Logic 10,3 is here.

Kim Olesen

I view them as two separate concepts. 

UI is concerned only with the interface elements and their layout. 

UX is concerned about the entire customer's perception of the product while using it, and their experience while using it. 

So...

UI = product's interface. 

UX = user's perception of the interface while using the product. 

It would be nice if we could adjust the number of recent plug-ins in the plug-in manager. I'm not sure how useful "Recent items" really is in that shortcut menu. Do I ever need to have a quick access to plug-ins I recently used on another track? 

To me some of the best UI moves Apple made lately in that regard were the following shortcuts: 

• Click EQ Thumbnail to insert Channel EQ. 
  • Click Gain Reduction meter to insert Compressor. 

I do find the Recent items useful sometimes, especially when producing consecutively similar projects , which calls the use of the same plugins. It would however be nice to have some control over that feature (On/Off, number of items, pertaining to project/template, etc).

I agree with you that the EQ thumbnail and the Gain reduction bar are definitely highly useful UI features, which I can't imagine being withdrawn...

In earlier versions of Logic X, you couldn't make a copy of a midi region on a frozen track on to a new track, which you should be able to, because you are not actually changing the frozen track. You also couldn't open the piano roll editor, or event list, or examine region parameters, like swing %. This was then fixed, and you could do all those things, and create copied regions from frozen tracks, which is as it should be. In 10.3, it is again not possible. 

But back to the Events list, why do you use it every time you use Logic? Maybe I'm missing something that can be useful ;) 

Well, I use it constantly as a reference. I can see at a glance if a note is swung properly or not, and whether the length is proper or not, or if it got placed improperly or not (it happens). I use it to move notes laterally and change lengths, because it is more precise than dragging in the PR. I also use it to move notes vertically (unless using key codes). It is also a really handy way to edit pitch bend events and velocities. The built-in key code to display it is simply 'D', so I invoke it most of the time if I'm in the piano roll, and turn it off when in the main window.

I can't imagine life without it. If you try this for a day or two, you might fall in love, too.

Ok! I finally found the culprit of my Logic Remote (and Omnisphere OmniTR) connection problem with Logic Pro X (v.10.3):

the system's firewall!

Logic Pro was set (God knows how, but definitely not by me) to block all incoming connection!

Setting Logic to accept incoming connection requests in the Firewal, make things work but sometimes with drop offs.

Turning completely off the Firewall ensures a more reliable connection.

Both apps now work fine via WiFi, adhoc network or BlueTooth.

Hoping this could help someone else, here is the Apple Support  link that explains the solution that solved my problem.

Big THANX to everyone (Arnaud, Pete, Jordi, etc) who chimed in! Really appreciated your support!

Maybe the THANX should go to you. I have never been able to get remote to talk to LPX, and now I have something to check out. With 3 large monitors, I don't really need it, but I see the value if you are in the sound booth and want to control a DAW in another room while you record yourself.

Oh, pre/post fader now more "logical" in the mixer too :)

http://i.imgur.com/gsNPDmq.png

I find this a great addition, because before there was no indication distinguishing post pan from post fader.

Everything is defaulted to PF, but a PF stereo reverb send centers the reverb response, which is not natural.

PP moves the reverb response in direct accordance with the instrument, also not natural.

What does sound natural is if the reverb PARTLY moves towards the panned instrument, because the reflective environment itself does not move, but an instrument stage left or stage right will reflect off the whole room, so there are reflections from the entire room, but more from the side the instrument is on.

I set my reverbs (sends) to 67% stereo so that the reverb from a widely panned instrument (set to PP) doesn't move as far as the instrument itself does, which makes everything sound like it was recorded in the same environment. (unless I don't). This seems to glue everything together better. 

But back to the Events list, why do you use it every time you use Logic? Maybe I'm missing something that can be useful ;) 

Well, I use it constantly as a reference. I can see at a glance if a note is swung properly or not, and whether the length is proper or not, or if it got placed improperly or not (it happens). I use it to move notes laterally and change lengths, because it is more precise than dragging in the PR. I also use it to move notes vertically (unless using key codes). It is also a really handy way to edit pitch bend events and velocities. The built-in key code to display it is simply 'D', so I invoke it most of the time if I'm in the piano roll, and turn it off when in the main window.

I can't imagine life without it. If you try this for a day or two, you might fall in love, too.

i understand people use it in a more "surgical" way, but that's exactly why I don't understand the need of being so "perfect" with how long the note is or how "in place" it is, when music is about sound, it's not about a grid. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Actually it's the imperfection of music that makes it organic. I can totally say I would not love working with the Events list, because it becomes too"mechanical" and less "organic". And don't get me wrong, I align stuff too when necessary, but I do it in the Piano Roll or in the standard automation window (pitch bends and all that as well). As long as it sounds good to my ears, I don't really spend too much time analyzing if a note is at 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.146 (or something like that). ;)

But hey, if it works for the people who use it, that's what matters. I was really just looking at more "practical" approaches, rather than just being surgical. Like tricks to do stuff I don't already do on my own workflow. Quantize works great for me to align things. When I want to move notes up, I have a shortcut for that to move one semi tone or a whole octave, so it always stays in place. I also have a shortcut for the legato option. Stuff like that. I don't really see how the Events window would be more helpful than what I already do.

