Logic Pro 9.1.8 released

Of those that i have dealt directly with..that had this issue... (initially there were 3 and maybe 4..) only one continues to have this issue as of Nov 12th 2012, after updating to 9.1.8 and/or removing certain apps/plugins from their systems.

Just out of curiosity. What apps/plugins are you referring to?

I am asking because I am totally prepared to ditch whatever app/plugin that might be causing this. I just wanna work without interruption. I recently ditched IK Multimedia T-Racks Deluxe because of serious problems with Logic. Annoying when you've paid for something that doesn't live up to your standards but ultimately I just want to get things done with the least amount of hassle and I do have loads of other plugins that gets the work done without any problems. I like Logic and want to stay with it but unless this problem gets solved soon, I gotta move on.

The following thread is where i discussed some of the causes i found...

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=90447#p469885

I should also add that I have read about others using the same SS plugin and others by the same company.. that noted similar issues.. I believe some recent updates to the SS plugins fixed some of the issues for a few people but not all.

Also, there have been a few plugins reported, that use the jVSTwRapper (which is a wrapper for VST plugins to convert them to AU.. that uses Java) that have caused similar issues. In this case, only removing and/or not using the plugins resolved the issues..

More info on jVSTwRapper can be found here

http://jvstwrapper.sourceforge.net

Other forms of VST to AU 'wrappers' are also suspected to cause similar issues but as yet i have not confirmed any other one specifically... and some makers of AU plugins do not wish to reveal they have simply 'wrapped' a VST version to make it work as an AU. However, one sign that may be the case, is if you must install the VST version as well as the AU version when installing.. as the AU wrapped version requires the VST version to be installed, in order to work correctly.

HTH..

The redraw issue is a real bummer for me.

I use my ears quite a lot; but having said that, I also depend on the multimeter's goniometer to give me reliable visible feedback. That just isn't possible at all in this new version. I own the NuGen Visualizer plugin, which is a great plugin, but it's goniometer isn't nearly as comfortable (to me, and my workflow) as Logic's own multimeter.

I'm sad.

:(

I still am suffering lag,it is really only happening when i add plugs or drag audio into the arrange when the arrangement is playing so really it is a bug i can work with.Probably shouldn't be adding stuff on the fly anyway.

The lag itself only happens probably once in a session and isn't making logic a pain to work with so.......

There is definitely a midi timing issue with certain plugs,my access virus ti loses timing when using the appegiator.Every now and then the appegiator won't start where it should,again only happens here and there.Native instruments battery and kontakt 5 have had some weird timing issues also where samples will not be hitting where they should but again it is not a very consistent bug but is definitely happening.

Also i suffered a bug in 9.1.6 with the flex time editor,i will give an example to try and best describe it.I could set an audio file on a track with the flex time set to something like mono.I will shut the project down for the night and re open it for some more work but the timing of the flex tracks will be all over the place.The fix would be to turn flex off and then back on for that track to clear the problem.

I was hoping with 9.1.8 this would be sorted but suffered the same bug on my last session.Might not sound bad like that but i heavily use the flex editor so if i have a project with a lot of flexed tracks then you can imagine having to do it over and over and over.....

9.1.6 on snow leopard was definitely more stable for me but as i said they are all little bugs that can be dealt with by just adjusting the way i work so i'm not moaning.Logic is still the muts nuts in my opinion.

Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place,very very rough day!!!

Who knows when, or if, they're fixing the bug. I always believed the thing about "Apple makes both the hardware and the software so you get a total package that just works", but not so much right now. Apple moves in mysterious ways.

Another bummer is that right after I bought Autosampler from Redmatica (which is great), I was going to purchase their (also excellent) EXS Manager. But just then - Apple purchased Redmatica, closed their website and withdrew all software from the Appstore. And that's all she wrote. Thanks. :roll:

Did you know that they removed the restriction that only allows one copy of logic to run per network? Well they did. Now I can run logic on the laptop and the studio.

