Logic Pro 9.1.8 released

SO here is a funny thing... I have never in my life experienced any kind of start up lag with logic - click on the icon and project startup wizard is up in mere seconds... Now after updating to 9.1.8 logic is bouncing on the dock not doing anything for about 2 minutes (which is an age if you ask me) and then it finally opens.

then after a chose a project from my templates it returns an error code (-10202) - selected driver not found - and then no audio drivers are available to select after that.

this is some BS why do I continually dissapoint myself by updating software! Can someone please tell me how to revert safely back to 9.1.7??

SO here is a funny thing... I have never in my life experienced any kind of start up lag with logic - click on the icon and project startup wizard is up in mere seconds... Now after updating to 9.1.8 logic is bouncing on the dock not doing anything for about 2 minutes (which is an age if you ask me) and then it finally opens.

then after a chose a project from my templates it returns an error code (-10202) - selected driver not found - and then no audio drivers are available to select after that.

this is some BS why do I continually dissapoint myself by updating software! Can someone please tell me how to revert safely back to 9.1.7??

you might try reinstalling and updating the app...that does not sound typical...

Ok here so far; tried single instances of:

EXS

PLAY

MACH5v2 (32bit bridge)

And one PLAY multitimbral (SD2). All seems to be fine. I wasn't experiencing the GUI lag but I'm still on SL.

May have spoken a bit too soon...seeing a strange bug or settings FUBAR that is messing with playhead/transport/meta events (detailed n another thread.

Other than that - working pretty well. Some note hang with PLAY stuff but I get the feeling some of this is interrelated and it might just be some deep-menu tickbox that I'm missing.

I was humming along swimmingly with the new update until my PLAY plugin wouldn't recognize my iLok.

After contacting East West, they told me there is a problem with 9.1.8 and the plug in.

I'm still in the process of communicating with East West tech support.

If anyone is interested I'll keep everyone posted.

I haven't gone through all of my plugins yet, but things seem to be in order.

The unresponsiveness bug that was supposed to be fixed in 9.1.8 is NOT fixed, and it seems to only come back after longer sessions. Hitting the spacebar to stop during playback still doesn't work for 2-6 seconds sometimes and clicking doesn't register properly either. Apple, wtf.

The unresponsiveness bug that was supposed to be fixed in 9.1.8 is NOT fixed, and it seems to only come back after longer sessions. Hitting the spacebar to stop during playback still doesn't work for 2-6 seconds sometimes and clicking doesn't register properly either. Apple, wtf.

It is most certainly fixed on my systems.

It seems that when using 9.1.8 in ML, Logic works just fine...

Last night I added Ozone 5, T-Rack's 3 and an analyzer to one track. Thats where things changed... took about 5-15 seconds for Logic to respond to the Space Bar... same goes for muting, plug in changes

I still had 15gb of RAM free out of 23gb! Is there a work around?

Had our audio guy try the "lag" issue on his ML system - same issue after 9.1.8 installed.

I can still work decently because of the nature of my sessions...but if I were trying precise stop/start, cuts, etc, there'd be no way. Also, markers and meta commands are useless. Back to v.8 for live playback sessions....

I recently bought a new mac pro and am suffering this exact problem,earlier it just wouldn't do anything for around a minute but everything else on the computer like finder,safari.....was working perfectly.I was going to force quit but thought i would try relaunching finder which seemed to do the trick.It only happens once in every session but my sessions haven't been very long due to work commitments.Once i get a full day on it i shall post how many times i encounter this problem.

Also i noticed when working on a snare earlier triggered through Native instruments battery 3 it sounded a lot like the timing of the snare was falling out of sync every now and then.Not sure if it was my ears playing tricks on me because i am tired after a long hard day.Anyone else experienced this?

Also i noticed when working on a snare earlier triggered through Native instruments battery 3 it sounded a lot like the timing of the snare was falling out of sync every now and then.Not sure if it was my ears playing tricks on me because i am tired after a long hard day.Anyone else experienced this?

I'm having this issue with Kontakt 4. Snare is out of sync.

+1 Pleo
amazed at how crappily the EQ draws after that. Wow. Take the level meter/chan EQ back off and watch it go fast again.

:? Guessing it would be very disturbing to those that, in essence, watch to take notice of changes, instead of being all ears :roll:

I have always noticed the lag between the scroll bar and what you hear, although a bit bothersome, it is reasonable, and inherently denotes the existence of latency :wink:

In any case, I'm pleased & satisfied with the latest revision... adaptations I can total live with it, even in the event there was never to be a LPX! :P

Ya know what, it has nothing to do with ears vs. eyes. Yes Logic works much better now thanks to this update, however I want my programs to be fast and responsive. Cubase under XP and Windows 7 runs circles around Logic in terms of frame-rate.

