Logic erroneously writing all MIDI data as Channel 1

SamRussell

Hey, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I received an M Audio Keystation 61 Mk3 today.

After setting it up, I fired up logic. Created a blank MIDI region, set the score editor to Piano 1+2/3+4, and had a quick go using the keyboard.

Weirdly, Logic is reading all input from the keyboard as being Channel 1. I ran a program called "MIDI Monitor", and I can see that, when I change channel on the keyboard, the data coming out is registering with the correct channel, however, Logic will only write to the score on Channel 1.

Has anyone seem something like this before? Any ideas?

I'd be grateful for any solutions!

Ok, then you'll need to troubleshoot. If you're happy the keyboard is transmitting on variable channels, but it's being recorded as 1, and Logic isn't channelising it on the track as you show - then *something* is channelising it.

Check in your Environment, probably the click and ports layer, and make sure you don't have anything in there that is setting the channel to 1 before it hits the sequencer...

Thanks! I took a look in click and Ports, you can see on Input View that Logic is reading multiple channels, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the way of the sequencer:

221350108_Screenshot2020-05-21at18_39_35.thumb.png.943c94339435b1ff33ca89d53dfcfcf1.png

Yet when I write in the score editor:

660763345_Screenshot2020-05-21at18_41_40.thumb.png.9a8788da520cdf4312e9ea101c5d388b.png

Those notes were channels 1, 2, 3 and then 4 - all being written as channel 1.

Ok, a bit crossed wires here.

If you record normally in real time from your keyboard in a MIDI track with the track channel set to 'All", and your keyboard transmitting on (say) MIDI channel 2 - when you look at those events in the event editor, what channel are they on?

Because according to the Monitor screenshot above, they should get recorded as channel 2, as normal and expected.

Now, if you saying there is a different behaviour if you are entering notes in step time in the score editor, that's something different (and I'm not really a score guy so don't have an immediate solution wthout looking).

So if you could clarify which behaviour is causing the problem, that would help.

No worries - I *can* confirm the behaviour though...

In the manual, it says for step input:

"The channel settings of individual notes usually have no effect on the playback channel, and therefore the sound, of the MIDI region. The channel settings of individual notes are used mainly for polyphonic score display."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This is a topic I have never solved either - no matter what I do all Midi Input from a controller keyboard or step input always goes to Midi Channel 1 - hugely frustrating when there are already notes in the treble clef of a keyboard part and you want simply to input the notes for the left hand on Channel 2 in the bass clef.

If anyone can link to a definitive solution I would be grateful!