Logic 10,3 is here.

Kim Olesen

Hi guys.

So I have the "marquee tool click zones" checked in the preferences giving me the marquee tool when I´m in the lower part of a region. However, if I hit "A" to see my automation it used to be that the marquee tool was still available in the lower part of the region making editing of automatin easy. Now the marquee tool is gone in automation mode unless i choose as a tool in the tool menu. Is this a bug or a new functionality?

Thanks

bigisland

It is the same behaviour here with 10.2.4 and 10.3. If automation mode is active, I have to hold command, or choose the marquee in the the tool menu to get the marquee available again. 

edited: Seems a graphic bug indeed, at least in 10.2.4 The pointer comes back to the pointer tool when I activated the automation but in fact this the marquee tool that is active when you click the region. In 10.3, he pointer comes back to the pointer tool when I activated the automation and and stays in the pointer mode of operation as long as automation is activated. It comes back to the marquee when the automation is turned off .

Hi Guys, i have been working on my new orchestral template in the new logic pro 10.3  and I think this version has a lot of bugs. After 150 tracks on my template some times - with multitimbral kontatk - I can't create track from aux track in the mix. If I add another Multitimbral instrument I can add the aux track to the sequencer. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I'm using with VEP6 and Without and always the same problem. I made the same template in DP9 without problems. I like the workflow of logic but always has a log of bugs

Is 10.3 reading midi files correctly?

I opened up a blank project.

Opened the Loop browser. 

Clicked on a few different software instrument loops. Found a couple I liked. 

"12 string Dream 06" in particular. 

Clicked and dragged it onto the timeline. Press play.

Not only does it sound a little different it is also missing notes from the melody. I click and listen to the preview then listen to what's on the track and it's not the same.

Auditioning other software instrument loops has similar results. 

Anyone else?

Ed.

Is 10.3 reading midi files correctly?

I opened up a blank project.

Opened the Loop browser. 

Clicked on a few different software instrument loops. Found a couple I liked. 

"12 string Dream 06" in particular. 

Clicked and dragged it onto the timeline. Press play.

Not only does it sound a little different it is also missing notes from the melody. I click and listen to the preview then listen to what's on the track and it's not the same.

Auditioning other software instrument loops has similar results. 

Anyone else?

Ed.

Buggy indeed Ed. 10.3 is green. 

2011 iMac running El Capitan with Logic 10.2.4--my sequences often quit unexpectedly when I have lots of plugins applied.  Would updating to 10.3 help or hurt?

Is the CPU maxed out?

Thanks for the question.  I will check Activity Monitor next time it happens.  But your question also led me to realize I can double the RAM in this machine if it comes down to it, so much appreciated.

Hello everyone. MCU issues.

-Mackie MCU [original gray+black with 2.2 driver] In Logic Pro mode.

-The displays to the right of the digital strip has corrupted values.

The "assignment" display has parts of the numerical missing though it is working at one point. It doesn't seem to like the number "2".

Click the different assignment buttons to see what I mean.

-the "bars" counter flashes the numbers instead of just increasing in value as the song goes along.

i.e.: [blinks 1...blinks 2...blinks 3...etc...]

Anyone else???

Thx.

Ed.

The "Marquee" tool is giving me weird cuts.

-highlight inside a part of a loop file and click in the selection. Nothing happens. Try again and double click the cuts are everywhere. I'm expecting two cuts. I'm getting like 4.

Ed.

Edit: ok so if I hover towards the top of the file and hold "option" and select a range in a audio file and click in that range the expected behavior happens. 

Though if I hover towards the bottom of the file and it becomes the Marquee tool and then select a region inside a file...click within that region=nothing happens.

Im sure it's project specific. Just started happening in this project. I'd already sent a few other aux's to become tracks so I could arrange em, then it just stopped working. You're correct in that it's an sux being fed by a buss.

I can confirm this has started happening to me too, new project created in 10.3.

I've found if I create a new AUX, then immediately create a second new AUX, I can create a track from the second one created. So I've been doing this, then deleting the first one.

Logic Pro X 10.3.0 event float will only move one event at a time since upgrading from 10.2

Meaning if you lasso a bunch of regions or notes and use the event float to move them all at the same time

NOW it will only allow you to move the first region or note you selected.