I believe this was done at the time of the App Store release as you can also now install Logic on any number of computers you own via the purchased tab in the App Store App... using your original Apple ID and Password that was used to buy Logic... There is some wording in the original L9 license agreement that seems to limit the number of copies to two... but according to the App Store Rules, this is no longer a limitation either... and according to Apple, this restriction has been removed even though they have not updated the original license agreement.

MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

Except as otherwise set forth herein,

(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and use an application from the Mac App Store (“Mac App Store Product”) for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use a Mac App Store Product on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use a Mac App Store Product on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each Mac Computer used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) Use may require sign-in with the Apple ID used to download the Mac App Store Product from the Mac App Store. Mac App Store Products can be updated through the Mac App Store only.

However, the latest Mac App Store agreement does NOT provide for you to use Apps 'serially'. I.E to use an App at the same time on one computer as on another... though the 'Usage' rules as quoted from above, seem to conflict with this.. and do allow you to run any given App at the same time. "i.e. serially!

a. Scope of License: This license granted to you for the Licensed Application by Licensor is limited to a nontransferable license to use the Licensed Application on any Apple-branded products running iOS (including but not limited to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch) (“iOS Devices”) or Mac OS X (“Mac Computers”), as applicable (collectively, “Apple Device(s)”) that you own or control and as permitted by the usage rules set forth in the Mac App Store, App Store and iBookstore Terms and Conditions (the “Usage Rules”). This license does not allow you to use the Licensed Application on any Apple Device that you do not own or control, and except as provided in the Usage Rules, you may not distribute or make the Licensed Application available over a network where it could be used by multiple devices at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, transfer redistribute, or sublicense the Licensed Application and, if you sell your Mac Computer or iOS Device to a third party, you must remove the Licensed Application from the Mac Computer or iOS Device before doing so. You may not copy (except as expressly permitted by this license and the Usage Rules), decompile, reverse-engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, modify, or create derivative works of the Licensed Application, any updates, or any part thereof (except as and only to the extent that any foregoing restriction is prohibited by applicable law or to the extent as may be permitted by the licensing terms governing use of any open-sourced components included with the Licensed Application). Any attempt to do so is a violation of the rights of the Licensor and its licensors. If you breach this restriction, you may be subject to prosecution and damages.

As always, check with Apple yourself if you wish to use multiple copies of an App on separate computers you own, but according to Apple Support, when I asked on two different occasions, I was legally allowed to download and run Logic on all of my five systems, without restrictions...

The full updated Terms and Conditions (as of Sept 30th 2012) can be found here...

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#APPS

I had a lot of problems with Logic 9.1.8 on a large sequence.... computer was stopping in many occasion saying basically the CPU wasn't able to do it (I don't remenber th exact message).

SO, as usual in those cases, I came back to Logic 9.1.7... and everything is fine again!

I guess Logic 9.1.8 has a small problem of CPU consumption!

Anyone else has this problem?

-I'am running MacOS 10.6.8 on a macbook pro 2.2Ghz and 2G of Ram-

I had a lot of problems with Logic 9.1.8 on a large sequence.... computer was stopping in many occasion saying basically the CPU wasn't able to do it (I don't remenber th exact message).

SO, as usual in those cases, I came back to Logic 9.1.7... and everything is fine again!

I guess Logic 9.1.8 has a small problem of CPU consumption!

Anyone else has this problem?

-I'am running MacOS 10.6.8 on a macbook pro 2.2Ghz and 2G of Ram-

my understanding is that 9.1.8 is optimized for Lion+

9.1.7 + 10.6.8 is probable as stable as you can get at this point. don't fix it if it ain't broke.

A friend of mine just bought a new i7 Mac Mini with ML installed. To his disappointment, he noticed some serious visual lag in Logic 9.1.8. From his description I understood that the problem occured with channel strip level meters, rather than eq analyzer. Is this known issue and is there a fix for it? He has reinstalled Logic and the problem remains before and after installing Logic updates.

