see L8 at NAMM. I also feel that signs are pointing to it coming soon, you even here things popping up n the apple blogs about logic now, and I never used to see that.

But

We just wont know till its out. Thats one thing I like about Digi, at least they bragged a little just before a major release.

MH

I agress with.. Please dont misunderstand me. I just think moving to the 64 bit arc. is more thian a "Minor Fix" so if a whole program overhaul is in the works It would make sence to do it then.. U dont think so?

I agree, the move to 64 bit isn't so straightforward. Neither would a total revamp of the score editor (which is almost there, but known to be essentially a re-hash of its original code). But I'm talking about other kinds of fixes. Even just something simple like a "trap" that would prevent Logic from crashing if you try to load in more than samples than Logic can address (approx 3 GB); the kind of thing that are known as "maintenance releases".

Anyway... onwards...

Best,

-=sKi=-

.. i think what stresses me the most is that absolutely "zeroness" of apple´s communication. many of us here are longtime users and loyal professionals, and regarding these 4 years since the acquistion we really deserve some attention.

i mean, it´s us paying all this stuff, it´s us they need to run their business. (talking in general).

would it really be that hard to just say "dont worry folks. you´ll get what you want, and we´re on our way"?

oh dear .. i am very angry .. :(

putte

Yeah...I just think we have to be patient a few more months.

What's even tougher is seeing some of the NAMM demos all running on new Mac Pro's and Logic not even blinking a bit while running 54 EXS's playing a full symphonic score. My Quad would die a quick death trying to do that.

the new Apogee card for the MacBook Pro is pretty darned amazing.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/symphonymobile.php

Don't worry; Logic is in good hands. I have very reliable information that Apple is working hard on Logic. I don't know what they're doing or when they will be done, but let me put it this way: I'm confident enough that over the last few months I bought a tweaked out Mac Pro, a Symphony card, an AD and a DA16x, and will get the new expressCard for my MBP. I'm a professional and all I do is audio. I wouldn't have spent better than 13 grand on Apple/Apogee over Digi HD without a good reason.

One thing I can relate: I went to an Apple/Apogee event quite a while ago. I said to the Apogee guy, "this Ensemble looks great and all, but frankly why should anyone get this when Apple seems to have let Logic die and Pro Tools rules the roost?" After some marketing-schtick hemming and hawing, he said to me, "look buddy, obviously I can't disclose anything, but just take a second and think about it: why would Apogee be throwing all its chips in with Apple if we didn't know Apple was in this fight for real?"

But for now, like many of you, I'm impatient as hell and for now still have to go to PT for many tasks.

also for people predicting the downfall of logic in apple's hands, take a look at this from a financial perspective; logic is worth a real decent amount of money considering its high price point and the tons of audio and film professionals who use it...if apple were to decide they didnt want to deal with it, they wouldn't shelve an asset worth millions, they'd sell it to another audio developer.

that being said everything i've read points to logic 8 just taking a while because a substantial or complete rewrite is coming, so i guess we just have to be patient..

also for people predicting the downfall of logic in apple's hands, take a look at this from a financial perspective; logic is worth a real decent amount of money considering its high price point and the tons of audio and film professionals who use it...if apple were to decide they didnt want to deal with it, they wouldn't shelve an asset worth millions, they'd sell it to another audio developer.

that being said everything i've read points to logic 8 just taking a while because a substantial or complete rewrite is coming, so i guess we just have to be patient..

Not only that, but a new and super-powerful Logic 8 would drive sales of fast new Mac Pros. Particularly if it was Intel-only.

Yeah...I just think we have to be patient a few more months.

What's even tougher is seeing some of the NAMM demos all running on new Mac Pro's and Logic not even blinking a bit while running 54 EXS's playing a full symphonic score. My Quad would die a quick death trying to do that.

the new Apogee card for the MacBook Pro is pretty darned amazing.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/symphonymobile.php

I though he said had 154 tracks of ESX when playing that score. My Macbook would choke on what Vince was doing with that remix he demo'd unless I froze much of those tracks.

I remember the time I actually sat down on Sunday and watched that whole seminar (instead of catching 4 minutes here and there as I passed by) he had two or three other projects open too during the demo as I recall. I remember the scored track (did you guys think he was running the Vienna Symphonic Library?) I herd 154 and I thought WTH? I might be remembering it wrong but thats what I thought I herd him say. My girlfriend was with me let me ask her what she heard, my hearing is not all that great.