It's just blatantly obvious that Apple spent so much time getting their iOS devices smooth, fluid, and glassy. You know why that is? Steve Jobs was a micro-managing perfectionist when it came to that.. But obviously, he didn't use Logic and probably never gave it the same scrutiny. Or it was too much work to revamp the emagic code. I HOPE logic X has a graphical re-write.

The more you zoom in the more stuttery and erratic the transport bar moves, Why can't they make a simple bar draw across the screen in a fluid fashion. it's s#!+ like that.

+1

i've recently upgraded to snow leopard form leopard and i'm very happy about the logic dispaly refresh rate, it's way faster than in leopard, don't know if it's because of logic 9.1.7 from 9.1.5, or because of snow leopard, but i'm currently very happy as it is right now.

Now you tell me they have reverted back to the crappy slow refresh like it was in leopard ? no thanks.

By the way i will update and have a look, if it's like you have said i'll keep working with 9.1.7, i do not even know what the hell airplay is and i have not any bug so far in 32 bit, but i have some on the 64bit one, and there are no mentions about improvements on the 64 bit version, so useless update, at least for me.

Check and reinstall any drivers for your audio and midi stuff.. I've seen that error when a client had out of date Digidesign drivers installed. He removed them and the issue went away... but it could apply to any midi or audio drivers..

the crappy digidesign core audio drivers.. ahahah

always problem with those since ages, even before core audio they was crappy.

My strange experience. I added the quartet about 5 days ago and I haven't quit logic since. Yesterday turned off the imac. All of a sudden I have a 2-3 min lag opening logic. The only difference was the addition of the quartet. I ran a cleaner and tried a number of things. It was annoying. Came here, as this is the best place to find solutions to anything logic. I saw an update, I did the update and everything is back to normal.

Strange but I'm not complaining.

Yeah, the lag/unresponsiveness is becoming a major drag. Since Apple still hasn't managed to stomp out the most annoying bug I have ever experienced in Logic, I am currently trying out Studio One. Awesome workflow! You can tell straight away that it's a modern program/ fresh code. Instant response, drag and drop, you can have several songs open at the same time. Seems very promising. In comparison Logic seems bloated and sluggish. To me it stands between Studio One and ProTools at this point. Edited by Muuseec

I cannot understand how so many people can be having a lag problem.. The only one I hd was once the app had loaded, but the 9.1.8 completely resolved that for me on both my systems. One is an old 8 core 2.8 MacPro from jan 08 and the other, a mid 2012 MacBook Pro .. The latter btw appears to out gun the former, tho I'm heavily invested in pcie and other peripherals.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know why so many seem to be having issues, or aren't we hearing the success stories?

And yet the lag/unresponsiveness persists. I have reinstalled and so on without any improvement. Ok, the startup lag disappeared with 9.1.8 but that never bothered me anyway since it only showed up on startup. I am using the exact same plugins in Studio One. Works like a charm. Also, the Melodyne integration is amazing! Apple's habit of never stating intentions is also creating uncertainty. I have spoken with several producers thinking about moving to other DAWs since the bug is still evident and noone really knows what path Apple is treading. Edited by Muuseec

Maybe "lag" is the wrong term. I am referring to the unresponsiveness bug that supposedly was fixed in 9.1.8. When I am working with Logic every now and then suddenly the GUI becomes unresponsive or becomes very sluggish. When I click something it doesn't respond or there is a significant lag before anything happens. The bug is still there for me and lots of others. :(

Come to think of it - might it be a problem related to MacPro? All the people I've talked to lately having the problem have MacPros. A friend of mine has both a MacPro and a Retina Macbook Pro 15" and he only experiences the unresponsiveness on the MacPro. Hmmmmmmm... :|

Anyway, it would be interesting to know why so many seem to be having issues, or aren't we hearing the success stories?

As is usual, only those who have this issue, are actually commenting about it... Those that don't.. don't feel a need to post up about it!

But, based on my own client list and those i regularly communicate with...

I am seeing a figure of just over 1% with this issue... (The 'button press' lag issue... not the GUI redraw issue which seems to affect most if not all people)

I doubt the number of Users with the 'Button press' delay issue.. goes much about 3-5% of all users in the real world... but that's only a guess based on my own experiences with my client list

Of those that i have dealt directly with..that had this issue... (initially there were 3 and maybe 4..) only one continues to have this issue as of Nov 12th 2012, after updating to 9.1.8 and/or removing certain apps/plugins from their systems.

The one who still has the issue is running a 2009 MBP... I have two other clients who have identical MBPs and neither of them have the issue.

So, FWIW, that is what i am seeing.....