Logic Pro 9 new features and more info

This page will be updated as new information comes in.

Apple's Official Logic Studio Pages

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/

Buying Logic Studio or a Logic Upgrade

• Purchase Online at RSPE.com/apple

• Purchase over the phone: Call RSPE at (818) 509 5876 (ask for Chris or Meghan)

Mention Logic Pro Help and get 10% off and free shipping on your order!

New features

Logic Pro 9:

• Flex Time (Elastic Audio equivalent)

• Snap a word or beat on one track to a transient on another track

• Audio Quantize

• Bounce in Place

• Selective Track Import (choose media, plug-ins, i/o, sends, etc...)

• Drum Tracks Editing

• Speed Fades (Turntable-style start and stop)

• Auto-conform tempo when importing audio

• Varispeed

• Drum Replacer

• Editing within Take Folders

• Channel Strips now have a mono output option

• Track Notes in the Mixer

• Notes area in Media/Lists area (can display Project/Track notes)

• Control Surface bars in the Mixer

• Convert Audio Region to Sampler Instrument

• Freeze tracks: source only (before plug-ins) or pre-fader (after plug-ins)

• Guitar Chord grids with hammer-on, pull-off, bends notation

• Score editor Resize tool (adjust note length with the mouse)

• Vertical Score guides: show exactly the relation of symbols, staves, and time positions

• Amp Designer

• Pedalboard

• Space Designer Warped Effects

• All 6 Jam Packs (including newer "Voices" Jam Pack)

• New Gain parameter for Audio Regions

• Individual scaling of plug-in windows (100%, 125%, 150%, 175% or 200%) + ability do gradually resize (for most of Logic's own plug-ins)

• Set the number of backups directly from Logic

• Choose the default Stereo Output so it no longer automatically generates 1-2 every time you create a new track. Also with a mirroring option.

• Auto-Colorize Takes, will change the colors automatically of every sequential take wile recording.

• Pointer Tool has preferences to also act as Fade (when over the top left or right corner of a region) or Marquee tool (when over the lower half of a region).

• Export/Import Markers to Audio File

• Quick Look picture of Logic Projects

• Play button has new modes: Play Marquee Selection/Cycle/From Selected Region/From Last Locate Position.

• Stop button has new modes: Jump Between Marquee/Last Locate Position/Cycle/Selected Region and Project Start if stopped.

• Cycle button has new modes: automatically set the Locators by Selection whenever a new Marquee/Region/Note selection is created

• Zoom to fit All Contents key command

• Toggle Zoom to Fit Selection or All Contents key command

• Region Parameter box as a floating area

• Nudge by 1 or 10ms

• Fades now work on Apple Loops

• Logic 9 is a Universal Binary release, although it is officially not supported on PPC

• Assign Core Audio Inputs and Outputs separately

• Enhanced Marquee Tool functionality (copy and paste Marquee selection)

• Enhanced Automatic naming of Channel Strip Objects - Patch names from software instruments are now (as an option) copied to the Mixer and Environment Channel Strips

• Undo now works fine with automation

• The ProKit Update has fixed the bit bug in WB 1.6

• Group solo

• Group hide in the Arrange area

• Adjust Tempo using Beat Detection

• Nudge Regions to Beat

• Create an Apple Loop by dragging a MIDI or Audio region onto Loops browser

• Forward/Rewind by Transient (moves the playhead to the next or previous transient)

• Slice at Transient Markers (in the Arrange area)

• User tweakable settings for several of the new (non-destructive) time stretch algorithms

• Ability to navigate from slice to slice in the Sample Editor, including a command to audition next/previous slice

• Key command to Hide Arrange window Toolbar

• Import Sync Settings, Metronome Settings, Record Settings, Tuning Settings, Audio Settings, MIDI Settings, Video Settings and Asset Settings

• Reorganized Shortcut menu (Control-click pop-up menu) with 5 most used commands, sub-folder organization

• Ability to turn on hardware studio recording light when Logic is in record mode

• Tab to rename next channel strip in Mixer

• New icons in Toolbar (Group clutch, Crop...)

