Logic 10,3 is here.

Kim Olesen

That UI will take some getting used to. I don't like the flatness of it at all. I know that's the trend right know but I think music applications should be an exception. I like my audio applications to look like serious tools, not like my wife's latest scrapbooking project.

It's like they read my mind with the "adding tracks to Logic projects via iCloud and GarageBand iOS". I literally just asked for that feature on this forum a few days ago. I know it has nothing to do with it but man, what a coincidence!

That UI will take some getting used to. I don't like the flatness of it at all. I know that's the trend right know but I think music applications should be an exception. I like my audio applications to look like serious tools, not like my wife's latest scrapbooking project.

Well, consider that it's maybe not just an aesthetic thing, with it being OSX 10.11 upwards and the new look in gui, i wouldn't be surprised if they're running on new graphic libraries using more modern routines and as such relying on core foundations to render the display at a lower system level (i.e. in hardware).

It's definitely much snappier for me with a loaded project window open, and that's what i look for in a 'pro' application, stability, reliability and the best workflow possible.

It's like they read my mind with the "adding tracks to Logic projects via iCloud and GarageBand iOS". I literally just asked for that feature on this forum a few days ago. I know it has nothing to do with it but man, what a coincidence!

You mean with wannabe analog looking knobs that have no real benefit aside looking like their hardware counterparts anyone barely uses anymore? I hate skeumorphism in audio apps, in fact, this looks more "serious" and professional than previous iteration. It's surgical, clean and transparent

I rarely complain when Apple does updates. I like the new flat look because FCPX is now flat. But when FCPX was updated Apple had the good sense to keep it dark. The Custom Slider inside Logic's Prefs will not make it Darker than the current Dark preset... That sux and it needs to be fixed! That's my only complaint at first look!

I'm getting the "alt-drag to duplicate" bug in the main window with 10.3: the duplicated region will always end up 2 divisions ahead of target, whatever snap option I go for.

Only projects created with a previous version and opened in 10.3 will be affected, new projects are fine. Trashing the preferences won't solve it.

Did anyone experience this and manage to fix it? 

Thanks

EDIT: I'd set the start marker 2 divisions before 00:00:00 on this particular project. Setting it back to 0 did the trick, but it needs to stay there or the alt drag bug comes back.

Edited by 9u10m

Took the plunge and finally updated to OS X 10.11.6 from 10.10.5 so I could upgrade to Logic 10.3, happy to report all went well! Love the new Logic features, lots of little enhancements. The GUI changes were a bit of a shock at first but they're growing on me. Mac feels a little snappier than it was on 10.10.5 as well, so that's cool :)

Hi, where did you get the  10.11.6 update installer from? I can only update to Sierra via the App Store. I tried that out earlier this month and reverted to 10.9 because it was unusably slow.

Stereo Pan is great but is there a way to have each side tuck in together, like if I want to narrow a piano track? I'm moving the left and then moving the right but I wish I could hold option and they'd move toward the center together. 

why not use the Direction Mixer for that? i do this all the time (for example, to narrow a piano track, usually around 64%)...

Stereo Pan is great but is there a way to have each side tuck in together, like if I want to narrow a piano track? I'm moving the left and then moving the right but I wish I could hold option and they'd move toward the center together. 

why not use the Direction Mixer for that? i do this all the time (for example, to narrow a piano track, usually around 64%)...

You can narrow or widen the image by grabbing the little white lines at the edges of the green pan width area, if that's what you meant?

I noticed that when Command-clicking on the stereo panner, the ring around it turns orange. Anyone found out what that means?

Found it already:

• To invert the right and left channels, Command-click anywhere inside the Stereo Pan knob or ring. The signal ring changes color from green to orange (or back again).

Mark