LPX - Features that were REMOVED

EdgarRothermich

Has anyone found a viable workaround for "Create Track with Next MIDI Channel"? I can't work in X without it.

I know you can designate how many multi-timbral parts you want before opening a new software instrument but I'm often not sure how many I'll need in a particular multi when I'm starting a new project. I bought X yesterday but I'm staying in 9 until I can figure this one out.

Finally! :D

I've just found a way to work with multi-midi/multi-timbral instruments in Logic Pro X!!! (without entering in that old skin environment) 8)

It's even better than before because is more logical but not faster than the old new track with the next MIDI channel .

Create your instrument track as always.

Load your instrument as multi (even if you are not going to use multi-timbral parts).

Go to Mixer and clic on "+" symbol in order to add AUX channels associated to the multi-instruments already created.

The new feature is these channels are MIDI also, not only Audio bus.

So right clic in that Mixer Aux Channel and select create track (ctrl+T). This creates a new track in main view with next midi channel.

Now is possible to have a main track with the multi-instrument loaded. We can select the AUX track created in main view from mixer. And then do your performing or paste the midi region to this track and it will send midi info to the correct midi part of this multi-instrument and the audio will go to the main part of the multi-timbral instrument or to its own AUX channel if you have selected the correct output in the multi-instrument.

I hope this could help to the people was working with multi-instruments without creating multi-channel items in the environment.

:)

Have you fully explored the track stacks feature yet? Just saying that they have considerably improved the quirky way logic has handled the multi-instruments. While not perfect yet, all of this environment cabling hassle isn't really needed anymore. You just basically go to track > new and check multi-timbral and that's it.

lol

While it may be easy to install with just flipping a digit, they have made some important updates in ML with regard to graphical response which may or may not be important to the functioning of Logic X, which is what I meant by glitches

lol

I understand what you mean by glitches, and I was expecting those in abundance, but I haven't seen any so far, and a few of my old LP 9 projects opened and played just fine. I'll now try an EQ with hi-res analyzer, the notorious lag-inducing plugin, and see what that does...

OK, quickly inserted three of 'm, all three visible, hires analyzer - LPX still snappy, immediate respons to keycommands.

Yeah the whole thing is faster, it responds like it should. The guy who said this is just Logic 9 with new features and a skin is on crack.

lol

I've just found a way to work with multi-midi/multi-timbral instruments in Logic Pro X!!! (without entering in that old skin environment) 8)

It's even better than before because is more logical but not faster than the old new track with the next MIDI channel .

Load your instrument as multi (even if you are not going to use multi-timbral parts).

Go to Mixer and clic on "+" symbol in order to add AUX channels associated to the multi-instruments already created.

So right clic in that Mixer Aux Channel and select create track (ctrl+T). This creates a new track in main view with next midi channel.

Now is possible to have a main track with the multi-instrument loaded. We can select the AUX track created in main view from mixer. And then do your performing or paste the midi region to this track and it will send midi info to the correct midi part of this multi-instrument and the audio will go to the main part of the multi-timbral instrument or to its own AUX channel if you have selected the correct output in the multi-instrument.

Have you fully explored the track stacks feature yet? Just saying that they have considerably improved the quirky way logic has handled the multi-instruments. While not perfect yet, all of this environment cabling hassle isn't really needed anymore. You just basically go to track > new and check multi-timbral and that's it.

Some of this is encouraging, but I'm still confused about some things. To lologic: didn't I read elsewhere that checking multi-timbral in the Track > New dialog also requires you to pre-specify the number of multi-timbral tracks you will need? If true, this is a problem if you don't know that information in advance (as I never do), and if you don't want a bunch of empty tracks cluttering up your arrangement.

Now, to Morphido: am I understanding that you are specifying a multi instrument as lologic suggests, but with just a single track when you do the original creation? And that thereafter you use the (+) button on the mixer to add another Aux output (just like you would in LP9), but that then you can select the created AUX track and generate an Arrange track for it that automagically grabs the next MIDI channel for the same multi-timbral instrument instance?

If that's an accurate recounting of your method, then I agree that's not too bad of a workflow for my needs, and based upon that I could probably be persuaded to buy LPX and start experimenting with that technique myself. So please let me know, thanks!

I spent a good portion of yesterday trying figure out how they intend for users to deal with multitimbral instruments. The cleanest way I have found is to use the Instrument Track + Aux tracks method. There's no easy way to use the same instrument track with different MIDI channels though it is possible by digging into the environment.