• Option to include automation trail when moving or copying region with automation (for automation trails that go beyond the region end)

• Edit volume automation nodes with the finest resolution when Control - dragging

• Drag and drop .caf Apple Loops directly from the Loop Browser into Ultrabeat

• Channel strips - new fader resolution. From +6db to -6db the faders are notched in 0.1 increments. That is 0.0, -0.1, -0.2, -0.3 etc. From -6db and lower it's 0.5 increments and then the increment increases the further negative you go.

• The cycle thru windows key command works as expected with the System Performance (CPU/HD) floating window open. In LP8, the Cycle Window command would cycle to the CPU/HD floating window and then stop cycling.

• Better EQ thumbnail at the top of channel strips (more contrast)

• Better progress meter when loading a project: one progress bar for the whole loading time instead of each single item. The window extends to display loading audio files and the overall display info is more accurate.

• The new alert windows when approaching or crossing the VM barrier with a save option before crashing.

• Copy and Paste a Region now prompts a dialog asking whether or not to copy automation.

• Non-destructive Real-time Region Time Stretching in Arrange area

• Fades now have a vertical guide to see where they start/end over the waveform

• Pro Tools-compatible key command set

• Entering search criteria in Kontakt database now correctly takes priority over Logic key commands

• Kontakt sluggish GUI with large # of samples fixed

• Bounce 2nd Cycle Pass checkbox: The bounce process takes two repetitions of the cycle range into account, with the creation of the bounce file starting at the second repetition. This is useful if you want effect tails (from the first cycle pass) to be added to the start of the bounce file.

• New Modes for Preview Buttons in Sample editor (Control-click to access: Auto-select Channel Strip or Preview Channel Strip)

• Solo-tool can now scrub audio files

• Round-trip latency displayed in Audio Preferences under I/O Buffer setting

• EXS24 has a 5.1 output option

MainStage 2

• MIDI Out

• ReWire support

• Loopback & Playback plug-ins

• Live Audio Recording

• Amp Designer

• Pedalboard

• Multi-mapping of controls (one knob = several parameters)

• Many more MainStage 2 new features in that thread.

• Import of markers from Logic

• Can create markers in Playback plug-in (Control-click ruler)

• Easier to configure Global Tracks: control-click or right-click and select the desired ones.

Soundtrack Pro 3

• Consolidated Multitrack Timeline & File Editor

• Support of Euphonix control surfaces

Waveburner 1.6

• DDP Export

Manuals

Logic Pro 9: User Manual

Logic Studio: Instruments

Logic Studio: Effects

Logic Pro 9: Control Surfaces Support

Logic Pro 9: TDM Guide

Logic Studio: Working with Apogee Hardware

Support Articles

Logic 9: Tips for phase-locked drum edits

Logic Pro 9: Projects may not open from the finder

Logic Pro 9: Number of recent items sometimes resets to 10

Logic Pro 9: Release Notes

Logic Pro and Logic Express 9: How to export multiple stems

MainStage 2: Edirol PCR-M80 may be detected as PCR-800

Configuring your MIDI controller for best results with MainStage

Logic Studio (2009): Applications may quit unexpectedly when opening if Logic Pro 6 was previously installed on computer

Logic 9 Apple Certification Textbook

Coming soon!

Logic9book.jpg.5edb38cf192baa4bdb8edd3658a7c303.jpg

Edited by David Nahmani

Ha! I finally have a reason to come back.. or do I?

Release date? I have heard Sep 3, but if I add the upgrade fro 8 to 9 to my cart in the online Apple Store, it says it will ship within 24 hrs? Available in brick n mortar Apple stores (upgrade pak, not the full $499)?

