New 2011 Mac Mini Server & Logic 9 *UPDATED 9/26/11*

I'm using the MMS with 16 GB at home, with a external hard drive for sample libraries, UAD-2 Satellite and Motu 828 connected in series to the firewire 800 port.

This setup works like a dream. Better than my ugraded Mac Pro 2,66 8-core at the studio, so I'm selling that one and replacing it with another MMS. But first, I will test if it works with the RME Fireface 800 I have there.

The specs of a new Mac Pro don't justify the price compared to a MMS, I think, especially as I'm not that interested in the number of cores, but in the speed of a single core. This is important for latency and playing soft instruments thru multiple plugin inserts. Noise level is no issue, as the MMS will be located in another room.

BTW, I purchased these 2 x 8 GB memory modules for 180,- euros incl. VAT total at a dutch online seller. Working like a charm. The prices at Apple and OWC are just crazy.

Corsair - Memory - 8 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5 V - non-buffered - non-ECC

• 2 weeks later...
Would upgrading one of the drives to ssd be worth it for a music only workstation? I've been told no because of the way logic reads sample files negates the speed advantage of the ssd. Yes the Os and logic would load faster, but does logic read samples as sequential or random?

Would upgrading one of the drives to ssd be worth it for a music only workstation? I've been told no because of the way logic reads sample files negates the speed advantage of the ssd. Yes the Os and logic would load faster, but does logic read samples as sequential or random?

Not sure what "sequential or random" means. Do you mean Hard Drive or Random Access Memory (HD or RAM)? If that's what you mean, then Logic can use both, depending on your EXS24 settings: Configuring EXS24 mkII Virtual Memory.

SSDs are faster than HDDs, so it becomes a matter of what you're using the HD speed for - and whether or not you actually need the extra speed? The main advantage of SSDs is that they can make booting and loading times (for OS, applications and files) faster than traditional HDDs. Is it worth your money to cut down on the time it takes for a project to load in Logic (only you can answer that)?

Any particular reason why you feel the need to update to an SSD? What is driving that potential purchase?

I'm just getting ready to buy a new music computer. The advantages of the Mac mini server vs the iMac have been illuminating ( my original plan was to buy a high end iMac). In my continued research it was mentioned that ssd wouldn't be too much faster for logic bc logic processes aiff as sequential reads not random reads. I was just trying to confirm this. I will check out that link on virtual memory.

I'm in a situation where paying extra for an ssd isn't a concern. I'm just weighing it from an actual speed increase inside logic or ableton or traktor. Those are the main apps I run inside of my music Mac.

logic processes aiff as sequential reads not random reads.

I don't understand that statement. I've never heard of "sequential reads" or "random reads". There's only one way to access a HD, or a SSD. So I'm not sure what the person who made that statement meant, but in itself, it does not mean anything.

I'm in a situation where paying extra for an ssd isn't a concern. I'm just weighing it from an actual speed increase inside logic or ableton or traktor. Those are the main apps I run inside of my music Mac.

Speed of what though? Is Logic behaving slow for you now? :shock: If you mean loading speed, then yes, as I said, SSDs will definitely speed up computer booting time, application opening time, and project loading/sample loading times. If loading times are an issue for you, then the SSD will help.

I'm not too versed in it (why I'm asking questions) but there is a difference in performance between sequential reading, and random reading in both hdd and ssd.

Logic is slowing down/ having errors when I am moving a large amount of audio tracks at once during playback, and sometimes while adjusting plug-in parameters while playing. I keep my projects on the Lacie 7200 Rugged (connected via USB) so I assume having a second hd would help with this anyway, I just wish I could see an example of applicable performance between hdd and ssd.

loading wise it is fine.

I don't understand that statement. I've never heard of "sequential reads" or "random reads". There's only one way to access a HD, or a SSD. So I'm not sure what the person who made that statement meant, but in itself, it does not mean anything.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, that statement actually has at least some meaning: To the extent that your audio files are stored contiguously on disk, the bytes will be read sequentially and the throughput from a magnetic HD will be comparable to an SSD because the magnetic head will not have to seek from track to track. If, on the other hand, your audio files are fragmented, i.e. the bytes are not in sequence, then the advantages of the SSD will be more pronounced. Historically, the terms sequential and random access refer to the distinction between tape drives and computer memory. Tapes required seeking back and forth to find files but computer memory was able to access any location "at random" with no seeking. That's why they call it RAM (Random Access Memory). Properly speaking, a magnetic HD (MHD) is something of a hybrid -- it reads sequentially if the the bytes are on the same track but is capable of random access by moving the read heads across tracks.

There's no doubt that an SSD will boot and load programs way, way faster than an MHD, but it's certainly possible that it may not deliver as great an advantage with audio files.

FWIW, I'm about to purchase a mac mini server and dedicate it mostly for Logic. I'll probably go with MHD's to get more storage for my money, especially since I expect to leave the mini server booted up and have Logic running for long periods of time. Next time I buy a laptop, though, I'll almost certainly go for an SSD for faster boot up.

Cheers,

Mike

I don't understand that statement. (...) in itself, it does not mean anything.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, that statement actually has at least some meaning: To the extent that your audio files are stored contiguously on disk, the bytes will be read sequentially and the throughput from a magnetic HD will be comparable to an SSD because the magnetic head will not have to seek from track to track. If, on the other hand, your audio files are fragmented, i.e. the bytes are not in sequence, then the advantages of the SSD will be more pronounced.

