Logic Pro 9 new features and more info

now THIS is a biggie to me...as close as it gets to mimicking the behaviour of the PT Multi Tool. VERY VERY COOL.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/#chapter=8%26section=19

--------------

Setting the Pointer Tool Behavior

You can set two different behaviors for the Pointer tool when using it in the Arrange window.

To set the behavior of the Pointer tool in the Arrange window

Open General preferences by doing one of the following:

Choose Logic Pro > Preferences > General (or use the corresponding key command).

Click the Preferences button in the Arrange toolbar, then choose General from the pop-up menu.

Click the Editing tab, then select the checkboxes of the required Pointer Tool in Arrange settings.

Fade Tool Click Zones: When this checkbox is selected, placing the mouse pointer over the upper-left and upper-right edges of a region activates the Fade cursor and behavior. The Loop cursor and behavior can still be accessed in these click zones by holding down Option.

Marquee Tool Click Zones: When this checkbox is selected, placing the mouse pointer over the lower half of a region (with the exception of the lower-left and lower-right edges) activates the Marquee cursor and behavior.

1) Channel strips now have a mono output option!!! Sweet! I don't mix in the box much. This will help tremendously! I hated having to pan L/R on every channel.

2) Flex with slicing mode! Finally! I won't have to transfer to Protools for drum editing.

I'm stoked!

honestly if i really wanted to time stretch something i'd just turn it into an apple loop

but either way i prefer cutting up loops and audio myself to make them fit the tempo. it just works better for me and i enjoy doing it.

all these new features don't seem worth the upgrade :/

any luck on a bug fix report??

drum replacer seems pointless :cry: what was wrong with using audio to score??

quantizing audio so it's perfectly on sync? whatever happened to recording a good performance? come on man what is this nonsense :?

and recording at a slower tempo?! that is just LOWWW

isn't this like cheating????

i can't believe sometimes i feel bad about using a little auto-tune when i'm not going for the cher effect

Edited by ohmicide

drum replacer seems pointless :cry: what was wrong with using audio to score??

quantizing audio so it's perfectly on sync? whatever happened to recording a good performance? come on man what is this nonsense :?

i can't believe sometimes i feel bad about using a little auto-tune when i'm not going for the cher effect

I LOLLED and HARD! :lol:

in that case isn't sequencing in general cheating ?

every time YOU hit the Q button you are cheating, ever time you use an orchestral sample, cheating ?

it's called modern production and it's been happening for a long long time now.

sgt peppers ring a bell ?

in that case isn't sequencing in general cheating ?

every time YOU hit the Q button you are cheating, ever time you use an orchestral sample, cheating ?

it's called modern production and it's been happening for a long long time now.

sgt peppers ring a bell ?

at the risk of derailing this thread.....

just because theres a precedent doesnt mean its good for art. some of us still believe in hard f$@%ing work to make our tracks sound good. some of us still play real instruments.

so yeah, im definitely with ohmicide here.

p.s. if youre gonna mention sgt peppers..... can you imagine how that record would sound if it had been "fixed" by logic 9's new features? food for thought (i hope)....

I just got the L8 book a few months back. Will there be an update to purchase :P

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing what's in the new book.

I use logic mainly for remix purposes so flex time is more than exciting for me, have my update ordered.

I noticed when I was ordering that it said "LOGIC STUDIO UPGRADE PRO 5,6,7,8". Is that a typo on the store site or can people with older logic versions, say logic 5, update directly to logic 9 for the €200 price? If so that's a sweet deal for them, given 8 to 9 is the same price.

The new Project Notes and Track Notes features look useful.

It's good to hear from you, Nikki.

Hey Nublu.

Just wanted to add some picture spice to your post ... very nice new feature.

http://images.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/images/track_notes20090721.jpg

The new bounce in place function is really slick.

screenshots maybe?? This sounds truly wonderful

By all accounts I could find. This sound a lot like the AudioSuite stuff in PT... basically, destructively apply effects to audio. The only way to do this in Logic 8 is through STP, or any external audio editor, so this would be a real time saver!