Project cannot be opened after trying to move it to a folder

laurenk888
Go to solution Solved by laurenk888,

Hello! Tonight I was working on a project as usual and I exported it to send an update to some friends. After it exported I decided to make a backup file (to do that I chose Save As) since I've had some issues with a song before. I save all of my Logic stuff on an external hardrive and I was cleaning it up a bit and tried to put my backup project into a folder. When I did this a screen came up that said something like "preparing (project name) for moving" after that was done both the original (which I didn't move into a folder) and the backup could no longer be opened and became a package containg the folders: Alternatives, Media, and Resources. All of the folders in the Media folder are empty. When I try to open either project a message comes up that says "The operation could not be completed. No other information is available about this problem." I've saved plenty of projects in different folders, but I'm not sure what was different here. Maybe there was an issue when I tried to make a backup? I would really like to access this project again as I'm making a song for my friends and I to learn for Battle of the Bands in the fall, and I really don't want to start over again. Thanks!

I'm a little confused by your description. Saving is not moving, they're two different processes. Saving means choosing "File > Save" in Logic. Moving means drag and dropping a folder or a file in the Finder. Exporting can means several things but usually starts with File > Export in Logic. So I'm not sure what it is you've been doing exactly. Is it possible that you've opened a Logic package and moved a file that was inside the package? If that's what you've done then try to move it back where it was? Whatever it is you've done, try to retrace your back and undo it? Do you have any backups like Time Machine? How did you try to make a backup?

From now on what I would recommend is that you always save your projects (File > Save in Logic) as folders, not as packages. And always have copy audio files into project folder selected in the save dialog. If you want to make a backup, there are two options. Either, in Logic, choose File > Save As and save the project again on an external drive, or close Logic and make a copy of the entire project folder onto an external drive.

• Solution
Thank you for the response! I honestly have no idea what happened, but I was somehow able to fix it. I've never had an error quite like this before. Although now I'm making sure that I have duplicates of projects on my laptop and on my external hard drive.