But thanks for explaining :)

you can create more human groove by using the Humanize function, which I use quite often. If I want something more human and natural, I just use the Humanize and eventually adjust one or two notes by hand that sound a bit off. But it's always faster and easier for me to just click the note, drag it and then listen to the result. If it sounds good, it's in the right spot :)

If that works for you, good. I use Humanize (start time only) if a comp chord is too 'attack-y', because 10 ticks will soften it with a tiny bit of arpeggio. And that actually does sound human, because a piano chord is not hit with all notes precisely at the same time.

In everything I do, though I typically quantize with a 16th/B swing first. People always talk about 'finding the pocket' or 'the groove'. Well, I found it. A 16th B swing puts all odd 16ths precisely on the grid and delays all even 16ths by 20 ticks. That is much closer to 'human' than Humanize can be (which is random). If downbeats are not precisely on the grid, percussive songs lose energy, so you want those precise. But upbeats precisely on the grid are what sounds robotic. Drum rolls machine gun without this. Solo runs sound amateurish. 16th B swing solves all issues. It makes the downbeats precise, so the timing isn't sloppy, and humanizes the upbeats by moving them off the grid a precise amount, which is when music sounds its best. The best players do this instinctively.

When I started, I had full quantize, no swing. But I went back and 'B swung' every track (some jazz is C or D), and every song got instantly better rhythmically.

OK, I am not sure if this is new since 10.2.2, or not. Also, maybe not an issue. But if you invoke EDIT > TEMPO > DETECT TEMPO... it seems to be much more accurate. And along with the average tempo there is a feature that can set the tempo per beat.

So if someone gives you an audio track that is good enough to not flex yet not perfect, it is easy now to conform added tracks to that track.

I'm finding that, for the first time I can remember, when wanting to clean up unused audio files in the sequence, using the Select Unused is buggy, the function misses files and I have to select/delete them manually. Quite a PITA.

Overhere it doesn´t select unused regions at all. in version 10.2.4 Logic used to select unused audiofiles and unused regions. Now only unused audiofiles get selected.

Not a bug, but an annoyance for me. When adding a plug in, theres the "recents" list up top. Anyway to get rid of that section? 

So far I've really been enjoying this update! 

Yeah, I opened a thread if someone knows a way to deactivate that.... my plugin list got much more confusing and longer 

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 14.03.16.png

Would you mind explaining how to create custom instruments which show up above Logic's category folders?

I'm not wanting to MERGE the new notes, but REPLACE... I'm now seeing that it was this way in 10.2.4  But in Logic 9 (see below) doing the same action REPLACES all of the area inside the looped part. (It's hard to see.. but the whole measure is replaced even though I only played in the middle of the measure.)  Strange I never noticed this before.  

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 11.12.03 AM.png

Interesting but I think this could simply be  a workflow issue here which one hates adjusting to and I sympathise  ... 

Although I havent yet got Logic 10.3  the change you describe would not affect me because when  I want to replace a Midi part I never use Record mode ( an old trick I learnt from Ski years ago) .. I always use Capture Last Take thus:  

1 Set Locators via the part of the Region  I want to re record

2 Cut region  by Locator Left and Right KC & delete that part of the region so I start with blank space in the region

3   Put in Cycle mode and hit play let it Cycle listening but not playing.. 

4  Do one lightening pass and hit space bar to stop

5 Capture Last Take as recording

6 If I dont like what I played just delete the region and go back to 3. until I am happy with the take

This is a very player orientated way of working because I am trying to improve my keyboard playing/execution ... 

Am curious if this would work for you? 

I'm finding that, for the first time I can remember, when wanting to clean up unused audio files in the sequence, using the Select Unused is buggy, the function misses files and I have to select/delete them manually. Quite a PITA.

I find it does not work at all - I use this on every project and not having "Select Unused" is a killer !  I have reported this to apple ..  is this now a known bug ? 

i understand people use it in a more "surgical" way, but that's exactly why I don't understand the need of being so "perfect" with how long the note is or how "in place" it is, when music is about sound, it's not about a grid. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Actually it's the imperfection of music that makes it organic. I can totally say I would not love working with the Events list, because it becomes too"mechanical" and less "organic". And don't get me wrong, I align stuff too when necessary, but I do it in the Piano Roll or in the standard automation window (pitch bends and all that as well). As long as it sounds good to my ears, I don't really spend too much time analyzing if a note is at 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.146 (or something like that). ;)

But hey, if it works for the people who use it, that's what matters. I was really just looking at more "practical" approaches, rather than just being surgical. Like tricks to do stuff I don't already do on my own workflow. Quantize works great for me to align things. When I want to move notes up, I have a shortcut for that to move one semi tone or a whole octave, so it always stays in place. I also have a shortcut for the legato option. Stuff like that. I don't really see how the Events window would be more helpful than what I already do.

