LPX - Features that were REMOVED

EdgarRothermich

Does this mean that you can't put a blank region on the output track?? That was extremely handy for instantly setting up bounce zones as I bounced out new mixes for clients and for works in progress. I'll hate it if that's gone. :x

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just use the loop locators for that? That's what I always do.

I know you can do this with the loop indicators but I like doing it this way because, for a song who's duration is set (most of the stuff I do with my clients) I can set it up once and it's done. Very handy for when I'm repeatedly doing new versions of a work in progress or for a client - I just click on that "bounce region" and boom, the in and out points for the bounce are instantly set. Plus, I always have a few bars empty at the top of the song so one of the standard ways of setting up the bounce doesn't work for me.

Global Tracks: Transposition

Global Tracks: Video

.....It's hard to distinguish notes, bar lines, and divisions with the new dark color scheme.

...cover ears:......WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA........uncover ears. Readability is my personal frustration.

So at this point shouldn't someone add "Create Track with Next MIDI Channel" into the "removed features" list? At first it sounded like this feature was there but bugged, but the last I read, the feature that is present is "Create Track with Next Channel", not the same thing. So doesn't it now seem like Apple deliberately left this capability out? (A decision which is very likely going to keep me from upgrading.)

Interesting... I've never used "Create Track with Next MIDI Channel". What do you use if for?

And, this makes me wonder, is "New With Same Channel Strip / Instrument" still there? That's a HUGE one for me.

The ability to use fades on regions that had flex on them. Fades now immediately disable when flex is enabled.

No wonder they removed that. They where never meant to be used together. That's why it always gave buggy results.

J.

Wait, WHAT?

I use flex & fade together all the time. Sometimes I get the clicks (and with a 2013-style vocal chain these clicks can be ear-shattering since they evade almost any compressor, but not its gain stage). In later versions the clicks have become less frequent or simply a buffer issue (i.e only when playback starts right before the fade).

The customer-friendly way to go would be to fix this issue (along with better algorithms for flextime, e.g compared to Celemony algorithms they are a joke). But instead they just removed it altogether? Like a slap in the face.

I always try to leave flextime on into the final mix since, thanks to the horrible algorithm, printing a flex'ed track can mean permanent damage. And if I cannot fade with flex on, I suppose this is the only option?

Balls.

Interesting... I've never used "Create Track with Next MIDI Channel". What do you use if for?

Setting up multi timbral instruments. Adding new tracks for other MIDI channels.

And, this makes me wonder, is "New With Same Channel Strip / Instrument" still there? That's a HUGE one for me.

Yes. It's renamed New With Same Channel.

So at this point shouldn't someone add "Create Track with Next MIDI Channel" into the "removed features" list? At first it sounded like this feature was there but bugged, but the last I read, the feature that is present is "Create Track with Next Channel", not the same thing. So doesn't it now seem like Apple deliberately left this capability out? (A decision which is very likely going to keep me from upgrading.)

I did in the 2nd post of the thread although I wrote "New Track..."

I spent a good portion of yesterday trying figure out how they intend for users to deal with multitimbral instruments. The cleanest way I have found is to use the Instrument Track + Aux tracks method. There's no easy way to use the same instrument track with different MIDI channels though it is possible by digging into the environment.

Setting up multi timbral instruments. Adding new tracks for other MIDI channels.

Ah. I've just been using the standard New Track command once I've set up the first MIDI channel of a Multi timbral Instrument. It seems to advance through them just fine.

Yes. It's renamed New With Same Channel.

Whew!! That's great news. Plus, it will make typing out that command here on LPH much easier. :lol:

Ah. I've just been using the standard New Track command once I've set up the first MIDI channel of a Multi timbral Instrument. It seems to advance through them just fine.

Are you sure that your additional tracks are actually using the same instance of the multi-timbral synth, vs. instantiating a new one for each channel? I'm not aware of any way to do what you've described and having it re-use a single synth instance.

Has anyone found a viable workaround for "Create Track with Next MIDI Channel"? I can't work in X without it.

I know you can designate how many multi-timbral parts you want before opening a new software instrument but I'm often not sure how many I'll need in a particular multi when I'm starting a new project. I bought X yesterday but I'm staying in 9 until I can figure this one out.