This behavior started after updating. It is seriously slowing down my workflow can anyone help me with this.

Thanks folks

Logic Pro X 10.3.0 event float will only move one event at a time since upgrading from 10.2

Meaning if you lasso a bunch of regions or notes and use the event float to move them all at the same time

NOW it will only allow you to move the first region or note you selected.

This behavior started after updating. It is seriously slowing down my workflow can anyone help me with this.

Thanks folks

Confirmed ! 

Wow...a big issue for me too !

I hope it will be fixed quickly.

The workaround is to zoom in at max and control + drag the regions/events...

I'm digging this version. I like it when they change up the graphics because it feels shiny and new! If you don't like it, wait awhile, they'll change it again or use a skin. I'll take solid, fast performance over fancy graphics any day of the week. 

The peeling back of audio and seeing what's underneath is awesome. Loving the balance pans, the alternate takes...there are so many little enhancements that once you start using them, it just feels right and you can't remember it not being there. Stoked that they continue to refine it and are releasing updates on a regular basis!

+1

...but still, there are some improvement and corrections to bring (i.e. the decimal in the fader readout)

I find I usually have to delete and download the manuals again. I think I've only seen the 'Update' option once or twice.

Funny..I opened iBooks and all the new manuals were just waiting for me to download (as usual for all updates).

Maybe check that you're still logged into your account in iBooks.

The manual update finally showed up after few days.(!)

Anyhow, thanx  for your inputs.

Some day I might convert to using just stock plugins. I can see how doing so would eliminate incompatibility, authorization issues and upgrade costs (or any sort of costs for that matter). We'll see. I've already started making the transition and using as many built in plugins as possible. 

Depending of the music you are making, some 3rd party plugins are definitely better than Logic's stock ones.

No great plugin will make a crappy song or vocal performance sound amazing. But a great song will sound good even with the "worst" plugins (to be honest, we got to a point where the difference in quality between the "good ones" and the "bad ones" is so small, that it doesn't even make sense anymore to say some plugin are "bad" (unless, of course, they are just cheap programs made by people who have no idea what they are doing. I don't think Apple developers are included...) :)

IMHO, there are differences between plugins that are definitely noteworthy.

A good song will be wasted if badly processed.

Many plugins have fundamental (ifnot only) purpose to clean up crappy sound.

By experience I know that a good mix could be amazingly enhanced by a multitude of judicious tweaks here and there, achieved most often by the use of different algorythms coming from different plugins (brands).

Edited by Atlas007

No, it's actually the opposite, because I don't waste time trying 10 different plugins for the same purpose. Also, when I'm creating music I'm already making certain decisions. Sometimes I have great mixes just with volume,, panning and some reverbs and delays ;)

if that's the way you work, cool. for me... everything is subject to change. i might change a sound at the very last minute, or an actual part. sometimes, i'll try different sounds just to see what happens, and sometimes, find something better. whatever method works, as long as the music is on point. my only thought is this: the more open you are, the more chance of making new discoveries; and where would music (or tech, for that matter), be, without discovery?

+1

I'm digging this version. I like it when they change up the graphics because it feels shiny and new! If you don't like it, wait awhile, they'll change it again or use a skin. I'll take solid, fast performance over fancy graphics any day of the week. 

The peeling back of audio and seeing what's underneath is awesome. Loving the balance pans, the alternate takes...there are so many little enhancements that once you start using them, it just feels right and you can't remember it not being there. Stoked that they continue to refine it and are releasing updates on a regular basis!

+1

...but still, there are some improvement and corrections to bring (i.e. the decimal in the fader readout)

Funnily, on certain systems (this depends on the country) where the decimal is a coma and not a dot, this is very legible... But +1 anyway, obviously. Btw, I'm pretty sure there's a system preference where you can change the display of the decimal into a coma, might be a temporary workaround untill they issue a new release fixing this. To be tested...

Must admit, i quite liked this feature to start with, but last night i done some Logic work on my MacBook, and the recent plugins on the smaller screen was really annoying.

Like stardust, i too already have custom favourites at the top so it worsens the 'issue'.  It would be nice to have a preference menu for disabling it, but still, a great idea and good to see Logic team seeking out worklflow/ui* improvements.

*Or is it UX now? I think that's the fancy word everyones using. :)