Logic Pro 8 at NAMM???

porter

I think that Apple have to show us a new big update like 7.5 or even 8.0 to stay at the top with the big league.

The biggest releases are Ableton 6 and Cakewalk Sonar 6 Steinberg Cubase 4.

Apple have to remake the softsynths ES 1 and ES 2 with better soundengines and better interface=looks, that is what I think.

New features to speed your workflow up a bit, look at Ableton, blink blink.

What do you think?

:D

I'd be happy with just the following:

1. a pre- and post- roll feature like PT and DP

2. an option to use different tools based on the location of the mouse in the track (like DP and PT); a "Smart Tool" as it's called

3. an option to return the SPL to the last start point WITHOUT doing a screen redraw if it's on the same page

4. fix the bugs; at least some of them.

I own most of the major apps, from my viewpoint they are still chasing Logic featurewise, what I am hoping for is integration of the soundtrack pro audio editor, and more apple-ization of the GUI.

8)

I agree with you on this. You can't even purchase Soundtrack separately anymore.

You might be lucky!

I noticed today that the shipping time of Logic 7.2 from the UK Apple Store has gone from 24 hours to 3-4 weeks.

Here in Germany the shipping time is still 24 hours - that is definetely no indication for a new release.

Cheers, Peter

i hear that ... it would be very convenient wouldn't it? It be nice to record an audio instrument as if it was actual hardware.

You can.... Use Soundflower in combination with your current Core Audio driver, as an Aggregate device. Then you can route anything to anything!! It's really easy and really great.

I wish Apple would improve Logic's midi recording capability. As it stands it cannot record more that 16 midi tracks at once (since it bypasses core midi and cannot differentiate more that 16 midi channels at once). This makes logic utterly useless for recording from say a groove box transmitting on all 16 channels, whiel also recording say a midi keyboard or soft synth at the same time, making Logic the worst MIDI sequencer of the lot. I'd dearly love for Apple to improve this situation (although I know its unlikely).

Kevin Nolan

From what I can tell there will be something new on the Pro Audio side, but you know Apple mums the word. I'm thinking that they will probably introduce Logic 8, a complete new rewrite. It will probably be built off Soundtrack Pro's Engine, since you can use all the same plugs. I would also imagine that they will probably port over the Midi engine, and plugs.

But that's all speculation, we'll just have to see.

I wish Apple would improve Logic's midi recording capability. As it stands it cannot record more that 16 midi tracks at once (since it bypasses core midi and cannot differentiate more that 16 midi channels at once). This makes logic utterly useless for recording from say a groove box transmitting on all 16 channels, whiel also recording say a midi keyboard or soft synth at the same time, making Logic the worst MIDI sequencer of the lot. I'd dearly love for Apple to improve this situation (although I know its unlikely).

Kevin Nolan

OMG!!! So F'ing true!!! Cubase SX can handle this.. I mean, how hard is it? Port 1 Channels 1-16, Port 2, Channels 1-16. Not Ports 1-8 using the same channels!!! That is insane!! One External sampler might use channels 1-16 in logic messing up everything else... This concept with logic killed me. I hope these Germans are hard at work on some good stuff, also the EXS 24 needs a total re haul. You know how tedious it is to create loop points for 12 samples?!!! And the Keymap editor is crap, not to mention the worst aliasing in any software sampler..

From what I can tell there will be something new on the Pro Audio side, but you know Apple mums the word. I'm thinking that they will probably introduce Logic 8, a complete new rewrite. It will probably be built off Soundtrack Pro's Engine, since you can use all the same plugs. I would also imagine that they will probably port over the Midi engine, and plugs.

SoundTrackPro, already uses LogicPros engine and has done since its inception. If you have used STPro, you wouldn't want Logic to be heading that way, as it's entirely unusable in a professional sense. It is extremely clunky.

Though, I do think that Logic is due for a major overhaul and I don't think it would be too hard to guess, that it is likely to start looking a lot more like the other pro apps that are in the Final Cut Studio bundle. (The Logic GUI is lookin' a bit tired and clunky at present).

SoundTrackPro, already uses LogicPros engine and has done since its inception. If you have used STPro, you wouldn't want Logic to be heading that way, as it's entirely unusable in a professional sense. It is extremely clunky.

Though, I do think that Logic is due for a major overhaul and I don't think it would be too hard to guess, that it is likely to start looking a lot more like the other pro apps that are in the Final Cut Studio bundle. (The Logic GUI is lookin' a bit tired and clunky at present).

For gods sake, don't remake Logics GUI so it becomes as big and slow as Cubase! One of the reasons I prefer Logic is because I can see LOADS of tracks at the same time and recalling of screensets is super snappy.

However, other parts of Logic could need an overhaul. The whole routing/environment thing should be expanded/redesigned to make it easier and more flexible.

Hey guys, I'm here at the NAMM show, and a friend was nice enough to lend me his powerbook to update this thread. Unfortunately no new Logic version has been announced, the exciting news here on the Apple booth is the announcement of Symphony mobile, which interfaces with a laptop: 1.6ms latency with 32 tracks at 192KHz from your Mac Book Pro. That's pretty nifty.

But yeah, that's all folks.

It is more interesting to watch a rock decay into sand then to see the development of Logic... If Apple is abandoning Logic let them please tell that to us, i am getting really annoyed by this "We won't talk about futher products" policy from Apple. There has not been any sign of development in Logic the last couple of years...

Oh and for the record, "improved garageband compatabilty" is not an improvement, that, my dear logic developers, that is and insult :!:

It is more interesting to watch a rock decay into sand then to see the development of Logic... If Apple is abandoning Logic let them please tell that to us, i am getting really annoyed by this "We won't talk about futher products" policy from Apple. There has not been any sign of development in Logic the last couple of years...

Oh and for the record, "improved garageband compatabilty" is not an improvement, that, my dear logic developers, that is and insult :!:

Aye. There's a lot of worry floating around the Logicsphere. I've heard that a few of the developers over at Emagic quit their jobs due to the direction of Logic's development (or lack thereof?).

I'm really starting to wish Digidesign would get on the ball with PT LE's CPU efficiency. As Logic has been continuingly working against my deadlines over the past few weeks, I've been forced to try to work totally inside Pro Tools.. not fun when only a handful of plug-ins maxes your meters.

But hey, this is only the first day of NAMM, and I vaguely remember Apple holding off until the end of the day when they showed off last time, so who knows.

Fingers crossed for someone, somewhere to get everything in order,

R.