New 2011 Mac Mini Server & Logic 9 *UPDATED 9/26/11*

I need to slightly correct something i said in my earlier post.

The version of Lion on a MMS is not exactly the same as the version found on a 2011 iMac.

The version on a 2011 MMS has the Server software installed but NOT running.

It is only when you run the Server Configuration app does that activate and start the various Server apps themselves running as background tasks.

If you don't run that Server Configuration app then none of the actual Server apps themselves run in the background and so in essence, that version of Lion is identical to the one found running on a 2011 iMac. (with the exception of hardware specific drivers etc.. of course)

I should have mentioned that I installed an SSD drive right off the bat and since the drive I removed had the OS on it I did an Internet REstore [command+r on boot]. When the restore was complete the machine had Lion Server on it as the server app was sitting in the dock.

Thats why I was curious about doing a standard Lion install. Loving the machine though!

I should have mentioned that I installed an SSD drive right off the bat and since the drive I removed had the OS on it I did an Internet REstore [command+r on boot]. When the restore was complete the machine had Lion Server on it as the server app was sitting in the dock.Thats why I was curious about doing a standard Lion install. Loving the machine though!

Yes.. I too, have that Server Configuration App in the dock but so long as you don't run it... your copy of Lion is a standard one and has not yet been Server'fied so to speak!

..and yes, couldn't be happier with my purchase either.. Great amount of 'bang for the buck' that's for sure!

How hot, in relative terms?

Mine gets fairly warm to the touch and on occasion i will hear the fans really ramp up but it never gets hot hot... just fairly warm.. but as I said, it is a relative term so it's hard to know if yours is getting hotter than mine without some form of relative comparison to go by...

If you are concerned then i would suggest downloading SMCfancontrol and checking out the internal temps using that free program..

http://www.eidac.de/

How hot, in relative terms?

Mine gets fairly warm to the touch and on occasion i will hear the fans really ramp up but it never gets hot hot... just fairly warm.. but as I said, it is a relative term so it's hard to know if yours is getting hotter than mine without some form of relative comparison to go by...

If you are concerned then i would suggest downloading SMCfancontrol and checking out the internal temps using that free program..

http://www.eidac.de/

My MMS reaches 86 degree C when running with logic, Google Chrome and iTunes altogether.

My MMS reaches 86 degree C when running with logic, Google Chrome and iTunes altogether.

Well, when I am doing some heavy work on mine it can and often does, reach the upper 70s and maybe it gets even higher and I simply don't pay attention at the time..

Anyhow, as an aside...

A useful forum for all things MMS is;

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

There are a few threads about heat and the MMS on there...

• 2 weeks later...

I read through this thread with great interest as I'm really getting to need a new Mac (running a mid-2007 2.4GHz Core2 Duo iMac currently) but can't seem to pull a lot of money together. Thank you for this info.

A couple of questions for you:

1) Did you do the Memory upgrades yourself? I recently had a couple older Mac Minis' memory upgraded & the who process seemed pretty involved - are the new MMS' a little easier to upgrade?

2) I run a dual monitor setup (well, including the iMac - will grab a new Samsung or something if I do this). I understand the MMS comes with a Display Port --> DVI adapter. How would I connect the second screen?

Again, thank you for the info!!!!!!

The new MMs have a simple screw off base that you can take off in about 5 secs. The memory slots reside right underneath so replacing the memory chips is extremely easy. It took me about 2 minutes to do mine..

As for dual monitors.. You could use the HDMI -> DVI for one and the Thunderbolt/Display Port for the other...

See this little review for the 2011 MM (but the same applies to the MMS as well.) for pics of what i am talking about as well as info on Dual Displays...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/25/mac-mini-review-mid-2011/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel, I've read all your thread on the mac mini server 2011 and I thank you for everything you've learned and many questions answered.

Now you mention my case to see what you think.

Currently I have in the studio a Mac pro 1.1, 2'66 and 8GB of ram, 500gb hard drive for osx and audio programs, and two hard drives connected via eSATA Iomega, a 1TB for libraries and other 500gb for projects.

The interface is a emsemble, and I have connected two satellite Uad duo, virus ti, maschine, kore and soon boost novation keyboard 61 impulse.

