Focusrite Saffire Mix Panning Issues [SOLVED]

In this particular session I'm using an empty project and was adding track by track. That's typically how I like to work.

When I open an empty project and add just one audio track, I make it mono with input 1 and Output 1-2 or Stereo Out, the problem still remains.

Is the virus percussion file a mono or stereo file?

I don't think it really matters what the file is because it's happening with every file, whether it's mono or stereo.

Shivermetimbers, I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what you're telling me to do. You are correct in saying that Mix Control is more for headphones, and I really don't use it at all. I have everything on it set to factory default.

I don't think it really matters what the file is because it's happening with every file, whether it's mono or stereo.

Yes it does. If the original file is stereo and left or right heavy, panning will make it worse.

If the file is mono, panning should be straightforward.

Can you make a screenshot of that track panned center, then left and then right?

I think the issue is stemming from the stereo out track, notice that the virus perc is solo and panned right. Then look at the stereo out track and notice that while more sound is coming from the right there is still some sound coming from the left side.

1614812209_Screenshot2012-06-24at7_11_39PM.png.3dd5b00ba7fd52e196b1b0d92c7a35ff.png

Just to clarify; the pan knob is essentially a volume knob - it doesn't actually "pan" anything in the stereo field per se, but adjusts the volume of the left and right channels. For a mono source (such as a single microphone) this makes no odds, and has the same effect as panning left and right through the stereo field, becuase the left and right channel are identical. If you use the pan knob on a stereo source (ie. anything that has different content in the left and right channel - stereo paired micophones, most software instruments, anything that has a stereo effect on it) then you are not moving it in the stereo field, but instead you are merely adjusting the level of the left or right channel.

The Direction Mixer plug-in moves the whole stereo image left or right, or even behind. Remember that the direction knob in the Direction Mixer doesn't work the same as the channel's pan knob, + or - 90 degrees is full right or left, respectively. If you go past the 90 degrees mark, you start to pan the sound to the "rear", and so will hear it in both speakers once more.

So, to recap, use the an knob for mono sources (left=right), and the Direction Mixer for stereo sources.

From your last screenshot, you also have signal coming from a mono drum reverb and parallel compression aux channels. this is why you have signal in the left channel of your stereo out.

The Direction Mixer plug-in moves the whole stereo image left or right, or even behind. Remember that the direction knob in the Direction Mixer doesn't work the same as the channel's pan knob, + or - 90 degrees is full right or left, respectively. If you go past the 90 degrees mark, you start to pan the sound to the "rear", and so will hear it in both speakers once more.

So, to recap, use the an knob for mono sources (left=right), and the Direction Mixer for stereo sources.

But, even when I use the direction mixer it just decreases the volume just as if I were to Pan. Even when I start a new session with only one track and record audio if I pan all the way right it has no sound at all.

How are you recording?

From the sounds of it, it seems as if you are recording a microphone to a stereo channel, which would leave you with signal only on the left side.

Are you recording with a single microphone?

If so, try this: create a new audio track in the arrange. Select "mono" from the new track dialogue. Don't add any plug-ins. Record something. Now play back what you recorded and move the pan knob. report back.

Also, click on the big pink box at the top of this page, read forum rule number 5 and get all your software and gear into your signature. It makes it much easier for people to help, so that they don't have to keep going back to the first posts to try and find out what you're using.

Just recorded a new track. No sends, no plug ins, nothing. The track is mono and set to input 1 with outputs 1-2 or Stereo.

What you'll notice in the screenshot attached is that the audio appears to only be coming out of the left side, except it's not. My speakers are playing it through both as if it was still centered. This happens with Direction Mixer as well. If I pan right the volume goes down instead of only coming through the right speaker.

When I bounce the audio file it is panned though. I'd just like to be able to hear it in logic so that I can mix better.

1042857829_Screenshot2012-06-24at9_00_46PM.png.1e705a34560b31491f94dab59b968cd7.png

I'm not sure. It's just there. This Mix Control is more for creating headphone mixes for live performance or recording I believe. I never even use it. This issue has just started happening in the last couple of days.

If I mute either of the two channels on the far right I get no sound out of Logic if that helps explain what they do.

The channel that says Daw 1 & 2 on it is the input. So Daw 1 comes from the left speaker and Daw 2 comes from the right speaker, at least it's supposed to. When I pan the tracks from left to right in the Mix Control it does the same as in logic. Left is still centered and right gets quieter.

The channel on the far right is the output. I have it set to Monitor 1 and Line 3 on the left while on the Right it's set to Monitor 2 and Line 4

I think the issue is stemming from the stereo out track, notice that the virus perc is solo and panned right. Then look at the stereo out track and notice that while more sound is coming from the right there is still some sound coming from the left side.

You have sound coming from the left because you're using 3 busses that go to the stereo bus and they are centered. Mute the busses and your left signal should disappear.

You have sound coming from the left because you're using 3 busses that go to the stereo bus and they are centered. Mute the busses and your left signal should disappear.

Just recorded a new track. No sends, no plug ins, nothing. The track is mono and set to input 1 with outputs 1-2 or Stereo... My speakers are playing it through both as if it was still centered. This happens with Direction Mixer as well. If I pan right the volume goes down instead of only coming through the right speaker.

When I bounce the audio file it is panned though. I'd just like to be able to hear it in logic so that I can mix better.

There were no busses in this project, same problem. When mitch117 listens to a bounce outside of Logic, it pans as expected (that's correct, right mitch?).