Right. But AFAIK Logic has no influence on how the audio is written to or read from the HD. Logic does not process aiff as sequential reads or random reads, it just sends a request to your HD and your HD executes it.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am thinking of replacing my 2009 iMac with one of these, hope you don't mind a couple of questions!

1) Using a 3rd party DVD/CD burner, is it still possible to rip audio CDs directly from iTunes playlists?

2) Is the external DVD/CD burner slower than the internal one in my iMac?

3) I am currently using Snow Leopard. If I was to do a full restore of my data/apps from my current computer's Time Machine backup, would there be conflicts with Lion? From what I've read, these machines won't accept Snow Leopard. Also, given that the Mini doesn't even have a hard copy of the OS, how would I even do the Time Machine restore?

4) How difficult do you reckon it would be to switch out the HDDs if/when they fail (which is what I am facing with my iMac).

Thanks,

Glenn

4) How difficult do you reckon it would be to switch out the HDDs if/when they fail (which is what I am facing with my iMac).

There are detailed and nicely produced videos for mac mini server HD replacements at

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/mac-mini-aluminum-unibody-faq/how-to-upgrade-hard-drive-aluminum-unibody-mac-mini.html

They claim about 30 minutes for the job and categorize it as "difficult" -- from what I watched, that rating mostly means you need to have the right tools and be meticulous about removing, saving, and replacing lots of small screws and connectors.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Thanks. I had to get the 2011 manual from a 3rd party.

When setting up, I am going to be prompted to set up the server. I don't want the server, so, when prompted, how do I NOT do anything that will activate the server apps?

Again, thanks!

Glenn

Glenn,

I hope I haven't give the impression that I actually own or have used a Mac Mini server. I'm still waiting to see what changes Apple may make this year before buying one. As a software engineer, I can offer a couple of general thoughts that may be helpful:

1. Enabling the server functions is unlikely to steal performance from Logic Pro. Server code mostly sleeps until incoming network requests say "Hey! Dude! Wake up!"

2. In general it's safe to just say no to the prompts that seem server related during set up, and most importantly ...

3. Apple gives you 90 days of free telephone support. They tend to hire good techs, so I'd suggest getting them on the horn as soon as you unpack that puppy. Tell the tech how you're intending to use the system and let her guide you through the setup. It's what I'll be doing when I buy one.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks!

Glenn

PS, I've ordered from Amazon along with 8 gigs of RAM. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Everything I read about this machine seems to suit my purposes (Logic). Just have to get past the tribulations of setting up, reloading software, and re-authorizing plugins. I am wondering about the external DVD drive, though. Get the external Superdrive, or a 3rd party drive (about 1/2 price of the Apple).

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I got a mac mini running lion server, and apart from the noted problems with

Lion/mountain Lion lags and white screen (only on 32 bit) it' s been fine.

Just one question: I don't use/activate the server part, so should I use the sever 10.7.5 update or try using the client update?

Thanks.

Spot,

Use whatever Software Update puts up for you to update with... I don't use the server stuff either on one of mine and so long as you haven't run it once, Software Updates treats the MMS as it is running Lion/Mountain Lion and not the server versions...

• 2 years later...

First at all, hello to everyone here in this forum.

I do have some questions according to this subject. I was reading almost the whole postings here and there is a lot of very interesting commands. I just bought an Mac Mini Server 2011 ( Lion 10.7.2 ) and still have to learn a lot how everything is function. But i like it a lot straight away. The desktop and the whole menu handling.

Til now I was recording music with my iPad 3. generation and Auria. I got curious about Logic pro x and decided to get me an Mac Mini for my home recording. I have no idea really what is the Server version all about and if it has an use for the recording setup via Logic Pro X. I just got an very good offer so I bought it.

After my research I found out that I can't download the Logic app because of system requirements.

Could you here in this forum share your expirience and your ideas what should be the best ' TO DO ' in my situation and to get the most out of my setup.

Thanks to all in advance and waiting sincerely for answers.

culttree

First at all, hello to everyone here in this forum.

I do have some questions according to this subject. I was reading almost the whole postings here and there is a lot of very interesting commands. I just bought an Mac Mini Server 2011 ( Lion 10.7.2 ) and still have to learn a lot how everything is function. But i like it a lot straight away. The desktop and the whole menu handling.

Til now I was recording music with my iPad 3. generation and Auria. I got curious about Logic pro x and decided to get me an Mac Mini for my home recording. I have no idea really what is the Server version all about and if it has an use for the recording setup via Logic Pro X. I just got an very good offer so I bought it.

After my research I found out that I can't download the Logic app because of system requirements.

Could you here in this forum share your expirience and your ideas what should be the best ' TO DO ' in my situation and to get the most out of my setup.

Thanks to all in advance and waiting sincerely for answers.

culttree

for logic pro x you need a minimum of 'mountain lion' , which is 10.8. this is available to buy from the apple store. however, you could skip mountain lion and update to the latest osx - 'yosemite' (10.10), which wont cost a penny. you should be good to start with logic x on yosemite, although i'd defer to the experience of someone here who might know more than i

one huge advantage of the server edition is the ability to easily add a 2nd drive (if one is not there already). it is generally recommended standard practise to separate the various processes (be it audio, projects or samples) over various drives to experience better performance. the 2nd drive could be either a 7200hd (minimum speed), or, better still, an ssd. this model is pre-usb3, so the best option for speed will be a 2nd internal

ram can be upgraded to 16gb, so there's room to grow