2 Euphonix MC Mix and MC Transport.

Monitor Dell 24 "U2410

Would do well to sell the mac pro and buy a mac mini server and 8GB ram 2011.

The first option I propose is:

Sell the mac pro and the dell 24 "and buy the following:

Mac mini server 2011 + 8GB ram + ssd crucial 256GB + 500GB 7200rpm crucial

Thunderbolt Apple Display 27 "

Led Tv 32 "Philips

Connect your Mac mini:

4 usb mac mini- virus ti, keyboard, trackball

3 USB 27 "- 61 novation, maschine, kore

TV 32 "- Mac mini hdmi

Apple Display 27 "- Mac mini thunderbolt

FW800 apple display 27 "- uad+ uad + libraries 1TB hard drive iomega

Mac mini FW800 - ensemble

The second option I propose is:

Sell the mac pro and buy the following

Mac mini server 2011 + 8GB ram + ssd crucial 256GB + 500GB 7200rpm crucial

Led Tv 32 "Philips

Connect your Mac mini:

4 usb mac mini- virus ti, keyboard, trackball, usb dell

4 usb dell 24 "- 61 novation, maschine, kore

TV 32 "- Mac mini hdmi

Dell 24 "- DisplayPort to DVI Mac mini

Mac mini FW800 - ensemble + uad + uad + iomega 1TB hard disk libraries

Which option do you think I would be better, it's worth, change the dell 24 "Apple display for 27".

Will I have problems with Option 2, to connect the ensemble, but the two satellite uad, but the omega of 1Tb hard drive, all on the Mac mini FW800 port.

Thank you for your time to read you all, and sorry for my English is not very good.

Greetings. :D

Dave

So long as your Mac Pro is working well.... I'd do neither and stay with your Mac Pro for the time being.... as it is about as powerful as one Mac Mini Server is...

Later, when there are more Thunderbolt devices available I'd buy a Mac Mini Server and connect that to your Mac Pro... via VE Pro... giving you quite a powerful system for a minimum amount of extra money...

Thanks Nigel, you're great.

My Mac Pro works perfectly.

So I will wait a bit and buy a mac mini server and VE.

Thank you very much.

This photo is of my study now, I myself have made the reform. I need acoustic treatment, I'll do it soon

Dave :D

DSC05989.JPG.e03c0119ed03a17592f73b129965340f.JPG

DSC06098.JPG.2aa7214c42022db78723a6155f0f1791.JPG

DSC06100.JPG.4f8cb79255a6773ff14f1594a46470e7.JPG

Do all your plug ins work with no issues? Just the 2.0Ghz worries me from reading some posts online which stops me each time i look to click buy. It makes me think whether i should spend more on an iMac or Mac Pro.

Not really too clued up here...

Thanks for the help

No sure why you think any plugins wouldn't work. What have you read online that causes you to think there might be issues or stops you buy one because it is 2.0Ghz?

Are you reading about some plugins not working under Lion? If so, that was true but most plugins have now been updated to run under Lion.

If you are worried about the fact it has a 2.0Ghz processor... and that seems 'slow' to you? Remember this is a 2.0Ghz QUAD Core i7 with hyperthreading.. which effectively gives you 8 cores each running at 2.0Ghz... Like having 8 x 2.0Ghz computers all running at the same time.. In other words.. really fast compared to, say... a 3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo... which only has two cores.

Do all your plug ins work with no issues? Just the 2.0Ghz worries me from reading some posts online which stops me each time i look to click buy. It makes me think whether i should spend more on an iMac or Mac Pro.

Not really too clued up here...

Thanks for the help

mine doesn't have any issue using any 64 or 32-bits plug-ins.

I'm mainly using WAVES and it works smooth, no issues here.

Was readinng some links which said if plugins were not designed for taking advantage of quad core it would just see one core effectively at 2.0Ghz?!? They were sayin the 2.7Ghz Dual Core maybe better? Not sure how true that is? I mainly just want to use a Mac for Audio work and general home use, no games. If thats rubbish then im going to buy one today. Thanks for everyones help on this...

Yes. Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there... so to clarify;

If you are talking about using a plugin in Standalone mode (ie not within a DAW) then yes, it is up to the plugin to 'load balance' across the cores and most (all?) do not.

