Logic Pro 9 new features and more info

Hey David,

This has everything on my Logic wishlist! Yes!!

I am VERY happy.

BTW, you have "Looper" listed under Logic. Does it work in Logic also, or only in Mainstage as someone else said?

Thanks.

... now I have to start reading this forum everyday again for the next 6 months.

Also, can we pick up a copy at RSPE, or is it mail order only?

Eric

• New some to fit All Command!

That one was already in my original post in this thread!! - assuming "some" is just "zoom" with a Swedish accent? ;-)

But I'm adding the nudge one. Thanks!

I thought it was french? :wink:

There are a lot... I mean a lot of new key commands.

Here's two more that I think are interesting:

• Cycle Audition.

• Slice at Transient Markers

Hey Eric....One thing I sorely miss (or just can't figure out how to do)..is something PT does..

it's called 'Tab to Region Start/End. This is great, say..if you have 50 different SFX on a track (each their own region), and you simply need to chech the top/tail of each one quickly, in order, forwards or backwards..

in PT..you simply hit TAB...the SPL jumps to the top or tail of the region (you do not have to select the region..it just does this on the 'track'. Apple-Tab goes backwards.

is there a similar Workflow in L9?

Two more:

• Forward By Transient

• Back By Transient

You have to select region or regions and the Playhead moves to the next/previous transient. :D

Looper is only part of Mainstage.... For the moment. :wink:

i am very happy for new "gain" parameter in the inspector. hope to see more of these small but super important details and improvements.

Does this have "graphic" handles for adjusting levels? I hope so!

Sorry no handles. Just a simple parameter in the inspector.

But hey! It works fine.

Hey Eric....One thing I sorely miss (or just can't figure out how to do)..is something PT does..

it's called 'Tab to Region Start/End. This is great, say..if you have 50 different SFX on a track (each their own region), and you simply need to chech the top/tail of each one quickly, in order, forwards or backwards..

in PT..you simply hit TAB...the SPL jumps to the top or tail of the region (you do not have to select the region..it just does this on the 'track'. Apple-Tab goes backwards.

perhaps key command for "playhead to region start/end". mine is set to shift+space

Nope. I can zoom-in on the waveform, but not the region. It makes fine editing impossibly hard, unless I'm missing something.

Well either you are or I am (missing something).

But here in Logic 8 I can zoom in vertically on the entire Arrange area using the zoom sliders, or on individual tracks by dragging their lower left corner. Or obviously the zoom tool.

I always use this function on a key command:

Zoom to Fit Selection Vertically and Horizontally, Store Navigation Snapshot.

I believe that's the longest key command name in Logic?

I always use this function on a key command:

Zoom to Fit Selection Vertically and Horizontally, Store Navigation Snapshot.

I believe that's the longest key command name in Logic?

... and now for the greatest irony on Earth. I use that ALL THE TIME, but I never actually thought about using it on a single region. I use it when I need to fit a bunch of regions into a space. ... ok, maybe not the greatest irony, but sometimes I just get so used to doing thigns in a particular way, I just leave the blinders on. Thanks, Lagerfeldt and David

perhaps key command for "playhead to region start/end". mine is set to shift+space

Forward by Transient

Back by Transient

:wink:

ok..I'll try that...but won't that just go to the next transient WITHIN the region? I dont want to hit the key a zillion times to get thru all the transients...Just want the top or tail of the region (I do this to check fade ins/outs, etc...and to quickly audition each region..

That sounds very much like PT's "Tab To Transient' button...which rocks..but it's not the same at TABbing to the start/endof each region, forwards or backwards, in sequence...

Edited by dkgross

i'll give that a shot....that should work if you have a region selected..but what if you have ALL the regions of the track selected?? will that kc keep moving the playhead downstream? (Sorry for the topic divergence..I won't be in front of Logic for the rest of the day...)

ok..I'll try that...but won't that just go to the next transient WITHIN the region? I dont want to hit the key a zillion times to get thru all the transients...Just want the top or tail of the region (I do this to check fade ins/outs, etc...and to quickly audition each region..

That sounds very much like PT's "Tab To Transient' button...which rocks..but it's not the same at TABbing to the start/endof each region, forwards or backwards, in sequence...

