Yosemite is out. Consensus with Logic X?

realtwang

Very serious CPU load in Logic Pro X with Yosemite!!!! Everything worked fine on my MacBook Pro 13'', 2,8GHz, i7, dual-core, but on my iMac 21,5'', 2,5GHz, i5, quad-core I was not able to load more than 4 channels in the Logic Pro Benchmark Test, and more than 2-3 plugins on my (full of plugins) projects!!!! I immediately downgraded to Mavericks (lots of wasted time), and I'm wondering if there's some Yosemite future for my iMac, which I mainly use for audio... Very strange and sad, since I 've never (from Lion times) encountered a problem conserning upgrading and I would not expect a Mac OS X collaboration with an Apple app (Logic Pro X) problem... I hope Apple takes care of this issue ASAP!!!! We're upgrading to make our lifes easier and faster and not to run into serious trouble and waste our time on up and down-grading (down-grading that needs a computer genious and lots of wasted time googling on bootable USB and so on...). And what is that fury with a new OS X every year? What about our systems, our software configurations, our hardware drivers, our old projects and computers etc???? iOS 8 fiasco in on the road for Yosemite????

whatever happened, it's not typical (as you mentioned re: your macbook pro). you could have asked here (or on mac forums, ie macrumors) for help, but you're already back to mavericks. if things work, that's what matters most.

i am very happy overall with LX on yosemite on my macbook, and my production partner (who's on a new imac with same) is having a good experience too.

as always, manufacturers usually need to update their drivers/software for a new OS; that's how it goes...

Yosemite is the best desktop i've had since Snow Leopard. Logic projects that were on the verge of tripping up on Mavericks are much more stable. The first Pic is the desktop idle. The second Pic Logic is playing a large project, Safari is running also. In the past this logic project would have shown high cpu usage, close to tripping up logic. I've been using Activity Monitor throughout to monitor WindowServer and the tweaks have reduced its CPU usage. You mustn't mess with windowserver but tweaks to reduce eye candy reflect in activity monitor.

AM-Desktop-only.png.85d55aac4e5638952370904a0c92bd44.png

AM-LpX-LargePrj-WindowServer.png.961d51640747ad8fb44ec636407d0d12.png

I found this description regarding WindowServer:

WindowServer draws everything you see on the screen. It acts as a mediator between applications that want to draw on the screen and the graphics hardware. When an application wants to draw something, it establishes a connection with WindowServer, tells WindowServer what to draw, and WindowServer handles the drawing / compositing / Quartz Extreme hardware acceleration to finally produce what's seen on the entire screen...

There's lot's of discussion on the net regarding windowserver hogging the cpu.

site:https://discussions.apple.com windowserver

I too had to roll back to Mavericks. I had issues with both Logic and Reason giving higher than normal CPU utilization and I did also notice WindowServer was being a hog as well. This is on a Mid 2011 iMac. My laptop, which is a year or two older, doesn't seem to be experiencing this problem with Yosemite at all. I wonder if it's related to the graphics chipset since WindowServer seems to be part of the problem.

Very serious CPU load in Logic Pro X with Yosemite!

I too had to roll back to Mavericks.

This information is not valuable unless we understand what kind of system, specially audio interface you are using.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.10)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Sorry about that! Here's a bit more information on what I have running.

http://www.bsodcomic.net/snapshots/screenshot-10-23-22-10-31-2014.png

The high CPU utilization was happening with OSX 10.10.0 (Yosemite) and Logic X Pro 10.0.7. I was also experiencing the same issues when running Reason 8. My interface is a Focusrite Safire Pro 40 and I'm running version 3.5 of the Safire Mix Control driver. I'll add this to my sig. I have since rolled back to OSX 10.9.5, though.

No cpu spikes with Yosemite and LPX here.

Yomesite seems to be less memory hungry than Mavericks at desktop iddle.

But I found a minor bug:

After accessing the file editor by double-clicking on an audio region, after making a selection and quitting the editor by double clicking the editor's FILE button, then the file editor won't open again if I double click any audio regions.

The only way to open it afterward is to click the file editor button in the main menu bar.

Same behavior with a new project.

Anyone can confirm?

Anyone can confirm?

Works perfectly fine here.

Please start a new topic and include a step by step guide to see if we can nail it down.

OK. working fine with a new project here too. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for helping Eric.

I think I have a corrupted project. It has 24 screensets !!. I'll try to sort it out and start a new topic if needed.

I too had to roll back to Mavericks. I had issues with both Logic and Reason giving higher than normal CPU utilization and I did also notice WindowServer was being a hog as well. This is on a Mid 2011 iMac. My laptop, which is a year or two older, doesn't seem to be experiencing this problem with Yosemite at all. I wonder if it's related to the graphics chipset since WindowServer seems to be part of the problem.

yosemite Mid 2011 iMac graphics card

Mid 2011 iMac graphics card

yosemite Mid 2011 iMac graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6750m

Mid 2011 iMac graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6750m

I searched the above lines on the net and there's some interesting reading. I don't know enough about iMac's but the AMD Radeon cards had issues.