However, if you are using plugin within a DAW such as Logic for example... then it is up to the DAW itself to do the load balancing across the cores...

Do a quick search here for Logic and Cores to see how this works...

On the whole Logic does a pretty good job of load balancing though you have to follow a few basic rules/tips to fully optimize the use of all the available cores on your computer...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3161

..is a helpful support pages outlines some of the ways you can achieve this..

Logic could do better at 'sharing the load' automatically...for sure but it does a pretty good job and hopefully the next major version will do an even better job of this...

Finally, bear in mind a lot of Logic Users are people who own Macs with multiple cores and many have Quad Cores these days so from that you could glean there are not any real problems of note... otherwise we would all be bitchin! :)

Well i have to say ive done it and taken advantage of Apples 0% finance deal over 10months. Got a server on the way and will be upgrading to 8gb.

Thanks for everyones help with this it is been sooooo helpful to get some real insights and advice especially you Nigel as i think many have purchased a server off the back of your reviews / insights / advice (you dont work for apple do you?Lol) Will let you know how i get on :)

LOL.. No.. They (Apple) wouldn't have me.... I'm too critical of things they have done wrong in the past.... :D

The MMS however, is something I believe they got very right indeed, given the price and the specs!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions once you get it...

Cheers..

• 4 weeks later...
forgive the dumb question, Nigel, but why does the Mac Mini need to be a server? Why can't you just get a Mac Mini?

ds

The server version is sporting with higher end of CPU (i7 quad) & 2 of 500GB internal HDD as default configuration. Of course, the price is just right for workstation!

Yes.. absolutely right hw.... The MMS is much more powerful in terms of the processor onboard etc...

Quad Core (8 virtual core) i7 running at 2Ghz... in the Mac Mini Server..compared to a Duo Core 2.5Ghz i5/2.7Ghz i7 in the Mac Minis....

However, the MMS has standard Intel Graphics compared to the upper end MM which has a AMD Radeon HD 6630M built in...

For audio work then, the MMS is the better choice.... as enhanced Graphics are not that important... and the boost from the 8 virtual cores and the twin 7200rpm HDs are a real bonus...

Comparison Chart can be found here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Jonik,

However, again.. my MMS seems to run out of usable memory before it runs out of CPU doing what I do... (I'm thinking about upgrading my Logic MMS to 16 GB now.. if i can find a suitable set of mem chips for the right price..) but your experiences may differ depending on your use and method of recording in Logic.

I have recently tried noding it with my other MMS that i just purchased (without any tech issues I might add) but honestly, I haven't got to the point of pushing either of them hard enough to see what would happen. I'll probably get around to doing that with the next project or so, I am planning to do which will require, from what i understand... around 35+ instances of Kontakt along with quite a few FX plugins so it should be interesting, to see what noding it up does to take the load off the primary MMS. I'll post up my experiences here, when/if I get around to doing that...

Hope this helps...

Hi n6smith, First off big thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date about the MMS.

Two questions;

1. Where you able to upgrade to 16GB RAM and if so what price?

2. Can you explain more about noding with your other MMS?. I'm looking to upgrade to MMS from my 2010 '17 MBP, 2.8 duo core, 8GB RAM. I'm concerned if it will be fast enough so I'm wondering if noding helped

Thanks again

Anyone tried the baseline Mac Mini with a dual core i5?

I am coming from a Core 2 Duo iMac with 3.06GHz and would run about 32 tracks

at once. Recording about only 8 at a time.

I am getting something in the next week and could not decide between

a baseline mac mini or used Mac Pro Tower with 2 x 2.66 GHZ processors and

is from 2008. Just trying to figure out how much power these guys have.

Also I found a refurbished quad core iMac on apples site for $999. I am looking

for a space saver that will not kill me on losing any processing power for my Logic tracks.

• 1 month later...
Space for me isn't an issue but I want to replace a Mac Pro 1,1 which really is at the edge of what it can do. Granted I have a PC slave and can offload as much as I can there but there was something to be said for doing most work in one machine too. Kontakt loved to give the old MP lots of overloads when it hits the first note of a track...I guess it reorganized RAM? I've been nursing it along for some time but the Mini Server, although its clock speed is a bit slower, benchmarks much higher and I see from this thread that VI's are no problem on the server.

• 2 weeks later...