Help! Logic Pro Session is not opening all of the sudden

brian289

A Logic Pro 10.2 session i've been working in for weeks is now not opening. It was working an hour ago and then I exited out of Logic, and by the next time I tried re-opening it, this one particular session i've been working on will not open and I get a message that says, "this operation could not be completed." This is driving me crazy, so any help is appreciated! I've tried copying the session and opening the copy, but that didn't work. I also tried importing it into a new session, which also didn't work. Why do all my other sessions work except this one all of the sudden? Thanks.

David - I did as you said, when I found the session file in the "All Files Browser" I pressed "import" and the side bar where it should show me options of things to import showed nothing and behaved very strange and glitchy making it so I couldn't search in the All Files Browser again until I re-opened a new session. Needless to say this method didn't work.

Eric - I did as you said, and when I tried opening the alternative sessions I got the same "Operation could not be completed" pop up as before.

I have no idea why this is happening, the only thing I was doing today besides using the Logic Pro session was that I used Pro Tools for a little bit. I don't know if that could somehow mess up my Logic session... but I notice now when I look in a new logic session under Preferences > Audio I see two new input and output options that I don't think i've noticed before and they are called "System Setting" and "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O". Don't know if that will help figure out what the problem is, but I thought I should mention it.

Any tips to prevent this or get around the possibility of a session being corrupted though? I spent near 100 hours on this session so it's pretty hard to justify starting over without having at least an understanding of how to make sure this doesn't keep happening. Thanks-

The only tip worth its salt is to back up: take your back up regimen seriously, save multiple versions of your file, on multiple locations, etc.... Ultimately, as a professional, you are responsible for your files, independent of the tools you choose to use to manipulate those files and what those tools might or might not do to your files. Meaning that you have to protect yourself against the possibility of a tool messing up one of your files.

So basically:

1) You cannot prevent files from being corrupted. This has happened since computers were invented, can happen with any application, and will probably continue to happen (forever?).

2) You can protect yourself even when your files become corrupted: follow a strict backup regimen. I save backup copies of my Logic files every 20 to 30 minutes, and in multiple locations. If the current file becomes corrupted, I have a backup to get back to, and at worst I've lost 20 or 30 minutes of work.

I sometimes put obscene amounts of time into a logic song. If you work at it a really long time, with tons of edits and changes, there is a chance it will get corrupted. Sometimes I save a version, quit Logic and see if it will reopen. Often I can go back to a previous version. hence, the saving, quoting logic and loading again.. otherwise you can see adding to a corrupted song.

Once I've spent a lot of time. I export all midi tracks and audio tracks one by one. I save performances, channel strips. and use desktop photos to take lots of pics. in case I need to reconstruct a song..

A song might get corrupted, you see, weird markers, with total gibberish for names.. or it won't open. Open a new template and drag midi and audio files to the proper tracks, and times. re-assign instrument tracks.. I often put the time frame in an audio region name. along with a picture of exactly where to put it.. It is some work, but, by beginning again with a new project, you lose the corruption.

Thanks for the responses and advice. I've tried uploading a zip file of the session a few times and it uploads to 100% and then disappears and doesn't attach to my post. I can send it through gmail if anyone would be interested in receiving it like that. I understand if not, though. It's near 850 MB, is that why it's not attaching?

Problem solved (kind of)!! Eric suggested a few posts back that I try opening up a backup file from the session, there were many backups, so I tried about 3. None worked and I was getting the same weird "could not complete operation" message for all of them, so I assumed the rest would be the same. However, I tried one more time and one of the backups works (wtf..?) and it only puts me back a few days, which is a HUGE improvement from the situation I thought I was going to be in.

Anyway, thank you all for giving me helpful feedback and I definitely will be hardcore backing up all my sessions and protecting my files like precious jewels from here on out.

• 3 years later...
Try this:

Open Logic then hold down option while you open the the project n question from the File > Open Recent... or Open menu.

You should now be able to see all the alternatives and backups.

See if one of those is willing to open.

This just happened to me - but thanks to Eric this worked for me....thank god!!! Thanks Eric

• 1 year later...
Open Logic, choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio and disable the Core Audio checkbox. Close the pref window and open your session. Does it open?

Hey Master... Thank for your post!, I've done what you wrote and once the session is opened again, as soon as I activate the Audio, it crashes again!.. Any Idea what could I do!?

Thanks in advance!!

Open Logic, choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio and disable the Core Audio checkbox. Close the pref window and open your session. Does it open?

Hey Master... Thank for your post!, I've done what you wrote and once the session is opened again, as soon as I activate the Audio, it crashes again!.. Any Idea what could I do!?

Thanks in advance!!

You're welcome in advance! :mrgreen:

Once the session is open, remove all 3rd party plug-ins from the Mixer, then activate the audio engine. See if Logic is stable? If it is that points to one of the 3rd party plug-ins being the issue (which is often the case). You can then try leaving various plug-ins in in the Mixer when reactivating the audio engine to try to find which one is responsible for the crash.