Yosemite is out. Consensus with Logic X?

realtwang

I spoke with a Mackie rep, and you're starting to see this popping up on their Facebook page, too: they acknowledge the issue but have no ETA for a fix. I find this pretty crappy; the Yosemite public beta was out for months. they had no one working on this?

I'm stuck facing the idea of downgrading to Mavericks, which I'm dreading.

Same story here...and I should have known better.

I use a Firewire-based interface with my 27" iMac (2010) - the Mackie Onyx Blackbird. I researched online to see if there were any known issues and i found none, so i (probably hastily) took the plunge.

Bad idea.

Now the iMac 'sees' the Onyx, but the Onyx will not work -- it does not 'see' the iMac back. Its only been a day or so, and i opened a ticket with Mackie about it, so i hope there is a fix soon.

Bottom line: Mackie Onyx Blackbird does not play well at the moment with Yosemite.

I also have a Late '09 iMac and Blackbird, and found Mackie lagging behind on driver support back when I was running OS X 10.7...but the 4.0 drivers solved everything and it was running beautifully...and I have no excuse (other than stupidity) for rushing into Yosemite. What was I thinking???

When I contacted Mackie Support, this is the response I got: "The Onyx Blackbird is not supported OSX Yosemite and the v4.1.0 driver will not work. Here in Tech Support I do not have an ETA on when new drivers will be available. Keep connected to our website for any future driver updates for the Onyx Blackbird. My best suggestion would be to revert your computer to an older version of OSX."

It's not a Firewire cable issue, it's their drivers (again)...so I guess I'm now looking for a new Firewire interface, because I don't want to go back to 10.9. (sigh) Probably go with Saffire, but if Santa comes early, maybe a Fireface.

I think I'm done with Mackie. Love the hardware, but the driver support is consistently late.

My first week on 10.10 has been good. I didn't install any Beta versions but Apple releasing them to the public seems has been a good move. LpX is running fine.

I did add these settings to my tweaks.

Disable "Spotlight Suggestions" and "Bing Web Searches" in System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results.

Safari also has a "Spotlight Suggestions" setting that is separate from Spotlight's "Spotlight Suggestions". Disabled also now.

Logic X 10.0.5, OSX 10.8.5, Mac Pro 2x 3.06 GHz, core Intel Xeon,12GB RAM,4 X 1 TB 7200 RPM, Motu 828,Mackie Onyx 1640i, Mackie HR 824,Virus TI2,DS Prophet 08, DS Mopho,Tenori On,NI Komplete 8,Maschine 2,Waves Platinum V9,Duende Studio, Neumann Tl102

So no problem with your Mackie 1640i running Yosemite? I ask because I heard that there were a lot of problem with the Onyx series running in Mavericks (so much so that I didn't upgrade).

If I may ask, does your 1640i Onyx serial number begin 003 or 204?

Cheers

Sorry - yes, I tried 'reset and rescan selection'... quite a few times, in various ways. Restarted etc. It ain't happening....

Try quitting Logic, deleting the Audio Units cache file (/Users/your user name/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache/com.apple.audiounits.cache) and then relaunch Logic to re-validate all plug-ins.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 00.04.18.png[/attachment]

J.

Regarding Native Instruments, I got this:

"Hello Ville Virtanen,

Native Instruments has conducted compatibility tests with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite which have shown current NI products to work without any specific issues under standard installations of this operating system.

However, products with a hardware dependency, such as MASCHINE, KOMPLETE KONTROL, TRAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, and Controller Editor will not launch when the AVID CoreAudioManager/Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Native Instruments is currently conducting further systematic compatibility and performance tests with the release version of Yosemite, and will provide new information as it becomes available.

Best regards,

The Native Instruments team"

Guitar Rig crashes / validation on 10.10 can be solved by removing the Avid Core Audio device, that solved it for me (I'm not using anything Avid, don't know why its there and others might actually need it)

Got this from NI support, worked for me:

1) Open Macintosh Finder and choose

Macintosh HD ▸ Library ▸ Audio ▸ Plug-Ins ▸ HAL

2) drag the „Avid CoreAudio.plugin“ outside of this folder and type in admin

password when prompted

3) after successfully deleting the file this way, please restart the computer

Yup, just installed it and can verify that my Novation ZeRO SLMKII and Automap are working fine

Hey thanx C4L88 for your feedback!

Greatly appreciated!

After checking Avid's support website, it is mentioned that Eucon devices are not supported by Yosemite yet and they advise not to update until a new driver is released...

I am getting a couple crashes now and again. Seems to happen when changing screenshots. Anyone seeing this?

Yes, happened once. I had a relatively light Logic project go down (using PLAY 4.2) after simply trying to switch screensets. As soon as I hit the key command for a new screenset Logic crashed, which is unusual in that I don't recall that ever happening in the past 20 years. Other than that one occurrence everything is running fine.

I'm experiencing a significant increase in CPU load.

I've installed the Yosemite certified Apogee Duet 2 driver.

I've selected inbuilt audio as an output and the problem still exists.

Buffer at 1024.

Everything fine as at 10.9.5

Logic 10.0.7

It seems that booting 9.1.8 in 32 bit mode is ok, no increase in cpu load I can detect in quick tests.

Anyone have any suggestions please.

Thanks

EDIT: update, tried deleting plist preferences, reinstall Logic 10.0.7.

Problem persists.

Seems basically most/any third party plugins causes huge cpu hit.

Ugly ;9

After 3 days of trying everything known to man I gave up and reinstalled Yosemite.

I'm very pleased to report that step has solved my huge cpu load issues.

Go figure !

cheers

I'm experiencing a significant increase in CPU load.

I've installed the Yosemite certified Apogee Duet 2 driver.

I've selected inbuilt audio as an output and the problem still exists.

Buffer at 1024.

Everything fine as at 10.9.5

Logic 10.0.7

It seems that booting 9.1.8 in 32 bit mode is ok, no increase in cpu load I can detect in quick tests.

Anyone have any suggestions please.

Thanks

EDIT: update, tried deleting plist preferences, reinstall Logic 10.0.7.

Problem persists.

Seems basically most/any third party plugins causes huge cpu hit.

Ugly ;9

After 3 days of trying everything known to man I gave up and reinstalled Yosemite.

I'm very pleased to report that step has solved my huge cpu load issues.

Go figure !

cheers

I spoke too soon.

Logic worked fine for about 3 hours yesterday after the reinstall of Yosemite.

I shut down last night.

Boot up today, repair permissions....and now Logic has the same major cpu overload again !!!

It seems to be caused by plugins, not audio drivers.

Driving me insane. :shock:

Can you narrow it down to which plugins? maybe there will be updates for the offenders.

Haven't really been able to so far.

I'm pretty sure I've got latest versions of just about everything.

As a starting point the increased cpu load seems to apply across the board once plugins are used.

I've deleted old demos and things I don't use but I still have just over 600 AU plugins.

The thing is I'm struggling to run really modest projects.

eg: 5 song EP mastering job

5 stereo interleaved audio files

No more than say 5 inserts on each song

maybe 10 inserts on the stereo bus

24/88.2

this is not a big project. :shock:

I have several similar or smaller EP mastering projects, all suffer the same problem.

And don't forget for about 3 hours after I reinstalled Yosemite everything seemed normal again.

That is what I find really weird.

But now after shutting down my iMac after that ok day the problem returned after rebooting the next day.

The joke is all I did that next day before booting Logic was repair permissions with Disk Utility !

I've reset SMC, PRAM, deleted Logic preferences, rescanned all the AU plugins about 15 times, deleting user AU cache before each re-scan.

I've noticed that NuGen SEQ-2 is now an uber cpu hog.

Likewise TDR Slick EQ GE.

When I load a saved project the CPU and HD meters in the transport bar max out before I've even hit play.

I've updated firmware on my external HD.

I've tried running small projects that are backed up on my system drive, rather than from the external HD.

Same issue.

I've stared at the Activity Monitor but can't see anything.

I've un-installed stuff like iStats, DropBox....and on and on.

Driving me nuts. :wink:

cheers

I spoke too soon.

I shut down last night.

Boot up today, repair permissions....and now Logic has the same major cpu overload again !!!

Can you remember if after the Yosemite install rebooted itself, you shutdown again manually before using Logic without issue?

Repairing Permissions: is it possible the permissions repaired are in a log somewhere?

If so this would be a good log to read.

I've got the same CPU issues in Logic Pro X on Yosemite :( iMac 2011 i7 3,4, 16Gb in pair with Apogee Duet 2 - huge CPU overload within my session. When I activate software monitoring, it kills one of the cpu cores! Open the Kontakt player - the same. Even with 512 buffer size. I have updated Kontakt 5 and Wave plugins recently. It really brings me down :(

I spoke too soon.

I shut down last night.

Can you remember if after the Yosemite install rebooted itself, you shutdown again manually before using Logic without issue?

Repairing Permissions: is it possible the permissions repaired are in a log somewhere?

If so this would be a good log to read.

I'm 99.7% certain that I didn't shut down again manually before using Logic after the Yosemite reinstall.

Because when I tested Logic and it worked I was so happy I used it for a few hours immediately !

I had a good look at the permissions log in Disk Utility at the time.

Most of the items repaired I'd never heard of.

I was looking for any obvious ones related to audio but don't recall seeing any.

I did a repair permissions after the initial Yosemite install and the number repaired was significantly less that the number after the reinstall.

cheers

I've got the same CPU issues in Logic Pro X on Yosemite :( iMac 2011 i7 3,4, 16Gb in pair with Apogee Duet 2 - huge CPU overload within my session. When I activate software monitoring, it kills one of the cpu cores! Open the Kontakt player - the same. Even with 512 buffer size. I have updated Kontakt 5 and Wave plugins recently. It really brings me down :(

I feel your pain!

I have software monitoring off and the buffer at 1024.

Even with the Apogee Maestro software uninstalled, the Duet 2 disconnected and selecting internal audio for input and output (buffer 1024) the high cpu load continues when using Logic 10.0.7.

So I think we can rule out the Duet 2.

Have you tried doing this just to confirm it ?

On Gearslutz I posted thread asking if anyone else is having the issue.

Over 150 people have viewed the thread and no one has replied.

I assume that means very few people with a mid 2011 iMac have gone Yosemite and use Logic.

Surely anyone with that set up who is not having the high cpu load issue would say so.

Looks like a mid 2011 iMac issue.

cheers

I really like the look of Yosemite, but I've been facing a lot of problems with my interface being detected in the 'Sound Preferences'.

I'm using the RME Fireface UCX, I thought it was a problem with the drivers, so I re-installed them, but still no Luck! :(

Anyone else using an RME product facing this problem has a solution?

I noticed people were having some problems...

Some of my plugin's were acting funny, but reinstalling the license fixed that issue, but I can't seem to fix the interface.

Please help!

These two tweaks have certainly improved performance on my mid 2009 MacBook Pro. Yosemite was already running well but the improvement was worth loosing the eye candy.

Go to the Apple menu and in System Preferences go to “Accessibility”. Choose ‘Display’ (it’s usually the default panel to open) and check the box for “Reduce Transparency”

Go to the Apple menu and in System Preferences go to “Extensions”. Click on “Today” from the left side menu and uncheck all options you don’t need or care about – Weather, Stocks, Social, Reminders, etc ...

My MacBook Pro was running well on Yosimite, however simply because the update history is back to Snow Leopard I decided to go through the guide below to refresh the install. First I created a USB install disk, just in case!.

All went well and Mac and logic are still fine. One scare after resetting PRAM was my mac kept starting in recovery mode. Selecting the right boot disk on shutting down from recovery mode sorted it. I had to reset a couple of minor system settings but they were eye candy related. Logic and Audio setting remained fine. Yosemite has been up and running for a couple of hours since going through the guide, up to now all is fine.

Read the full thread if you are thinking of using the guide.

I was prepared to do a complete fresh install if needed as updating through from Snow Leopard seems amazing.

Guide: How to solve Yosemite memory leaks and CPU usage

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6623697

It may be a placebo effect, but I think I am seeing better core distribution and fewer cpu overloads. I am actually quite pleasantly surprised, though I still think things look a little flat. I have my quibbles, but they're nothing to do with Logic's performance. I think that Apogee's recent driver update for my firewire Duet has helped in that respect. Sampletank 3 was shorting out Core Audio regularly and reliably. It isn't now.

It may be a placebo effect, but I think I am seeing better core distribution and fewer cpu overloads. I am actually quite pleasantly surprised, though I still think things look a little flat. I have my quibbles, but they're nothing to do with Logic's performance. I think that Apogee's recent driver update for my firewire Duet has helped in that respect. Sampletank 3 was shorting out Core Audio regularly and reliably. It isn't now.