Have odd meters been "dealt with" finally? (this was so broken in 8; explaining this would take a post or two I think.. basically, odd meters would throw things off, compounding with each meter change in a song)

With all the new guitar/bass stuff, did they pay any attention to extended range instruments? In 8, 7-string guitar and 5- & 6- string basses were left in the cold. Even the tuner would not allow for anything below the low E of a 4-string bass. TAB scoring would not allow for extended range, nor would chords.

More questions, keeping it short (relatively ;) ) for this thread. I am guessing until it is actually in someone's hands, and due to NDA restrictions, no answer is possible today?

This was a pretty wild announcement to find today!

I can assure you I'm sharing everything I am allowed to share.

Oh, that's a bad sign.

Looks like they want to induce everyone into buying L9 to find out later on that it did not address past issues.

Otherwise, why would they want to keep it secret...

Some of the new features:

• Has anyone spotted the new "Gain" parameter in the Inspector that only works

on audio regions. Now we are able to set different gain values to different regions.

• Plug-in windows can be opened in different sizes from 100% to 200%.

• Set the number of backups directly from Logic.

• Choose the default Stereo Output so it no longer automatically generates 1-2 every time you create a new track. Also with a mirroring option.

• Auto-Colorize Takes, will change the colors automatically of every sequential take wile recording.

Anyone know if there has been any improvements to the way Logic works with the I/O plugin and determining/adjusting the latencies? Also how to deal with the funky solo button when I/O plugin is active?

I really love Logic but it's terrible to use with outboard gear.

Matt

Release date? I have heard Sep 3, but if I add the upgrade fro 8 to 9 to my cart in the online Apple Store, it says it will ship within 24 hrs? Available in brick n mortar Apple stores (upgrade pak, not the full $499)?

Good to see you back, Nikki!

The upgrade and full version are apparently shipping today, from both Apple and RSPE. Mention this website, and you get a 10% discount on it at RSPE. (thanks David!)

Wow- thx for all the "Welcome back"'s! :D

I am in a really interesting spot now...

I was planning to spend the absolute last of my spare cash (saved for a bit even) on the NI Komplete sale, as it (appears to..) ends July 31. And now this. Rough call...because.. L9 looks great, but a lot of it appears to be, "Woohoo! We have eclipsed DAWs from last year! PT 7 killer, and more!" (not to diminish L9 too much ;) )

On the flip, for OS X users, it means we can laugh at the resource issues others are having with their DAWs (with Sonar on W7 x64 being able to do so as well, albeit in a different manner). Every app has bugs, most dependent upon user workflow and demand. L8 failed for me BIG TIME with odd meters, especially multiple odd meter changes, tempo changes; add folder usage for a complete nightmare.

I spent time watching some vids, and reading the new online L9 manual. Seems all my questions are answered there (in theory! Maybe in practice, remains to be seen ;) ), except the odd meter thing (odd meaning anything but x/4 sigs).

Owning Cubase 5.. L9 is a step backward in feature set for me. Being on Mac, L9 is a huge leap in resource utilization (with caveats, of course). PT is all but dead to me (yeah, I know- put your eyes back in and lift jaw from floor.. lol). The new VariAudio is brilliant (with caveats) in C5, and scoring actually rises above "shabby" now (but not to "shibby," for me). Sibelius still for "real" scoring for print. The Arrange Track, plus addition of Tempo and Time Sig tracks (ala rulers), along with several other features brought C5 to a point that simply eliminated PT8 as an option (ridiculously so for me). Having multiple CC lanes in Cubase would be something I would miss, and something I am still trying to figure the why of for L9 not adding it (HyperDraw does NOT replace this need IMO). If L9 had FlexiPitch, and fixed my other issues.. well, the "no dongle" feature would have tipped the scales easily and unquestionably. I will end up buying the upgrade, but it is now a huge question for me to decide when.. especially given that I almost spent the only cash I have left already :(