This must be why they had to make all of those really important workflow improvements like disabling a plug-in with no modifier key, to make up for how long many pro users will spend on this workaround.

Edited by stephentrask

the escape key no longer seems to open the tools.

Works here (but I'm still using the my old key commands). Try pressing the "T" key. If not look for the "Show Tool Menu" command in the key commands window.

J.

Thanks, T did the trick, and a new assignment makes it like it's been since... say 20 years :?

Yikes, to me that does seem like a whole lot of work, and I'm pretty sure I don't actually understand several of those steps. I'm also wondering if this means you need to know in advance how many multi-timbral channels you will need (since you say "the rest of the MIDI channels (plural) will pop into view"). I never know that, and I dislike having a bunch of empty channels cluttering up my Arrange view or mixer.

The Multi-instrument in my environment (and in my template) already has all it's buttons clicked. So, after you cable it up, you can use as many or as few midi channels as you want back in the Arrange. Really, after instantiating Kontakt or whatever, this takes me half a minute, tops. :)

That might work for you. for me, it's an unacceptable workaround to the removal of a feature that would never have been eliminated if the programmers had even a cursory understanding of the ways that many professional users work.

lol

What if you didn't think to load a multi-timbral instrument from the beginning? Can you change an instrument to multi-timbral after the fact? And can you continue to add MIDI tracks in the stack up to 64 tracks? Do you have to preselect the number you think you might want and than delete or hide the ones you aren't using just in case you might use them?

Lastly, can you have a MIDI track associated with the Multi that isn't in the stack? A lot of us who work with large orchestral templates might have instances of Kontakt that contain a mix of instruments from different sections of the orchestra but like to organize our Arrange Window to reflect section grouping - woodwinds together, horns, percussion, strings, etc. Wen I am working on an arrangement I might need to add a sound after a Multi is set up, let's say a roto tom, but might only have room in the Kontakt that is loaded mostly with woodwinds but also a harp and a muted solo trumpet. Do I need to "seat" the trumpet player, the harpist and this just hired tom player with the woodwinds?

the escape key no longer seems to open the tools.

Works here (but I'm still using the my old key commands). Try pressing the "T" key. If not look for the "Show Tool Menu" command in the key commands window.

J.

Did you have to re-enter them or could you import into Logic X?

As far as the new with next midi channel issue goes.

I used this feature quite a bit before so I did some experimenting and have found the following:

It turns out that you don't have to create a multi-timbral inst upfront. I instantiated a single instance of a stereo Stylus RMX track and then changed it to multi-timbral. The mixer gave me the + sign to add aux channels. I then selected all of them at once and hit create track. The tracks automatically had the next MIDI channel. At this point you can put them all in a track stack or not. It works either way.

It seems that seeing how easy it works, I don't see any reason for them to have kept the new with next MIDI channel option.

I used this feature quite a bit before so I did some experimenting and have found the following:

It turns out that you don't have to create a multi-timbral inst upfront. I instantiated a single instance of a stereo Stylus RMX track and then changed it to multi-timbral. The mixer gave me the + sign to add aux channels. I then selected all of them at once and hit create track. The tracks automatically had the next MIDI channel. At this point you can put them all in a track stack or not. It works either way.

It seems that seeing how easy it works, I don't see any reason for them to have kept the new with next MIDI channel option.

Thanks much for the info! You may have just ruined my weekend, or made it, depending upon one's point of view, because I'm now leaning strongly towards purchasing LPX before the day is out.

Some of this is encouraging, but I'm still confused about some things. To lologic: didn't I read elsewhere that checking multi-timbral in the Track > New dialog also requires you to pre-specify the number of multi-timbral tracks you will need? If true, this is a problem if you don't know that information in advance (as I never do), and if you don't want a bunch of empty tracks cluttering up your arrangement.

You can hide the extra tracks.

lol

It turns out that you don't have to create a multi-timbral inst upfront. I instantiated a single instance of a stereo Stylus RMX track and then changed it to multi-timbral. The mixer gave me the + sign to add aux channels. I then selected all of them at once and hit create track. The tracks automatically had the next MIDI channel. .

This is how it worked in later versions of LP9. I've used this method for a while because it keeps the mixer a little cleaner. I'm curious why this isn't the default way LPX creates multitimbral instruments since you'll want to do this if you want to mix each channel separately.

It turns out that you don't have to create a multi-timbral inst upfront. I instantiated a single instance of a stereo Stylus RMX track and then changed it to multi-timbral. The mixer gave me the + sign to add aux channels. I then selected all of them at once and hit create track. The tracks automatically had the next MIDI channel. .

