Logic Pro 9 new features and more info

About the surprising apple announcement of Logic pro 9 release I like to comment the following:

I am a Logic user since the very beginning. Since time ago me like many other Logic users are demanding several improvements in the software according to the new times and needs.

"Guitar players are going to love Amp Designer and Pedal-board..." it says in front of the release add. Is Logic pro becoming more an application for recording guitar players and for mass consumers?

I feel that Logic pro needs to be updated in many other areas not only in the Audio management. For us users that work with large orchestral libraries or plug ins that demand a wider memory management ( we need 64 bit apps with maximum RAM addressing from the app.) other apps like pro tools 8 or the latest Cubase offer certain improvements that we will like to see in Logic Pro.

We desperately need:

- 64 bit

- No RAM limit inside Logic Pro

- Better communication between Logic and Sibelius. I will like to see something like Pro-Tools Has, a Sibelius Lite Score inside the app that lets you write and export the score to Sibelius for later improvement. Or at least something like dumping MidiFiles from Logic to Sibelius should be possible for faster integration between both. Logic score is not really compatible with Sibelius as far as I can see.

- We need something similar to Cubase´s  VST Expression – An ultra-intuitive way of working with multiple instrument articulations from sample libraries, making a link between score symbols and sound.

- Track Folders like in DP, to group, show and hide tracks  in a large list of tracks from an Orchestral template...

- In the midi area inside the midi roll editor windows we need to visualize more than one controller at a time like other apps do, not just one!

The list doesn't end here, goes on an on

Please people from Apple, if you want to keep up with the spirit of what Logic Pro used to be, a top professional app for professional studio use, not just for recording but also for serious midi composers,  consider seriously all our demands to make a XXI century product. Otherwise you will only achieve a mass product just for mass people and you will loose lots of professional potential customers like me that will seriously  start to consider moving out to other applications that give us what we need for our work.

best

Tomás San Miguel

composer and producer

mail@musimagic.com

www.musimagic.com

-

just because theres a precedent doesnt mean its good for art. some of us still believe in hard f$@%ing work to make our tracks sound good.

and you think "hard f$@%ing work" wont still be necessary? times change, and with the times change also our standards of what is considered "good": current technology is already capable of amazing things that were unthinkable when sgt peppers was made, but there are already many people who do not consider strictly quantised, autotuned and over processed mass-market music-by-numbers to be "good". we seem to share this opinion

but dont worry, you are still gonna have to do some "hard f$@%ing work" if you want to sound good. i personally dont think that the sterile, beat-perfect factory-produced s#!+ that a lot of people make with this technology is good at all, but that wont stop me using the same technology (but perhaps in different ways to which it was originally intended) in order to make music which i do consider good.

it would seem that you are (quite understandably) worried that any fool with logic can come along now and do in a second what its taken you years of practice and "hard f$@%ing work" to learn how to do - and this may or may not be true - but this would seem to me to a good reason why you (and me, and anyone else who believes in working on your own to produce innovative results) need to be putting in more "hard f$@%ing work" than ever before. not to keep up with the auto-everything TV-dinner-pop-music crowd, but in order to get away from them.

afaik nobody ever created anything new or of value by complaining about change. if you care about art then use the tools in your own way, and react against that which you dislike: but dont just bemoan that its all too easy now and that anyone can do it, thats the lazy way out, i.e. not "hard f$@%ing work" at all

About the surprising apple announcement of Logic pro 9 release I like to comment the following:

I am a Logic user since the very beginning. Since time ago me like many other Logic users are demanding several improvements in the software according to the new times and needs.

Tomás San Miguel

composer and producer

mail@musimagic.com

www.musimagic.com

-

Tomás, you and others are entitled to want what you want. But here is what I can tell you is a fact, not an opinion, as a high profile Logic author and trainer who communicates with tons of pro Logic users: Most of the most asked for top requests of working pros for perceived missing features have been addressed by Logic Pro 9.

A form of Elastic Audio.

A way to bring in Channel Strips from one project to another.

Bounce in Place

Multitrack editing

Audio Quantizing

And so on.

As for 64 bit, as I have posted several times, a couple of years ago Dr. Lengeling told many folks, including me, that he believed that it caused as many problems as it fixed and that there were other, better ways to address more memory for software instruments, etc. He then proved it with the EXS24. And now Native Instruments has proved it with Kontakt 3.5. Snow Leopard should also help with this. So I do not think 64 bit Logic will happen in the not too distant future and that is fine with me. ProTools is not 64 bit, Digital Performer is not 64 bit. Cubase and Sonar are, and I see no evidence that there users are creating better, more professional music any more easily because of it.

HCan you tell us if we're able to fully zoom-in vertically on a region in the Arrange Page now?
:shock: :?

Aren't you able to do that in Logic 8???

Nope. I can zoom-in on the waveform, but not the region. It makes fine editing impossibly hard, unless I'm missing something.

Nope. I can zoom-in on the waveform, but not the region. It makes fine editing impossibly hard, unless I'm missing something.

Well either you are or I am (missing something).

But here in Logic 8 I can zoom in vertically on the entire Arrange area using the zoom sliders, or on individual tracks by dragging their lower left corner. Or obviously the zoom tool.

Well either you are or I am (missing something).

But here in Logic 8 I can zoom in vertically on the entire Arrange area using the zoom sliders, or on individual tracks by dragging their lower left corner. Or obviously the zoom tool.

What a dolt! :oops:

I've been using the track height thing every time. That is, grabbing the track header and expanding it down with the pointer. That has a limit, and I never use the zoom tool.

... still learning, thanks David! :)

Hey Eric....One thing I sorely miss (or just can't figure out how to do)..is something PT does..

it's called 'Tab to Region Start/End. This is great, say..if you have 50 different SFX on a track (each their own region), and you simply need to chech the top/tail of each one quickly, in order, forwards or backwards..

in PT..you simply hit TAB...the SPL jumps to the top or tail of the region (you do not have to select the region..it just does this on the 'track'. Apple-Tab goes backwards.

is there a similar Workflow in L9?

Hello,

Just a small question (probably a stupid one ...) as I'm quite new to apple. Will I have to uninstall Logic Studio 8 or can I just upgrade without the hassle of uninstalling and re-installing everything? Will I have to re-install all my plugins etc?

Thanks,

Ginz.

P.S. When will Logic Studio 9 upgrade be available in the apple shops ?

Hi David,

Got a question for you. I passed my certification Logic 8 Level 1 and got it in May of this year, I am looking to pass the second one in September (Level 2). Do I need to repass the level 1 for the 9 to do the level 2 ?? Do yu have info on this.

Cheers man.

A french guy from Canada.