Sorry I missunderstood...

I thought you where talking about the beloved Tab to Transien wich now works.

Look at silvertonesx24 answer, there's a go to selection end but then you'll have to press the right arrow button in between to select the next region.

Edited by Eric Cardenas

Hi David,

Got a question for you. I passed my certification Logic 8 Level 1 and got it in May of this year, I am looking to pass the second one in September (Level 2). Do I need to repass the level 1 for the 9 to do the level 2 ?? Do yu have info on this.

Cheers man.

A french guy from Canada.

Yes, you will have to get certified level 1 for Logic 9 first, then you can get certified level 2 for Logic 9.

drum replacer seems pointless :cry: what was wrong with using audio to score??

quantizing audio so it's perfectly on sync? whatever happened to recording a good performance? come on man what is this nonsense :?

and recording at a slower tempo?! that is just LOWWW

isn't this like cheating????

i can't believe sometimes i feel bad about using a little auto-tune when i'm not going for the cher effect

A skeptic, I love it.

Well, this uses a new and very sophisticated transient detection algorithm. It also automatically sets up the replacer sound which is just a single key zone exs instrument as the replacement inst. The studio content library has hundreds of sounds (acoustic and electric) to use.

The other thing that's cool is there are different types of drum sounds. If for example, your mic recorded a great transient, but the body of your kick needs fattening, they provide a "body" sound that is missing the transient, same is true for sounds that need help on the transient. So you can layer or replace or even augment sounds to get the perfect sound.

There's nothing wrong with audio-score, but its old technology and less reliable for drum replacement work. This is a very simple, straightforward setup.

HA! I laughed at this too!

It also has another use..

Sometimes, you work on a song and you realize, after its all recorded that it feels a bit sluggish.. you can very quickly hear what it would sound like faster.. if you like it, you can use flex time to speed up your project.. nice.

HA! I laughed at this too!

It also has another use..

Sometimes, you work on a song and you realize, after its all recorded that it feels a bit sluggish.. you can very quickly hear what it would sound like faster.. if you like it, you can use flex time to speed up your project.. nice.

This has been standard function of Ableton since it's existence. Nice though, I can lay down some guitar parts a little easier, since I suck, LOL.

I wonder if we could try the old Zappa trick, Octave bass trick, with recording at half speed, as if we were slowing the tape machine down to half speed?

New features

Logic Pro 9:

Selective Track Import (choose media, plug-ins, i/o, sends, etc...)

I have some questions about this feature and how it differs from "save channel strip." The only differences I see is the ability to import data & send information; all the rest we've already been enjoying if you save your own channel strips, correct?

In fact, I would think saving channel strips would actually be quicker in applications where you just want the plugins/fx settings, as you dont have to go browsing through old songs. However, one MAJOR missing feature in channel strips is the ability to save send relationships; i.e. if your channel strip sends to a delay/reverb bus, you cannot save this relationship. This has now thankfully been addressed with track import, but can it now also be done with channel strips?

Hi David,

Logic 9 and your book about Logic 9 it will never be for me.

I started from Logic 5 and I paid around $500 add on top two upgrades ($199 for Logic 6 upgrade and another $199 from 6 to 8) and now.....another $200 for Logic 9while the full version it costs $499??????? No f.......g way.

As a Logic user I feel so badly reaped off.

Hi David,

I started from Logic 5 and I paid around $500 add on top two upgrades ($199 for Logic 6 upgrade and another $199 from 6 to 8) and now.....another $200 for Logic 9while the full version it costs $499??????? No f.......g way.

http://www.ccboe.net/Teachers/vonplinsky_debr/images/7A9FAD2D1FB94D50B60C745A450ACBA0.jpg

Hi David,

Personally, I think you're crazy. This software should cost $9,995 - not $495 - and professionals would pay that all day long. I have no idea why they sell it so cheap. If you don't think the new feature set is worth it, just wait a year or two for the next version and eventually you will consider $199 to be equitable for the new features. Also, remember that Logic did cost $995 until fairly recently, so you're not far off on your investment.

Can definitely tell you haven't been doing this long though because it wasn't so long ago that $20,000 would have been a lowball entry point - not even counting the VI's.