Try searching the above suggestions and variations to see if the issues match your problem.

Does Mavericks work well with your iMac? compared to Yosemite?

Does your older laptop use nVidia card? as it seems fine running Yosemite.

My mid 2010 MacBook Pro has an Nvidia card in it and is running Yostemite just fine. My iMac didn't seem to start having problems until Yosemite. It's always run fine with Mavericks. The Radeon card could possible be part of the problem. Below are the stats on my laptop which I'm just using with the internal sound card.

http://www.bsodcomic.net/snapshots/screenshot-17-21-38-11-01-2014.png

gkillmaster,

You might have some Avid/Digidesign drivers on your system that are interfering with the validation. It appears the problem occurs with Native Instruments plugins that also have hardware. Found this solution that worked for me on Pro Tools Expert Site:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2014/10/26/native-instruments-offer-a-workaround-for-avid-coreaudio-yos.html

Follow these step-by-step instructions to temporarily remove the Avid CoreAudio driver in order to allow NI products to run properly under Mac OS 10.10:

Open the Finder and locate the following folder: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL

Move the “Avid CoreAudio.plugin” outside of this folder (e.g. to the Desktop).

Type in the admin password when prompted.

Restart your computer.

While you still can fully use Pro Tools without the Avid CoreAudio driver, it is not possible to monitor the audio output of any third-party application using your Avid audio interface. If you require this functionality again, you need to move the file back to its original location and restart your computer. In this case, the mentioned NI applications will stop working again.

After I removed it all of my DAW's were able to validate Guitar Rig, Komplete Kontrol and Maschine Studio plugins

thank you dogmann! I tried that and it didn't solve the problem, however, I just discovered (after 2 days of troubleshooting) that for each of those programs, you must start them in their stand alone version before the plugins will work. Seems so crazy. I stumbled across this on the NI forum and it worked. I don't know why this is. I hope they consider this a bug!

I just discovered (after 2 days of troubleshooting) that for each of those programs, you must start them in their stand alone version before the plugins will work. Seems so crazy. I stumbled across this on the NI forum and it worked. I don't know why this is. I hope they consider this a bug!

Actually that is (or used to be?) the standard procedure. In order for the plug-in to work properly one had to the standalone version first after installing.

J.

Does anyone know if the iCloud Drive from Yosemite can house full folders of Logic projects. I would be more than happy to upgrade to Yosemite if the iCloud drive provides essentially a digital hard drive for my project folders, but for as much as I've looked, I haven't seen anything confirm this.

Anybody??? I'd really like to know before I upgrade.

Does anyone know if the iCloud Drive from Yosemite can house full folders of Logic projects. I would be more than happy to upgrade to Yosemite if the iCloud drive provides essentially a digital hard drive for my project folders, but for as much as I've looked, I haven't seen anything confirm this.

Anybody??? I'd really like to know before I upgrade.

i don't see any option to do this....yet. i can save, for example, a pages doc to icloud drive, but that choice does not seem to be there with logic X.

• 2 weeks later...
Very serious CPU load in Logic Pro X with Yosemite!!!! Everything worked fine on my MacBook Pro 13'', 2,8GHz, i7, dual-core, but on my iMac 21,5'', 2,5GHz, i5, quad-core I was not able to load more than 4 channels in the Logic Pro Benchmark Test, and more than 2-3 plugins on my (full of plugins) projects!!!! I immediately downgraded to Mavericks (lots of wasted time), and I'm wondering if there's some Yosemite future for my iMac, which I mainly use for audio... Very strange and sad, since I 've never (from Lion times) encountered a problem conserning upgrading and I would not expect a Mac OS X collaboration with an Apple app (Logic Pro X) problem... I hope Apple takes care of this issue ASAP!!!! We're upgrading to make our lifes easier and faster and not to run into serious trouble and waste our time on up and down-grading (down-grading that needs a computer genious and lots of wasted time googling on bootable USB and so on...). And what is that fury with a new OS X every year? What about our systems, our software configurations, our hardware drivers, our old projects and computers etc???? iOS 8 fiasco in on the road for Yosemite????

whatever happened, it's not typical (as you mentioned re: your macbook pro). you could have asked here (or on mac forums, ie macrumors) for help, but you're already back to mavericks. if things work, that's what matters most.

i am very happy overall with LX on yosemite on my macbook, and my production partner (who's on a new imac with same) is having a good experience too.

as always, manufacturers usually need to update their drivers/software for a new OS; that's how it goes...

