Logic to Pro Tools

mmb

Ok this is not to ask "how do i get my project from Logic into Pro Tools" but more so how to do it properly (with a specific problem that ive searched here+google for but no real straight answer)

Basically, I export all my instrument tracks (the only tracks in the project) as a 24-bit WAV with effects into a folder, and load them up into Pro Tools. Now when I play from Logic everything sounds good, but when I play from Pro Tools the sound is distorted (an undesirable crunchiness). Not with individual tracks though, only when all (or certain) tracks play at once.

Now before I Export All Tracks from Logic I made sure none of the tracks are peaking into the red, and also making sure my Output track isn't peaking into the red either by adjusting the Master until the Output track is not peaking.

To be honest, faders, dB's, Master/Output, etc. is my weakest part in production and I do plan on going to school to take some classes on this stuff but for now I'm stuck with google and you guys :lol: So I appreciate any help especially with my lack of knowledge on all this

edit: More info: I think it sounds more specifically like clipping, except everything is in the green.

Ok so I sort of fixed it but am still looking for better answer? All I did was lower all the faders down in Pro Tools, and the distortion/clipping is gone. Idk im pretty confused right now. Not looking for Pro Tools specific answers but more just a, "whats happening" answer, if anyone has any ideas :idea:

Hmm? :shock:

Yep i sometimes have a hard time explaining things

Is it possible you are Normalising when you Export? This could be raising the level of all the audio files so they add up to a level that causes distortion

I do "Overload Protection Only"

I will try with normalizing completely off tomorrow when i get some time

Like i said, i just lowered the faders in Pro Tools and it seems to be fine now. But im not sure..

This is not unusual behaviour.

Your tracks are overloading Protool's mix buss when they are summed, so reducing their levels is the correct procedure.

Alternatively you could consider exporting your tracks from Logic at a lower level.

Logic is more forgiving because it uses 32-bit floating point summing, whereas Protools' use of floating point is dependent on the version you are using.

Google "protools floating point" for more info.

Now before I Export All Tracks from Logic I made sure none of the tracks are peaking into the red, and also making sure my Output track isn't peaking into the red either by adjusting the Master until the Output track is not peaking.

Do the same thing in Pro Tools and it should fix your problem. I'm assuming that if you're using Pro Tools, you know how to create a Master Track right?

Turn Normalize completely off in the bounce, overload protection has a similar effect to normalize, so don't use it.

I will try but for now ive completely messed up the balance of my mix when I was trying to work around this last night. Idk why i was so stupid i could have gone about it differently but it is what it is.

This is not unusual behaviour.

Your tracks are overloading Protool's mix buss when they are summed, so reducing their levels is the correct procedure.

Alternatively you could consider exporting your tracks from Logic at a lower level.

Logic is more forgiving because it uses 32-bit floating point summing, whereas Protools' use of floating point is dependent on the version you are using.

Google "protools floating point" for more info.

I think this is what ill go with because you;re right, Logic is 32-bit and my Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 is 24-bit. I know ive read a bit (pun intended) about this difference before but wasn't sure what it all meant.

Maybe the reason I missed this is because there seems to be a bug witth my version of Pro Tools where the Master fader will never go into the red! It will hit the "ceiling" on the fader but will never show red where as all my other tracks will.

Do you have any effects on the master bus?

it happened to me once where I had a compressor and adaptive limiter on the MB for quick mix/bounce but forgot to remove it when exporting for mixing.

Just a guess.

Do you mean the Output fader? See this is where I really need to learn and take some classes on because all this master bus, master fader, etc. is just beyond me. All ive ever done (in Pro Tools) is mix all my tracks, make sure nothings peaking, create a Master Track, put a limiter on there, adjust to taste, and bounce. Thats always been it for me because it gets me to where I need to be (for now). But for what its worth i do not have any limiting on the Output (well i do but its bypassed)

Do the same thing in Pro Tools and it should fix your problem. I'm assuming that if you're using Pro Tools, you know how to create a Master Track right?

Yes I always have a Master Track in my template by default that i use, and this is what i ended up doing to fix my problem as well, just bringing down all the tracks till the distortion went away/master fader stopped clipping.

Thank you everyone, the help is more than really appreciated :lol: