Logic Pro X 10.1 Released! (screenshots)

David Nahmani

I successfully downloaded the Additional Content (approx 25 Gb) but I've been stuck on "Installing Additional Content" for about 12 hrs. The blue progress bar is all the way at the end and the window says "installing." Is this normal? Should I quit and re-download the Additional Content? Thx!

I successfully downloaded the Additional Content (approx 25 Gb) but I've been stuck on "Installing Additional Content" for about 12 hrs. The blue progress bar is all the way at the end and the window says "installing." Is this normal? Should I quit and re-download the Additional Content? Thx!

12 hours is unusually long.

What are your system specs? See Forum rules #5...

Do you have plenty of spaces on your HD?

Are you installing on the system drive?

12 hours is unusually long.

What are your system specs? See Forum rules #5...

Do you have plenty of spaces on your HD?

Are you installing on the system drive?

I'm running a 2012 3.33 GHz 6-core cMP with 48 Gb RAM. OSX Mavericks 10.9.5. Logic Pro X 10.1. 500 Gb Samsung EVO SSD system drive (450+ Gb free).

Installed Logic on System drive. Trying to install additional content to System drive. Just keeps saying "installing additional content" for 12+ hours now. Does it have to unpack/decompress those 25 Gb of additional content or is 25 Gb the actual additional content? CPU usage is only 3%.

Logic won't quit or let me restart/shutdown my Mac.

You should have been asked for your admin password for the install process to start?

Right click on the Logic Pro X icon in the Dock and choose "Force Quit". You may have to do this twice if it doesn't respond first time. Shut down and restart your Mac and start again. You will then be asked for your admin password and the process will complete.

You should have been asked for your admin password for the install process to start?

Yes it did ask for my password which I put in successfully to begin the installing. The blue progress bar went all the way to the end and stayed there. Should I still force quit if I put in my password? Thx.

Yes it did ask for my password which I put in successfully to begin the installing. The blue progress bar went all the way to the end and stayed there. Should I still force quit if I put in my password? Thx.

Hi cinealta, yes, I would. It shouldn't take that long.

Thanks Dave. That worked like a charm. When I go to "Download Additional Content" it shows all packages "Installed."

Since I have seen a small handful of folks with problems opening old 10.0.7 projects in 10.1, and since I'm not between projects at the moment, I want to be able to keep both software versions on my system. In a previous post, someone said this is possible, and I just want to be sure to do it properly...

To make a backup of LPX 10.0.7, I went to the Applications folder and executed "Duplicate", which created another file called "Logic Pro X copy". Is this all that is necessary to generate a backup? Where should I place the backup copy of 10.0.7 so that it will remain on the system when I download the 10.1 update?

Can anyone verify that this was successful on their system?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

OS X 10.9.5, iMac 21.5" i7 16GB RAM LPX 10.0.7

I would check anyway that all the additional content was actually installed...

Same here cinealta. The last process you should see is the Apple loops reindex.

...When I go to "Download Additional Content" it shows all packages "Installed."

I would check anyway that all the additional content was actually installed...

Thanks for the tip! I never saw the Apple Loops reindex. What's the best way to verify the Additional Content was actually installed? Should I randomly go through my library and check the sounds one by one? Or should I search for the sample library folders? If I should search for the sample library folders where are they located? Thanks again for the advice!

I found two bugs within 5 minutes usage *sigh*

1: GUI bug, in my Global Tracks view "Arrangement" and "Movie" appears on top of each other. I have to turn off (and then on if I want it) arrangement to get access to the Movie pane.

2: Speaking of movies.... if I "Open movie..." when a movie is already present (in full screen), a new movie is loaded on top of it - or perhaps the same one turns up both as full screen and as a window. And if I then turn on "Full screen" on the newly loaded window on the same monitor I have my "Arrange" etc open, the only way to get back to your arrangement/project, is to close the project completely and reload it.

Nice going beta testers 8)

PS: At least the "realtime update" of MIDI automation seems to have been fixed - hurray!

Thanks for the tip! I never saw the Apple Loops reindex. What's the best way to verify the Additional Content was actually installed? Should I randomly go through my library and check the sounds one by one? Or should I search for the sample library folders? If I should search for the sample library folders where are they located? Thanks again for the advice!

In the download additional content window select “All not Installed”. If everything is already installed there won’t be an option to install showing and “Cancel” will be the only option available.

To reindex the apple loops just click on the “Loops” tab in the loops browser and you’ll see the option to reindex apple loops at the bottom.

ReIndex-Apple-Loops.png.d023e4a3e1e522c9d67b1898e83fa793.png

1: GUI bug, in my Global Tracks view "Arrangement" and "Movie" appears on top of each other. I have to turn off (and then on if I want it) arrangement to get access to the Movie pane.

Confirmed but with other Global Tracks. It seems to be related to the set space for the Global tracks...

Besides (in the Global Tracks Configuration pop up window) when clicking on Enable All , only Arrangement, Marker, Signature and Tempo tracks get selected... Seems like Movie, Transposition and Beat Mapping are ignored...

Since I have seen a small handful of folks with problems opening old 10.0.7 projects in 10.1, and since I'm not between projects at the moment, I want to be able to keep both software versions on my system. In a previous post, someone said this is possible, and I just want to be sure to do it properly...

To make a backup of LPX 10.0.7, I went to the Applications folder and executed "Duplicate", which created another file called "Logic Pro X copy". Is this all that is necessary to generate a backup? Where should I place the backup copy of 10.0.7 so that it will remain on the system when I download the 10.1 update?

I’m not 100% sure of this but there’s a couple of things to consider.

If you created a project in an earlier version of Logic then open and Save the project with LpX 10.1.0 you can’t re-open the project with the earlier version again? If you want to run both versions of LpX, after opening your older projects using 10.1.0 do a Save-As straight away and give the project a name you will recognise at a later date, e.g. Project-name-X1. Leaving the original project alone.

Don’t customise your plugins using the new customise plugins feature. Your older version of LpX will not be able to read the new customisation options.

Again i’m not sure of these facts but it’s worth looking into if you want to run both LpX versions at the same time.

I’m not 100% sure of this but there’s a couple of things to consider.

If you created a project in an earlier version of Logic then open and Save the project with LpX 10.1.0 you can’t re-open the project with the earlier version again? If you want to run both versions of LpX, after opening your older projects using 10.1.0 do a Save-As straight away and give the project a name you will recognise at a later date, e.g. Project-name-X1. Leaving the original project alone.

Don’t customise your plugins using the new customise plugins feature. Your older version of LpX will not be able to read the new customisation options.

Again i’m not sure of these facts but it’s worth looking into if you want to run both LpX versions at the same time.

After some testing on small projects (would'nt dare to risk big :mrgreen: ), the projects runs ok.

However, there is a warning message at the opening of the project that inspires prudence!

Cool. That makes sense to create a different project name just in case. I wondered if a project file would be compatible with both versions indefinitely.

I did open an old project in 10.1, hopefully autosave didn't screw things up for me...

What I did notice was an overall difference in the sound, actually. My mix wasn't the same as what I had done. It sounded thinner, brittle. That convinced me not to use 10.1 until I've finished old projects on 10.0.7, then make the switch, just to be safe. I assume that if I had mixed this project on 10.1 the whole time I would achieve similar results, and the DAW doesn't "sound" different, because who know what can happen importing an old project.

Maybe I'll just educate myself of the new features of 10.1 while finishing up old stuff. I'm anxious to see how well the new drummer stuff is implemented.

Lastly, at the time of this update's release, I was just about to do a revamp of my personal project templates, channel strips, patches, presets, screensets to update my own workflow. I should probably do that on 10.1, huh? Is that stuff stored in the same folders where both versions of Logic could recognize it? Anyway, assuming I should do it on 10.1 only, I'm glad I hadn't started when it was released! 8)

Lastly, at the time of this update's release, I was just about to do a revamp of my personal project templates, channel strips, patches, presets, screensets to update my own workflow. I should probably do that on 10.1, huh?

Definitely!

Is that stuff stored in the same folders where both versions of Logic could recognize it?

I would think so, after loading old projects from 10.0.7...

Thanks - yeah to elaborate, "revamping" presets means creating many for the first time, as I've been meaning to do. So opening the 0.7 project in 1.0 didn't have much (any?) of this going on.

Update: upon further investigation, the difference in sound between opening an old project in the 2 versions MIGHT be because I used Drummer and a VI bass on the project. It seems like the low end was affected the most, so maybe some edit happened in 1.0 to the kick drum or bass sample for the ones I was using? I don't know. But I realized it's not an overall fall-apart, but limited to the rhythm section.

So far running the 2 versions side-by-side is working fine. I renamed projects as suggested if I wished to work in 10.1. Thanks for all the advice. Down the road when I decide to delete 10.0.7, is there anything in particular I need to do besides dump to trash?

:cry:

Disappointed …

I'm still running Mountain Lion because in the same way, it runs perfect.

And LP X 10.1 need OS 10.9 and later :evil:

And THIS is stressing me ( A new way to manage Trim Enabler on my Samsung SSD for example etc … )

I can imagine the mess, updating all this stuff :/

No question actually, but a little complain :mrgreen:

I hate complaining on public forums but I have to agree. Personally not a fan of Mavericks or Yosemite at all & 10.8.5 runs on my machine with no issues after hacking out all the background garbage in terminal and disabling gatekeeper.

Not at all a fan of Apple ditching OS support in the middle of an app's life cycle. Just wanted to voice my frustration…

Carry on!

new features, new code, require...new code in the OS. it's always been that way. and one day, you'll realize that you're running an old system, and that there are other apps that now require you to update. just the nature of the beast.

couldn't some of this new code be written into os updates/service packs ??

osx mavericks was released in oct '13. so, an os that has been running for more than 16 months is now not compatible ??

I'd say "they're forcing you to buy new hardware" but in all reality 10.10.1 runs on 7 year old machines.

Some things are reworked, some are updated... Logic 10.1 just dropped support of some of the old Audio Unit SDK.

couldn't some of this new code be written into os updates/service packs

some yes, but if you just keep adding stuff into old systems, why not just update? :)

new features, new code, require...new code in the OS. it's always been that way. and one day, you'll realize that you're running an old system, and that there are other apps that now require you to update. just the nature of the beast.

Logic 9 remained 10.6.8 compatible for its life cycle. IMO it is Apple's intention to force users to upgrade.