Next update 10.5 or will it jump to 11 and...

JamesK

modular environment. Kinda like, ENVIRONMENT? but updated after 25 years, right?

Kinda. For audio. Featuring envelopes, LFOs, gates and what not (all trigger-able by conditions and modifiers). Also featuring easy layering, parallel processing and what not.

And obviously with a GUI that won't make you feel like it's 1960.

They only have so many developers, and those development resources are always split between,

While the logisitics may be true, this sentiment falls down when Apple are happy to watch FAR smaller developers struggle to keep up with their technologies and hardware changes across MacOS/iOS.

Forcing developers to move to newer SDK's, Super Retina displays etc. or else they can't even submit their apps for approval.

We had it for a small change last year, that didn't even affect the frontend design yet lead to much un-necessary work at the time.

Also, let's face it: There's a whole league of plugin developers with way less money and employees on their hands which still manage to keep their stuff up to date.

So, while I don't think that the Logic core developers should "waste" their precious time to update the aging plugins, they could as well just hire some plugin/GUI experts. Their wages should be even less than peanuts for Apple. But instead, their "pro" sequencing software comes with DMD - which is kinda like the antithesis of any evolutionary theory.

it's one of the richest most valued companies on the planet.

and most of plugins were just that - reskinned.

i mean, they could literally hire two guys for 4 months to make it happen.

I have a feeling that. Everybody was pooled together to work on performance optimisations for the launch of Mac Pro. Before then we have seen them release retina updated plugins being released in batches, along with quite few other new features.

When Logic Pro X turns 5, we will see some more too. Hopefully they will all be updated by then.

it's one of the richest most valued companies on the planet.

and most of plugins were just that - reskinned.

i mean, they could literally hire two guys for 4 months to make it happen.

I have a feeling that. Everybody was pooled together to work on performance optimisations for the launch of Mac Pro. Before then we have seen them release retina updated plugins being released in batches, along with quite few other new features.

When Logic Pro X turns 5, we will see some more too. Hopefully they will all be updated by then.

exactly. It was their Pro software which sells a lot of their macs, and when 2012 retinas came out, it wasnt ready.

it was ready a YEAR LATER.

that's just sloppy, because they know Logic doesn't garner media attention so they don't bother upping budget for 5k/month for couple of months to bring it up to speed.

it's abysmal really

exactly. It was their Pro software which sells a lot of their macs, and when 2012 retinas came out, it wasnt ready.

it was ready a YEAR LATER.

that's just sloppy, because they know Logic doesn't garner media attention so they don't bother upping budget for 5k/month for couple of months to bring it up to speed.

it's abysmal really

There has been a change though, it was instigated about a year ago. I think we are just starting to see the fruits of their labour. Oh s&*t man, sorry about the pun!! Haha!!

Apple put together a new team, consisting of industry pros and developers. I highly suspect that David Earle is part of this team. My guess is they had their hand in the design of the Mac Pro and deciding what happens in the very near future for pro apps. Logic’s performance update will just be the tip of the iceberg.

Interestingly I came across an article about it a week or two back.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/05/mac-pros-lessons-learned-will-trickle-down-to-all-pro-products-says-project-lead

I’d reserve judgement just a bit longer, at least until we see how this new arrangement pans out.

Hopefully. What’s a “deep computer scientist”? LOL.

Haha!!

At a guess it’s either to do with machine learning or the other pros often neglected and forgotten by people like us... mathematicians, physicists, basically scientists in general. They’re also pro, most of them doing doing far more important jobs than the likes of us.

• 3 months later...
10.4 released 25 jan 2018 almost two years, When is Logic Pro 11 Coming?

January 2020 at the beginning of the NAMM show? Or will it be 10.5? Or will it come at some random time? I don't think anyone knows, or at least those know know (or who believe they know as even developers and/or software companies have been known to change their mind at the last second for various different reasons) won't speak.

Haha, what's in a number?! - whether it's v10.5 or v11 - it should be 'what' they fix or add to the product that's important. Or else, you're sitting like a dog wagging it's tail waiting for someone to throw you a treat. Not very productive mindset lol.

Rather than pondering when the next 'big' update is, just turn your mind to the current version and learn a new element of it. There's always new features, tricks and workflows to discover that are under your nose.

Haha, what's in a number?! - whether it's v10.5 or v11 -

Well, 11 would mean you'd have to pay.

It doesn't at all, When was the last time you paid for MacOS, Final Cut, iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers etc.?

LPX is a product that you've paid your entry too, just like those above. Waiting for a v10.5 or a v11 - makes no difference, it's just a number, waiting on a specific feature or bug fix makes more sense.

The next update may have a load of changes, or it may just be a cumulative update. 'If' a version 11 ever comes - i believe it will be marketed as a different app, different interface, and perhaps one that runs universally on Ipad Pro's and desktops.

Until that happens you won't be paying a penny more for LPX, it's just not in their marketing strategy- they want you to buy the hardware and then exist happily within their eco system. They're not a steinberg who need to create new features to sell software each year, for example.

A big v11 paid release (IMO) just isn't in their current makeup.

• 7 months later...

Logic Pro X 10.5 is not compatible with High Sierra. I can't upgrade to the new Logic vers as for some reason my mac can't upgrade to Catalina or Mojave. So it has started already....

It will not jump to 11. I don't understand the phrase "will Sierra be unable to upgrade Logic"... Do you mean "will Logic be incompatible with Sierra"? I'd say maybe 10.6 or 10.7 - or maybe 10.10 or 10.15 or 10.20? There's no telling. I'd expect Sierra to be able to run the latest Logic for at least the rest of this decennium, and probably longer.

I'm really hacked off now. I have loved having Logic Pro X as my principle DAW. I have enjoyed all the new toys on each upgrade. NOW.... 10.5 has arrived and I can't upgrade to it. I have a custom built Power Mac with all the bits n pieces that will poop over most other macs. To run 10.5 we need to have at least OS Catalina. My mac wont load up Catalina and I am stuck with High Sierra; which wont run LPX 10.5

Not happy at all.......... Why can't I get Catalina (I couldn't get Mojave either).

BTW My mac is a 2015 built in a 2010 chassis.

I'm really hacked off now. I have loved having Logic Pro X as my principle DAW. I have enjoyed all the new toys on each upgrade. NOW.... 10.5 has arrived and I can't upgrade to it. I have a custom built Power Mac with all the bits n pieces that will poop over most other macs. To run 10.5 we need to have at least OS Catalina. My mac wont load up Catalina and I am stuck with High Sierra; which wont run LPX 10.5

Not happy at all.......... Why can't I get Catalina (I couldn't get Mojave either).

just to be clear, you need mojave (at least) to run LX 10.5.

this always happens; logic gets upgraded, and older OS'es cannot run it. i feel for those who want it & can't have it... but this is nothing new, and no one should be surprised.

You might find this article interesting...

Hi jon

If you have loved Logic why not just stick with the version have and love!? you are not obliged to update to 10.5.

I love Logic also, but I am on Logic 10.3.2 because of my OS, very happy here, so I miss out on some nice new features? all is stable for me, which is paramount. Nothings gonna change regarding updates and the OS needed to run them, if you are really desperate to keep up with all the latest releases then fine, but it is a never ending game of catch up.

A couple of guys I know are still on Logic 9, and they have no intention of updating!