Twister,

At this time, no... and as yet, no one fully understands what causes this issue for a few people.. as most people do not have this issue.

We are waiting upon a second update from Apple that will hopefully fix this for everyone...

Fingers crossed.. it won't be too long..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here with east west/play (Symphonic Orchestra gold)

I have this response from EW.

HI,

1. does play function correctly in standalone mode ?

2. what version of Logic are you using ?

3. we recently discovered users on the logic 9.1.8 update

are experiencing what you have described

4. our programmers are working on a solution, but have not yet

specified a time of completion

5. the only successful workaround at this time is to revert back to Logic 9.1.7

we apologize for this inconvenience and thank you

Same verbatim cut and paste response from East West here today also.

Terry, what are your thoughts on reverting to 9.1.7? I am weary of this because of the amount of work I've done since October, and because, quite frankly, I can probably use other suitable libraries for finishing at least three projects.

I don't have the means to revert back easily either (as my back up disk recently filled up an reformatted). Your thoughts and suggestions are most appreciated. I've been with EW products a long time, and can never quite tell when it is truly an Apple introduced problem, or where EW is hedging. At any rate, the time table for fixes has often been slow. It's frustrating when libraries I've used for years are rendered unusable.

Cheers,

gpax

Yes I hear you. Frustrating indeed. I always have a copy of the older Logic APP on my system in case things go wrong like this so I am coved in emergencies. I had to roll back as all kinds of odd issues started cropping up. I think the last thing to happen was all of my East West libraries INSIDE Kontakt turned into DEMOs again. I had to authorize them each time I'd start a session. Then SD2 started outputing in MONO only and required reauthorization.

As far as what exactly is causing the issue, Apple, something with iLok, etc I just don't know. I hope it's not an iLok issue.

[edit] actually I did not roll back to .17 (I skipped that verso) I rolled back to .16 which has an odd issue of allowing only so many FADES before Logic stops taking fades. (darned if you do - darned if ya don't!)

I hope your able to work through your issues.

Thanks Terry - We go back on the EW forum as I recall, though I seldom frequent there these days. If anything, just to commiserate has been cathartic. As always, you are very kind to take the time to respond.

You'd think I would have learned the lesson of keeping a prior version of Logic on hand, as I did for many years. For now, no other PLAY libraries seem to be affected; only the EWQLSO (knock on wood). Oddly, this began with warnings a couple of months ago, and while curious, the patches would load anyway. Now only the woodwinds are recognized...

Truth be told, my use of EWQLSO has decreased with the advent of other options in the last two years. Still, I want it to work when I need it, as was the case today. So frustrating. Anyway, I'm not inclined to roll back Logic to secure EWQLSO functionality, and also because of my own list of prior issues with Logic that have otherwise been made stable.

I'm curious about your EW stuff inside of Kontakt. A few years ago, I "converted" my old EWSO percussion (and the original Storm Drum Intakt and Kompakt) to appear as custom Kontakt Libraries (with custom art I created). While I guess this is somehow still tied to an original authorization on my iloks, it still works fine (though you have to manually choose individual C F S options). I had planned to attempt this with the rest of the orchestra, but never got around to it.

Great seeing you are still working!

Gpax

• 2 months later...

Hate to revive an old thread, but I guess it's better than starting a new one ;)

Just started having iLok issues with EastWest today. Realized I am running Logic 9.1.8 and OS 10.8.2. Funny thing is that I wasn't having any issues yesterday - but I also had Logic open all day. Upon opening the project this morning, Play starts going crazy with the authorization issues - but only on certain instances (i.e., Strings works just fine, Brass has the license problem).

Can anyone point me to a 9.1.7 version of Logic or tell me how to do the rollback?

Thanks!

EDIT: Found it :)