Core and CPU performance are better here too. They were before I followed the guide and cleaning up my upgrade history shows. My external (fw) hard disk performance in logic has improved since Yosemite upgrade and now after tweaks it's even better. Logic projects open and settle faster. My boot preference is set for verbose, resetting PRAM restored the default boot screen so I had to reset back to verbose, I don't understand all the info but I like to watch the boot process. The new Duet FireWire drivers being available alongside the osx released version is a real bonus, not having to wait for the hardware manufacturers to 'catch up' is one of the positive aspects of Apple releasing the Beta's to users. The “Reduce Transparency” preference made may desktop instantly better it was a real cpu hog. Today I've set the dock to hide and turned off Dashboard as I don't use it. One thing is bugging me, when setting notificatios in system preferences they restore to defaults every time I restart the mac.

such a headache. many Mackie users are very miserable right now. i've been following it.

my workaround was this: i created a 100GB partition on my 2 TB HD. i downloaded a Mavericks installer, which i did by going to the app store and listing "purchased" items and there it was. trouble is, Yosemite will not run a Mavericks installer! (why?) SO - i dig out my Lion installer discs, boot from that, install Lion on the partition. Lion will NOT run the Mavericks installer unless its upgraded to 10.6.8, so i do that. THEN - Mavericks can be installed.

so currently i run everything from the partition, until they release a fix. its a bit psychotic as i have to boot back into Yosemite to access certain files or run other things, but it is nice having a dedicated audio partition. I made my project files on the Yosemite partition available to the Mavericks partition, so i can go back and forth, although i worry i am creating a monster but i haven't run into any problems yet. I'm even running Logic X off the Yosemite partition, while in Mavericks. no issues. kind of weird.

i would rather not do it this way, needless to say. Thanks, Mackie.

Same story here...and I should have known better.

I use a Firewire-based interface with my 27" iMac (2010) - the Mackie Onyx Blackbird. I researched online to see if there were any known issues and i found none, so i (probably hastily) took the plunge.

Bad idea.

Now the iMac 'sees' the Onyx, but the Onyx will not work -- it does not 'see' the iMac back. Its only been a day or so, and i opened a ticket with Mackie about it, so i hope there is a fix soon.

Bottom line: Mackie Onyx Blackbird does not play well at the moment with Yosemite.

I also have a Late '09 iMac and Blackbird, and found Mackie lagging behind on driver support back when I was running OS X 10.7...but the 4.0 drivers solved everything and it was running beautifully...and I have no excuse (other than stupidity) for rushing into Yosemite. What was I thinking???

When I contacted Mackie Support, this is the response I got: "The Onyx Blackbird is not supported OSX Yosemite and the v4.1.0 driver will not work. Here in Tech Support I do not have an ETA on when new drivers will be available. Keep connected to our website for any future driver updates for the Onyx Blackbird. My best suggestion would be to revert your computer to an older version of OSX."

It's not a Firewire cable issue, it's their drivers (again)...so I guess I'm now looking for a new Firewire interface, because I don't want to go back to 10.9. (sigh) Probably go with Saffire, but if Santa comes early, maybe a Fireface.

I think I'm done with Mackie. Love the hardware, but the driver support is consistently late.

Very serious CPU load in Logic Pro X with Yosemite!!!! Everything worked fine on my MacBook Pro 13'', 2,8GHz, i7, dual-core, but on my iMac 21,5'', 2,5GHz, i5, quad-core I was not able to load more than 4 channels in the Logic Pro Benchmark Test, and more than 2-3 plugins on my (full of plugins) projects!!!! I immediately downgraded to Mavericks (lots of wasted time), and I'm wondering if there's some Yosemite future for my iMac, which I mainly use for audio... Very strange and sad, since I 've never (from Lion times) encountered a problem conserning upgrading and I would not expect a Mac OS X collaboration with an Apple app (Logic Pro X) problem... I hope Apple takes care of this issue ASAP!!!! We're upgrading to make our lifes easier and faster and not to run into serious trouble and waste our time on up and down-grading (down-grading that needs a computer genious and lots of wasted time googling on bootable USB and so on...). And what is that fury with a new OS X every year? What about our systems, our software configurations, our hardware drivers, our old projects and computers etc???? iOS 8 fiasco in on the road for Yosemite????