Make Groove Templates

If you don't use them, your missing out on the single most important function that introduces the natural feel from some of the worlds best machines, drummers, tracks in to the machine environment.

Like the swing of the MPC2000? Sample it, convert to midi, make groove template. Like the groove of your favourite EDM producer? Sample it, convert to midi, make groove template. Like the groove of your favourite drummer? Sample it, convert to midi, make groove template. The use of Make Groove Templates (or set groove track) goes on and on and is vital in making tracks that have a feel that gives tracks character and longevity.

The only place to edit the positioning of these notes (as well as length, velocity, aftertouch, midi CC etc) in a list format is the event list. I personally don't know a logic user that doesn't use it with frequency. 

I know Humanize. but it should be called randomise because there is nothing human about it.

I'm really enjoying this update, funny that show recent plugs is of so much use to me. I'm vacillating between 2-5 tracks per day and this feature really does super speed up my work flow. The track alternatives and the audio track signal processing are amazing for both composition and sound design.

Make Groove Templates

If you don't use them, your missing out on the single most important function that introduces the natural feel from some of the worlds best machines, drummers, tracks in to the machine environment.

Like the swing of the MPC2000? Sample it, convert to midi, make groove template. Like the groove of your favourite EDM producer? Sample it, convert to midi, make groove template. Like the groove of your favourite drummer? Sample it, convert to midi, make groove template. The use of Make Groove Templates (or set groove track) goes on and on and is vital in making tracks that have a feel that gives tracks character and longevity.

The only place to edit the positioning of these notes (as well as length, velocity, aftertouch, midi CC etc) in a list format is the event list. I personally don't know a logic user that doesn't use it with frequency. 

I know Humanize. but it should be called randomise because there is nothing human about it.

I'm really enjoying this update, funny that show recent plugs is of so much use to me. I'm vacillating between 2-5 tracks per day and this feature really does super speed up my work flow. The track alternatives and the audio track signal processing are amazing for both composition and sound design.

my joy is in playing things, then using smart quantize. i occasionally have to move a note or two, but otherwise this gives me what i played, and a sense of precision...

"Make Groove Templates

I know Humanize. but it should be called randomise because there is nothing human about it..."

Mmmmmm. Nope. Not for me. I can see the beauty; its a cool idea, but I have not found a practical use for it. (Humanize, yes. And you are correct, what it does is randomize, and good players do not play randomly. Still nice to soften chord attacks and give a little variance when chords repeat by randomizing the velocity and start times of the notes, however.)

You may consider GTs the most important thing. I consider something else the most important thing. I might be missing out on what others feel is important, but I'll get over it.

But we are probably doing very different kinds of music. I will never knock EDM, it has its validity, but the best thing about it for me is it has attracted competing 'musicians and producers' away from the music I do, thinning the herd.

But swing works for my music. I took a number of the best songs, groove-wise, that I could find, R&B, rock, and jazz, and pulled each one into LPX so that I could analyze the groove by examining the waveform. You can do this, too. What I found without exception was that all instruments are played precisely with B/16th swing (except for certain triplet-swing jazz which is 'D' swing in LPX). That got me to use B swing, and it made everything groove better.

A great drummer like Buddy Miles does this instinctively. I come from an era where 'That guy is a machine" was the ultimate compliment. Drummers strive to play in perfect time, except that legendary drummers play in perfect B swing. If a drummer does actually play in perfect quantized time, however, then he sounds like a machine. A robot. But if he plays in perfect B swing, he sounds like a MF.

But EDM? I guess that wouldn't work. Just fully Q-tize the eff out of it and you're probably half-way home. What floats each of our boats is what floats each of our boats, Still, advice from outside my little box is always welcome, and usually helpful, so thanks for that.

Hello,

A quick question please: since I updated to 10.3 I have noticed that when selecting several regions (whether MIDI or audio) in the Tracks area and trying to split them at a certain location using the Marquee tool it only splits the one I click on (as opposed to splitting all selected regions at the same point as it used to do). Any idea of what is causing this and how to be back to splitting multiple regions at the same time?

Thank you in advance for your time and help,

Y

Hello,

A quick question please: since I updated to 10.3 I have noticed that when selecting several regions (whether MIDI or audio) in the Tracks area and trying to split them at a certain location using the Marquee tool it only splits the one I click on (as opposed to splitting all selected regions at the same point as it used to do). Any idea of what is causing this and how to be back to splitting multiple regions at the same time?

Thank you in advance for your time and help,

Y

I don't seem to have the problem here. All is working as expected.

selection-based processing.. without undo ??? I mean without destroying the original file.. ? ..

mmm.. apple apple.. Always doing things  "Half The Way" .. they give one option but they don't give you the Logic one.. undo. ¡ mm.... The Team from Apple that works on Logic Pro X

Really Needs an Update....  just learn from Steinberg team.. or .... Studio One.. .. a lot of things to be done.. on logic pro x.. very very slow steps.. 2017.

Zambra, why not just check the "create new take" check box?  That way you have the new and the old to choose from on-screen.