I had the same concern, about a non typical problem, that's why I tried a clean install of Yosemite before downgrading to Mavericks. The problem persisted (that's why I was forced to downgrade), so I should consider it typical enough (perhaps a problem with this particular iMac). What worries me is that Apple won't pay any attention to a problem that has to do with a 4 years old computer (as if we must buy a new computer every year) so I'm stuck to Mavericks for ever...

I’ve just updated to Yosemite 10.10.1 in the Mac App Store.

The OS X Yosemite v10.10.1 Update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac. This update:

• Improves Wi-Fi reliability

• Improves reliability when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server

• Resolves an issue that may prevent Mail from sending messages through certain email service providers

• Addresses an issue prevents connecting to remote computers using Back to My Mac

• Resolves an issue where sharing services, Notification Center widgets and Actions may not be available

• Addresses an issue that could cause Notiication Center settings to not be retained after a restart

• Addresses an issue that might prevent the Mac App Store from displaying certain updates

• Addresses an issue that could prevent some Mac mini computers from waking from sleep

• Resolves an issue that might prevent Time Machine from displaying older backups

• Addresses an issue that might prevent entering text in Japanese

About the OS X Yosemite v10.10.1 Update

OS X 10.10.1 has fixed the Notification Center settings bug here. My settings are not lost on restart now.

I haven’t had a long session in Logic yet, going to check it out more tonight.

Edit: Had a long session last night in Logic, very nice.

I hope this update helps with some of the issues posted here.

One thing I’ve found here is that Yosemite re-indexes spotlight on every boot up. It’s not doing a full index just a refresh for a short time. After login open spotlight ‘Cmd-Spacebar’ and hit full stop (.) .

Here I get a blue status bar as spotlight indexes.

Spotlight-Full-Stop.png.16755682d0173a484da1b89e5c19217e.png

Minor glitch but I like to let spotlight complete its reindex before starting work.

Once done type log ’Right Arrow’ Autocompletes Logic Pro X.

Spotlight-LogicProX.png.a6a43c2344e4e69fd1bf1cfe58507fff.png

• 2 weeks later...

Mid 2011 iMac, I7 2.8 gHz processors.

Logic X 10.0.7.

I updated the OS from 10.8.5 to Yosemite.

In Yosemite the performance was horrible.

CPU spikes, I couldn't run projects that were running great in Mountain Lion.

I started trying to troubleshoot, removing and reinstalling plugins, NOTHING worked.

So I started clean, wipe my drive, reinstalled Yosemite, Logic and all my plugins.

That fixed all of my issues!!!

It was a pain, but it paid off.

I kept a clone of the 10.8.5 installation around and copied a few preference files etc... to save some time after installation.

Federico

Actually I take it back, after a day the CPU started spiking again!!!!

I tried the same Logic song betting from 10.8.5 (I have a second drive) and the CPU consumption is less than half. I'm reverting to Mountain Lion...Sad, Apple doesn't seem to get any OS release right lately.

I tried the same Logic song betting from 10.8.5 (I have a second drive) and the CPU consumption is less than half. I'm reverting to Mountain Lion...Sad, Apple doesn't seem to get any OS release right lately.

What would be nice to know is the specs of your computer. Seriously. (It's highly recommended that members here provide a detailed list of their computer specs, and the audio device used, in their signature line.) Is the CPU consumption that you're experiencing related to the age of your computer? The amount of RAM in your computer? How and where you place your project and audio files? The audio device that you use? Since upgrading to Yosemite, including 10.10.1, I have had not one CPU spike that resulted in the system overload message. I've had other issues with Yosemite, but nothing having to do with Logic Pro X. Actually, I'm almost ready to declare that the Yosemite/Logic Pro X combination to be the most stable experience for me, so far. I've done two things to help ensure success with Yosemite: 1) I did a clean install of everything on a dedicated boot-up disk for my audio/video programs (admittedly a very slow process) and, 2) I've updated the drivers to my audio device (MOTU 2408 MK3). Taking these precautions might explain my success with Yosemite and Logic Pro X (also with Final Cut Pro X, too).

i literally have the same machine as you and was having the SAME problem. did some digging around yesterday before downgrading and i just posted a response in another thread about it. you're most likely are having the SAME problem. it's an easy fix though.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112309

• 1 month later...
Same problems with the latest version of Yosemite and Logic Pro X 10.1 (the latest big update). I gave it a second try installing both on my iMac i5, 2.5GHz, 500GB HDD 7200rpm, 12GB RAM, which still works with Mavericks because of Logic's CPU load on Yosemite, that forced me to a time wasting up-downgrading. After a while I was forced to downgrade again to Mavericks, in order for Logic Pro X 10.1 to work properly, without Yosemite's CPU load, that does not let work on my projects created on Mavericks. Shame on Apple again for my wasted time. I'm leaving Yosemite attempts behind forever, because I want to focus on my music...