This is how it worked in later versions of LP9. I've used this method for a while because it keeps the mixer a little cleaner. I'm curious why this isn't the default way LPX creates multitimbral instruments since you'll want to do this if you want to mix each channel separately.

lul, there is some confusion here I surmise. Multi-timbral is not the same thing as an AU-instrument with multi-output support, as is the case with + channels appearing to add aux channels.

multi-timbral is with regard to a multi-instrument accepting input from multiple midi channels only.

lol

You can hide the extra tracks.

Yes, I just finished downloading LPX and I do see that now. That's pretty reasonable, I think ... I can create multi-timbral instruments with the maximum track count that I might want and then unhide them as I need them. I'm glad about that, because when I tried johnnyalan's method, the additional Aux channels have incrementing MIDI channels but don't actually allow recording (there's no Record Enable button), which makes that technique useless to me. I think you are right that he may have been confusing multi-timbral and multi-output. (In my case I've always used both, because I like having control of the individual channels of my multi-timbral instruments at the mixer, and instruments like Kontakt and Omnisphere make that pretty simple in conjunction with the (+) button on the Logic mixer.)

As long as I have at least one reasonable workflow for multi-TIMBRAL instruments (and it appears that I do) I will be content ... thanks for your help!

I just put Logic X into record with the added aux track selected in the main view and it recorded the midi input even thought there was no record button on the track so it seems like Morphido's method will still give you "new with next midi channel functionality".

lul, there is some confusion here I surmise. Multi-timbral is not the same thing as an AU-instrument with multi-output support, as is the case with + channels appearing to add aux channels.

multi-timbral is with regard to a multi-instrument accepting input from multiple midi channels only.

lol

There's no confusion. Kontakt, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Mach 5, VSL, and Play are all multitimbral (plays different sounds on different MIDI channels) AND multi out instruments I use daily. In later versons of LP9, you could play and record MIDI on AUX tracks which let you both play and hear the individual instruments on separate tracks. What was described above is how I setup Stylus RMX and it is actually very powerful. However if you wanted all you instruments coming out the same audio channel, this does make things more complicated. In that case I would want the now missing "Create track with next MIDI channel" command for sure. Trust me, I've wasted many months tweaking multitimbral instruments to get a somewhat decent orchestra to play from my Mac.

Did you have to re-enter them or could you import into Logic X?

I didn't have to do anything special. I have my key commands file in the usual location in my user Library folder. When I launched Logic X I got a dialog asking me if I wanted to use the old commands or the new ones. I told it news ones, panicked, and loaded my preset from the key commands window (loaded, not imported...they were already there).

J.

Sorry for yet another post, but has it been commented on there being less circuit types in the compressor, yet? That doesn't bother me a lot, seeing as I use all UAD comps.

There are still 6 compressor types, it seems like they have just been re-named, similar to adding "Vintage" to the Organs/Clav/Piano... will do a side by side comparison tho and see if they were truly updated.

+ Compatibility with 32 bit Plugins!

Sorry, but can not see this happening! 32Bit Bridge was buggy to begin with, and 64bit is the future, has been for 3 years or so now. Logic will get VST support back before 32bit again.... RIP SupaTrigga, LiveCut.... :P

Yeah, it's for the best in the long run *right off the bat Logic X is WAAAAAAAAAAAY snappier than Logic 9 was*. With that said, it's going to mean that it'll be a while before I can transition 100% to Logic X from Logic 9, since there are some semi-obscrure plugins that I ABSOLUTELY need that haven't been updated to 64bit. Time to bug the developer.

Has anyone found a viable workaround for "Create Track with Next MIDI Channel"? I can't work in X without it.

I know you can designate how many multi-timbral parts you want before opening a new software instrument but I'm often not sure how many I'll need in a particular multi when I'm starting a new project. I bought X yesterday but I'm staying in 9 until I can figure this one out.

Finally! :D

I hope this could help to the people was working with multi-instruments without creating multi-channel items in the environment.

Thanks for the info.

Wow! Another totally illogical workaround to accomplish such a basic function. Creating aux's in order to have additional midi tracks. Then you have to take another step in order to see them in the arrange window. Ugg. Are they aux's or midi tracks? It's absurd. I love Logic and haven't upgraded to X yet. I will, but no "new w next channel", no custom colors, no custom icons..... I just don't get it why they would remove these things.

Oh well, thanks for the workaround. I'll check it out once I download X.