CREATE EMPTY MIDI REGION is not available on audio tracks anymore, which is a shame. It was pretty handy for some things.

I agree but it is understandable.

An addition to this behaviour is that you now get prompted to import an audio file if you click with the Pencil Tool.

Well, at least you can put MIDI regions there and do crazy things with Hyp...I mean...MIDI Draw. :D

J.

Are you sure that your additional tracks are actually using the same instance of the multi-timbral synth, vs. instantiating a new one for each channel? I'm not aware of any way to do what you've described and having it re-use a single synth instance.

Absolutely sure!

My workflow for this, which may seem slow but for me is fast:

Instantiate Multitimbral instrument in Arrange

In environment, Cable Multi-Instrument to that channel strip

Give the Multi Instrument a name so it will show up in Arrange Track list

Back in the Arrange, select the Multi timbral track and Create New With Same Channels Strip / Instrument (Or New with Same Channel in Logic X speak)

Reassign the new strip via track header menu to MIDI channel 2

Now, with the MIDI channel 2 selected, use the key command New With Next Channel strip and the rest of the MIDI channels willl pop into view. With the key command, this takes seconds. I also have a Multi-instrument object ready-made in my environment so that I can quickly cable it up. If I'm going to need a few, I just Option-drag them to create new ones before cabling them.

My workflow for this, which may seem slow but for me is fast:

Instantiate Multitimbral instrument in Arrange

In environment, Cable Multi-Instrument to that channel strip

Give the Multi Instrument a name so it will show up in Arrange Track list

Back in the Arrange, select the Multi timbral track and Create New With Same Channels Strip / Instrument (Or New with Same Channel in Logic X speak)

Reassign the new strip via track header menu to MIDI channel 2

Now, with the MIDI channel 2 selected, use the key command New With Next Channel strip and the rest of the MIDI channels willl pop into view. With the key command, this takes seconds. I also have a Multi-instrument object ready-made in my environment so that I can quickly cable it up. If I'm going to need a few, I just Option-drag them to create new ones before cabling them.

Yikes, to me that does seem like a whole lot of work, and I'm pretty sure I don't actually understand several of those steps. I'm also wondering if this means you need to know in advance how many multi-timbral channels you will need (since you say "the rest of the MIDI channels (plural) will pop into view"). I never know that, and I dislike having a bunch of empty channels cluttering up my Arrange view or mixer.

Anyway, I'm glad it works for you, but I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing in LP9. :D Hopefully one day LX will add something reasonable for this situation and I can upgrade then.

Does this mean that you can't put a blank region on the output track?? That was extremely handy for instantly setting up bounce zones as I bounced out new mixes for clients and for works in progress. I'll hate it if that's gone. :x

What makes it understandable that you can't create blank regions on tracks?

Try setting a bounce zone with cycle mode instead. If you want to bounce from bar 6 through 15, make that your cycle range, activate cycle mode and it will only bounce the audio/midi within that range.

Yikes, to me that does seem like a whole lot of work, and I'm pretty sure I don't actually understand several of those steps. I'm also wondering if this means you need to know in advance how many multi-timbral channels you will need (since you say "the rest of the MIDI channels (plural) will pop into view"). I never know that, and I dislike having a bunch of empty channels cluttering up my Arrange view or mixer.

The Multi-instrument in my environment (and in my template) already has all it's buttons clicked. So, after you cable it up, you can use as many or as few midi channels as you want back in the Arrange. Really, after instantiating Kontakt or whatever, this takes me half a minute, tops. :)

Here's one:

In the general preferences, choose the "create new new project using default template" as the startup action. And then set your default template in the field below.

Now when you launch Logic X, it will start with your default template, as expected. But when Logic is already open, you used to be able (in L9 and earlier) to click Command N and get a new project created based on the default template. Now, the revised behavior is that Command N is assigned to "New from template" but will bring up the Project chooser instead of the actual selected template. And now there is another separate command called "New". And that seems to create an empty project regardless of the preference setting.

So, there seems to be no way to, once Logic is already launched, call up a new default template by key command.

I used to love doing this. I had a template setup with a nice grand piano as the selected track. So, if I wanted a "scratch pad" to do some temporary noodling around on, I would just hit Command N, and then escape to cancel the save box, and have a piano ready to start playing instantly.

Am I missing something?